Hear ye! Help spend my money!

Jsweezy

Explorer
All powerful, all knowing, blue oval fans of expedition portal!

I have decided to step back up to a super duty platform and have found two ideal candidates and would love y’all’s help deciding. I feel like I can go either way and be happy but which truck will provide more in the long run? I could care less about creature comforts but I do appreciate them. I care more about functionality and what the platform can provide. Both are able to tow my travel trailer just fine which is the main reason for stepping up from my F150 (which I freaking love) and I’m helping my family by selling it to them for a steal because they have helped me a lot in the past.

Please throw your two cents at me for which you would choose and why?

Thanks!9A9A7491-56C4-4FD0-8E34-CAC5DF23124E.jpeg

I would go crew cab long bed F350. Has the higher payload so there is an ability to put a truck xamper without worry about payload. However you said you will be pulling a trailer so payload may not matter.

Trailer brake controller, upfitter switches, camper/snow plow package, dual battery, 397 amp alternator. Seems like someone spec'd this for recreational use. Sync 3 screen is nice and all I would need. With apple CarPlay or android auto you have navigation that updates... so the navigation package on the f250 would be a waste of money.

The F250 is charging 300 more for the 7.3 and then the 3000 package does nothing for me. Also f250 is 3.55 axle vs F350 3.73. I would save the 5000 and get the more capable truck (F350).

tacollie

Glamper
F250 has a shorter wheelbase, heated seats, and over 3000lbs payload. Even with the 3.55s it has a lower first then my 6.2 with the 6 speed. The wheelbase of the the F350 would rule it out for me. But the wheelbase of the crew cab short bed ruled that out for us to!

billiebob

Everyone buys a QuadCab, but do you need, use a backseat.
Me, I'd take a longbox, regular cab for the more maneuverable wheelbase.
Otherwise they look the same. Yes, gas engine for sure.
3.73 vs 3.55.....
If you are keeping stock rubber, go for 3.55s
If you plan on bumping up to larger rubber, go fir the 3.73s.
Locking dif.... DEFINITELY !!

ps, I'd go for the XL

jbaucom

The F350 has the better specs, but are you ready to make the leap from an F150 to a crew cab long bed Super Duty - that's a lot of truck for a daily driver. Do you intend to add accessories that will take advantage of the aux switches on the F350? You can negotiate the addition of the OE trailer brake control to the F250. What's the weight of your travel trailer? Either of these should be more than sufficient if you've been towing with a F150. Do you intend to upsize the tires? If so, the 3.73 gears would be an advantage if you plan to step up above a 34" tire.

I like the specs of the XL, but there's no way I'd buy the 176" wheelbase truck to drive everyday. I'd expand my search (or consider ordering exactly what you want) to find a crew-cab, short-bed equipped like that F350.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I like the specs of the XL, but there's no way I'd buy the 176" wheelbase truck to drive everyday. I'd expand my search (or consider ordering exactly what you want) to find a crew-cab, short-bed equipped like that F350.

That’s some good advice right there. That long wheelbase is great for stability while pulling a trailer, but pretty miserable for most other driving.

Explorerinil

Observer
Tremor package, in an f250 that will get you the same suspension as an f350 but with a sticker that has a lower gvrw (may help in insurance and registration depending on where you live) plus you’ll get standard 4:30 gears with the 7.3.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Thank you all so much for the help!

GrindMonkey - Thats kind of what I was thinking, it looks specd out to be a good work/fun truck while the F250 seemed to have most of the bells and whistles but maybe miss out on the items like the alternator and camper package that would open up options for the future. Oh and the dual battery option I thought would be nice.

Jadmt - Yep, I noticed the same and I think my wife would appreciate the seat heaters on the F250 but for 5k dollars more than the F350 I keep looking back at the cheaper almost more "capable" option. I am not too worried about gearing as I plan to leave it stock for a long time if not for the entire time I own it.

Tacollie - I know, its a toss up for sure. I do like the thought of the heated seats for my wife but is it worth the extra 5K? ha ha

BillieBob - Yep, definitely need the quad cab. I have 2 kids and am also in a wheelchair and that goes in the back "40" section of the rear seat when I am driving. I hop in the through the back door and pull it in the stash it there. I would be keeping stock rubber for a while if not for the life of the truck. Maybe go a smidge bigger but I am hoping the 10 speed would help me out. Kind of leaning towards the 350 for that reason, a decent leveling kit on those long bed F350s seems like it does the trick.

Jbaucom - Ya, I am ready. I have had an F250 short bed before and I swear the entire time I owned it all I did was look at the long beds. I also end up hauling sports equipment and stuff around thats usually just a bit longer than the 6.5' bed and I remember when I had my F250 hating that I couldnt shut the tailgate without having to get in and adjust it. I would really need to drive it to see I guess but I am thinking I might as well go bigger now that I have the chance. I also dont really "daily" anymore unless I want/need to and I can always borrow my wifes car if I have to.

Ableguy - What part makes it miserable? I do plan to put a camper shell on the back either way so that might calm down the long rear end being stiff.

Explorerinil - I really wanted to look at that tremor route because it does seem really cool but I cant justify the extra 10k dollars that those seem to cost over these options and I am not sure how I feel about a front limited slip axle yet. I would rather have it lock or not, but thats just me. I am also thinking the 4:30 might be a little low for most of my use and that the 3.73 would probably do better on fuel mileage. I am fairly capable at suspension an what not so I could always add the "tremor" stuff later (besides the gearing) myself if I really wanted to put the work in.

jbaucom

If you're willing to order, you can get a nicely equipped F250 XLT Tremor with the 7.3, dual batteries, 397 amp alternator, and auxiliary switches that stickers under $55,000. If you've been frustrated by the short bed in the past, this is not an option, since the Tremor is only available with the 6.75' bed. You may get lucky and find one at a dealer somewhere that's pretty basic as well. I know the first Tremor I saw at our local dealer was a 7.3 F250 and stickered for a little over $55,000. Of course, purchase price depends on how well a dealer will discount a Tremor vs a more pedestrian 4x4 or FX4.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Jbaucom - That’s a good point, I don’t usually order as I’m not that picky and can usually find the basics of what I need on the lot. I suppose ordering could be a possibility.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Update!!

F250 is sold so I either take the long bed or order something I want.

the F350 did have some sort of transportation damage and I’m secretly hoping it’s something cosmetic that I can just tell them to knock the price down and I’ll take it ha ha.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Ableguy - What part makes it miserable? I do plan to put a camper shell on the back either way so that might calm down the long rear end being stiff.

Sorry for not being clear... It’s not the ride.
It’s just the enormous turning radius. The HD 4x4’s seem to have even a more restrictive turning ability. So...Parking anywhere is a PITA. And any for off pavement use on really narrow or winding dirt roads that are tree or boulder crowded...foggedaboutdit!

I had a brand new full size, ex-cab, long bed that I got rid of way too soon because of that parking headache and off-road maneuverability issues. I like my ex-cab SWB full size much, much better.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Ableguy - Got it. Makes sense. I’m in Boise where I see so many long beds cruising around it’s making me feel better. Plus anywhere I go it’s usually fairly open and if not then I have the handicapped placard vip parking spot just in case ha ha ha.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Went down and checked out the xl today. If I wanted to go with a blue color and spend an extra 7k I could get a short bed model with the 7.3 but I’m a white truck kind of guy so unless I see something else available I think this will turn into some sort of info thread about this type of vehicle!

Attachments

• EE1D53AF-AC86-4778-8E2C-7F378824E7DD.jpeg
    EE1D53AF-AC86-4778-8E2C-7F378824E7DD.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 21

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior