Headroom overyour platform mattress

Lynnrb

Observer
I have about 29" of headroom over my 4" thick mattress. This is tight when dressing/undressing. Anyone find a comfortable height over the your sleeping platform?

robert

Expedition Leader
That's one of the reasons I never went with a platform in either truck. :) Not comfortable to climb into, especially during bad weather, and even worse to try to wait out bad weather. Difficult to actually do anything like change clothes, play cards, sit up and read or use the laptop, cook, pursue carnal activities, etc. Instead I have a carpeted plywood floor with a box running the left side of the truck. It allows me to use the truck for carrying most stuff but I can leave it set up for camping (I leave a good bit of camping gear loaded in it).

blackwood

Adventurer
I have about 2 inches to spare over my head when seated upright. I'll take that. I don't have any trouble dressing, eating, sitting, etc. My truck cap is a mid rise roof and not the sleeker straight one.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
My set-up is kinda tight in the back of my 4-Runner but I do fine back there when it's just me. Yeti cooler makes a nice "nightstand" next to my bed. No room to sit up and change but I can read and chill out of the elements.

I also have an awning that gets me out of the weather to change clothes or when I'm trying to squeeze my fat *** in the back of my rig.

cliniford

Observer
I have an extra tall commercial canopy on my Dodge 2500 and there is 40" from sleep platform to roof. Which is really nice because I'm 6'5"....

WheelsUp

Observer
Anyone have measurement for a comfortable height while sitting on your platform?

I think this is going to depend on your height. When I had the platform in my truck, my wife at 5'3" could sit up but me being 6'1" could not. I don't recall what the distance to the top was, but my platform was 8" tall and my shell has no noticeable rise. I'd say take a measurement seated from the seat surface to the top of your head to use as a starting point.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Anyone have measurement for a comfortable height while sitting on your platform?

As stated, it sort of depends on your height. When I was starting to sweat this for my van build, I just sat against a wall and make a chalk mark for the top of my head. Measure floor to the mark, and that was sort of my minimum headroom.

chet6.7

Explorer

Factor in how high you want your platform,foam pad,thick sleeping bag ect.
My previous truck was an 8' bed with a Callen camper tall enough to almost stand.
I forgot the height of my current DCU on a 6.4' bed but it is getting tight.I insulated the floor,put foam flooring over that and insulated the cap as well. I find as I get older,and injuries take their toll, I need a higher platform to be comfortable putting shoes on ect.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz