Headlights for 1120

Neil

Observer
Ours too. It's like having a couple of candles in there. They are that old yellowish look.

I simply added a couple of LED spot lamps under the bumper.

We try not to drive at night so it's not a major issue.

I will be interested in your solution

Neil

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
The gentleman who imported our 917 replaced both headlights with a set of four LED light bars. The light is excellent, but, they have not DOT or similar stamp and, as they don't get hot, may be useless in heavy snow.

I would go with add on LED lights. The trick may be finding ones with a low enough output.
kirwin-15.jpg

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Thanks guys, I ended up ordering some P45T H4 Halogen bulbs https://www.ebay.com/itm/161794671964. The bulbs that are in the truck are the R2 globe type with the P45T base. They were 55w/50 and I ones I ordered are 100/90. Hopefully way brighter. Was not able to find any LED's in the USA (just searching online) and would like to have some before we head back south in a few days.

And yes, one of ours was not even candle bright :rolleyes:. Pulled it out and there appears to be 2 bulbs in there a very small one (guessing it is the daytime running light?) and this P45T bulb. The main bulb was blackened. I agree about driving at night but we have the last few days driven right after dark trying to make miles (just drove from Florida to Vermont). Decided we really needed to light things up better including side marker lights (on my long list of TODO's) and reflective tape. If these headlights do not light things up enough I will be looking for some driving lights.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hi Diplostrat, to reduce LED output on low beam you could look at a Skene IQ-275 dimmer. Two outputs for two pairs of lights if you wanted, each output can be set at 10% increments perhaps to suit low and high beam switching?

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
So I see lots of cars with driving lights built in (ours does) but searching online for some 24v aftermarket ones seems a bit tricky. Lots of lights but more say for off-road use. We want more light but do not want to blind oncoming traffic. Anyone know of some good quality DOT approved LED driving lights?

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi fella. I'd be renewing the standard lights with new originals (as they are available worldwide, and approved), and then adding some roof lights (with the option to cover them, as some countries are a bit funny re roof lights. We plan to run new originals in the bumper and 4 big round units on the cab mounted roof rack. The two inner ones will be driving lights with pencil beams operated through High Beam, and the two outers will have a wide spread and be angled slightly towards the verge/medium strip and switchable (for roo/wildlife spotting and avoidance etc). Somewhere hidden in the middle of those 4 lights will be a K5LA! ;) (For those that dont know what a K5LA is, look up "K5LA at night" on Youtube!! :)

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
I agree in the roof rack, ours is on hold for a bit to let the bank account recover. I wanted to make sure that at least a couple of the lights I get could be used in traffic and not blind people. The others I want for more remote driving and want it to be like daylight.

And yup, love the air horn. That is also on my wishlist, the factory original horn does not seem to grab enough attention.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Well replacing the headlights turned out to be a typical simple project. A few days ago I pulled out the one that was burned out, got the numbers off it and ordered a pair for replacement. The pair came in, I replaced the burned out one and then removed the other side (higher output). Well wouldn't you know the passenger side is a P45T bulb and the driver's side is a P43T bulb. Guess at some point one of the assemblies was replaced with a "same same but different" one. So, I decided to take the easy route and ordered up some P43T bulbs.

dedolomalo

Thanks guys, I ended up ordering some P45T H4 Halogen bulbs https://www.ebay.com/itm/161794671964. The bulbs that are in the truck are the R2 globe type with the P45T base. They were 55w/50 and I ones I ordered are 100/90. Hopefully way brighter. Was not able to find any LED's in the USA (just searching online) and would like to have some before we head back south in a few days.

And yes, one of ours was not even candle bright :rolleyes:. Pulled it out and there appears to be 2 bulbs in there a very small one (guessing it is the daytime running light?) and this P45T bulb. The main bulb was blackened. I agree about driving at night but we have the last few days driven right after dark trying to make miles (just drove from Florida to Vermont). Decided we really needed to light things up better including side marker lights (on my long list of TODO's) and reflective tape. If these headlights do not light things up enough I will be looking for some driving lights.
I'm looking at doing something similar. My German friends tell me that these (or similar) will fit right into the LN2 without much fuss. https://www.amazon.com/NSLUMO-Headlights-Headlamp-Wrangler-Cherokee/dp/B07W9KTBBK Bill

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Hey Bill, the new halogen replacements are far better than what came on the truck but I would be very interested if you try those LED ones out on how they work out. I do see in the specs that accept 24v (except for the daytime running lights) so that is a plus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles