Headlight connectors Disco 1

1997 Disco 1 300tdi So the original headlight/turn signal switch stopped working, only when I would switch to high beams. Wasn't a big issue since the low beams still worked. Anyway I bought a replacement and it went out after about 50 uses where it only works if I hold the high beams on, which happen to be connected to two small LED fronts. I replaced the new with the old again while Atlantic British sent me a new one. The cables look like they're burnt out, but there isn't any damage to the actual switches. Could this be my issue or is it just the shoddy plastic pieces? On my mobile so sorry if it's rough. CA43DF55-7691-4AA5-BEAE-E59F67162131.jpg946B1952-3E14-4BEF-8FD0-77E9034A5630.jpg

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Mark step one is ordering a brand new Switch. It looks like you have done that. I am willing to bet that will fix the problem. There may be some contact between the leads in the old plug too, if so you may need to find a new plug. You can pop out the wires with a tool and then slid them into the new plug. Are you poping any fuses?

Mark step one is ordering a brand new Switch. It looks like you have done that. I am willing to bet that will fix the problem. There may be some contact between the leads in the old plug too, if so you may need to find a new plug. You can pop out the wires with a tool and then slid them into the new plug. Are you poping any fuses?

Haven't blown any fuses, but I'm going to pull apart the Lucas v1 I had that busted to see if it was the classic plastic I've heard so much about. The Lucas v2 just arrived today. I have the old one installed and working ok for now. I'll check the fuses again, but probably just get a new plug while I'm at it. Hello Land Rover Christmas!

Icannap1

It seems that current draw from your lights are pulling more than the wiring and connector were designed for. You are better off wiring an external relay powered by the light switch that will switch a separate fuse power from the battery to feed your lights. What other lights do you have connected to that circuit?

It seems that current draw from your lights are pulling more than the wiring and connector were designed for. You are better off wiring an external relay powered by the light switch that will switch a separate fuse power from the battery to feed your lights. What other lights do you have connected to that circuit?

The Hella are connected to the brights, but on a separate switch, but there are two smaller LED on the front connected to the brights as well. Honestly not certain how it's all connected in there. I'll look into how to get an external relay in there if there isn't already. Thanks!

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
This is my old Truck and I have been thinking about this. When I bought this truck from Geared Restoration the 4 Roof Hella Light were wired into the Brights. I re-wired the smaller Rigid industry duallys into the brights and took the Hellas through a relay right to the Battery and a factory switch. The duallys are wired in a way that I have done on 20 different trucks over the year from IPF instructions with no problems. I wonder if when the hellas were running off the Headlight is Started this problem for Mark. I had to replace two stock when I had the truck and just tossed it up to old pick and pull stocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles