Headlamps anyone?

SteveG

Adventurer
I love headlamps. Absolutely fantastic for all manner of expedition uses. But before I'm actually seen in public in one, I'm waiting for someone to design a headlamp so that the wearer doesn't look like an uber-outdoor-nerd. :xxrotflma

Meantime, I let my dear Jonathan be "Flashlight Man" so I don't have to! You know, it messes up my hair so much!

Just embrace your inner nerd! I got over looking like a kook and just roll with it now. I still can't convince my wife to wear one, though.

I have and use the hell out of a Zebralight headlamp. I just came in from working on the truck for a few hours in the garage and had the light on the entire time... love it.

zebralight.com

SteveG

Adventurer
My whole family rocks the Petzl headlamps, except that I find depth perception to be an issue with any LED only light. THe blueish light is just too flat to provide enough contrast in foot stumbling conditions.

Look for headlamps with "warm" LED's. They're much closer to the incandescent light we're all used to.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Just embrace your inner nerd! I got over looking like a kook and just roll with it now. I still can't convince my wife to wear one, though.

I have and use the hell out of a Zebralight headlamp. I just came in from working on the truck for a few hours in the garage and had the light on the entire time... love it.

zebralight.com

Funny thing is that I wear one more for working on my Jeep and other projects after dark at home than I do out playing.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I use several headlamps and other lights. Pilots love lights for some reason. In my flight bag I have a Petzl Tactikka Plus and also a Tactikka XP. For camping I have two more of the XPs, two Joby gorilla torches and just recently picked up the gorilla torch flare. All of these lights work great for my uses, even in a couple mines here in the southwest.

I'm interested in knowing more about those lazerbrite lights. Hard to tell about what they do viewing the site on my phone.

JamesDowning

Explorer
They look cool as a flashlight, but I don't like that they use special batteries.

I can't see how they could be used as a headlamp though.

theksmith

Explorer
i wouldn't be without my petzl zipka plus 2 around camp. its compact, bright, and it will wrap to your head, arm, backpack strap, tree branch, roof rack, whatever. now i wouldn't use it as a primary caving light or anything, but for camp it's perfect.

trying to do anything at camp while holding a flashlight is just silly when there are good cheap headlamps available. i've used the zipka line since it first came out, and i keep upgrading when they release a newer brighter one - never worn one out, i just give them to a friend when an upgrade is available. and i don't think any of my hand-me-downs have worn out yet either in several years of use.

K2ZJ

Explorer
I have an energizer, the one I bought has a switch and not a button. I like it more because I can go straight to the red with out messing up my night vision. When you have to click through the others you get a blast of light that defeats the purpose of the red.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
The Tactikka XP has a slideable red filter/diffuser for night vision therefore no button to mess with either. Most of Petzl's products have easy flippable filters.

41JJeVxx%2BbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Spikepretorius

Explorer
I initially bought one of these several years ago as a stop-gap till I got spare funds to buy a better one. Then later I got around to hunting hi and low for the best head lamp I could find. Best meaning a good beam of light combined with reasonable battery life. After testing everything I could lay my hands on, and also asking for advice on this forum, I ended up just buying another Energiser as back up.

On SAR call outs I sometimes get guys asking me about what headlamp do I have cos it works so well blah blah and they're really unimpressed when they find out my lamp cost a fraction of the price of their big name brand lamp. :sombrero:
Here in South Africa they cost less than half the price of the entry level lamps of the big name brands.

It gives very good light and the batteries last me for several SAR nights on the mountain before needing replacement.
The only irritation is having to click through to the red each time. It would be nice to have the red first in the sequence.

Glad you brought this back, good review!

My headlamp doesn't have a fancy name, but the 6 LED Energizer headlamp I use really impressed me.

It has 4 light modes: red light, flood, spot, flood + spot. 50 hour runtime on the floods or spots only.

I use it all the time working on the truck and at camp. Very comfortable, I forget it's there. Only downside is that it isn't waterproof, but appears to be lightly resistant. Apparently there is a 7 LED model that is waterproof.

HDL33A2E.jpg

SteveG

Adventurer
Anyone using the surefire headlamp?

I've been wanting one since they came out but it's hard to justify the expense when I can buy several Zebralights (which are great) for the cost on one Saint.

That said, I own several Surefires and use and love the heck out of them.

I'm sure I'll cave and get one eventually.

Last edited:

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Glad you brought this back, good review!

My headlamp doesn't have a fancy name, but the 6 LED Energizer headlamp I use really impressed me.

It has 4 light modes: red light, flood, spot, flood + spot. 50 hour runtime on the floods or spots only.

I use it all the time working on the truck and at camp. Very comfortable, I forget it's there. Only downside is that it isn't waterproof, but appears to be lightly resistant. Apparently there is a 7 LED model that is waterproof.

HDL33A2E.jpg

Recently I left on a trip without my LED headlamp and remembered seeing the energizer model at Home Depot so stopped at the first one I passed and found the 7 led, 4 mode version for $14. While it may have deficiencies compared to the camping store versions, for the price difference I can live with them.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94