Having problems sheeting!

b63215b

Adventurer
Hey guys so have a build going on called First Build (I know unoriginal title) but I am to the point where I am sheeting and sheeting stuff. I need help? What is the best way to affix the sheet metal to the frame/trailer/etc? I have been welding and grinding the weld down and was going to fill in with body filler on the edges, is that a good idea?

eqyjava6.jpg

zyra2u5a.jpg

yrupates.jpg

Give me some other ideas or possible help me with the current idea. Thanks guys, forum to the rescue.

swcruiser

Observer
Is that galvanized? It's hard to see on my phone. It looks to me like your weld settings are not correct and your laying down to much material. Is the frame clean metal or is it painted?

swcruiser

Observer
Also try welding closer to the side of the sheet and more on the frame. It looks like the bead is piling on top of the sheet instead of setting down into the frame. You shouldn't need to grind everyone of them if the welds are clean.

swcruiser

Observer
Once it's tacked use seam sealer. Polyurethane flashing sealant like pl premium or similar works also.

Last edited:

b63215b

Adventurer
Yes my setting were messed up I had the feed speed to fast so it was bouncing. Changed it and it was much better. Thanks for the tip i will weld from the side and more on the frame.

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
Looks much better. I'm forced to use a really worn out MIG from Craftsman, and my welds looke like garbage. I welded in highschool every day for two years, and since then (1998) i have been keeping up the craft. Hope to get a better machine soon, and I will fix all the ugly welds on my truck. I noticed in the above picture that there is not a gas shield on the tip of the gun. Are you using flux core wire? Welding with gas will make it look much better, and give you the "row of nickles" look. It can be done with the flux core, but it will take a lot of practice.

b63215b

Adventurer
Your right ADVW I would live to have gas but just not at the moment. My plan is the get bondo and make all the edges looks clean after it's sealed. If I had had a break I would have bent the edges over.

quickfarms

Adventurer
The picture of your gun looks like a magnum 100L

What machine are you using?

What wire are you using? Brand and diameter. I have found that lincoln NR211 or NR212 welds a lot cleaner than the radnor brand.

Your welds are drifting. Are you using a good high quality auto darkening hemet? I have two professional ones that I use. The new one had better clarity but the old one is better for working outside due to some modifications.

Get a can or two of anti splatter.

Practice, practice and more practice.

b63215b

Adventurer
I will try out that anti splatter stuff. Here is the welder i use and the wire. It is what I can find in the area without ordering online.

a8ane6y4.jpg

va6ymy6y.jpg

Define what you mean by drifting I am self taught for the most part? And I do have an auto darkening helmet, however I feel when natural sunlight is involved it is harder to use.

b63215b

Adventurer
I generally keep the volts on B and wire speed on 2. If I am welding 14g or thicker I move it up to C.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles