Having Difficulty Pricing my F-150 to Sell

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Just looking for a little input on selling my 2011 F-150. I want to be fair but don't want to leave a bunch of money on the table. I've seen similar trucks listed in various places for over $20K, and I don't know if things are selling that high or if it's wishful thinking. I'm in northwest New Mexico, 4-Corners area. Maybe some of you guys have been in the market and could offer some advice on what's realistic?

2011 F-150 Crew Cab 4X4 with 6.5' Bed. 3.5 Ecoboost with 3.73 gears and electronic rear locker. 114,500 miles. Lariat package with everything except the sunroof (Full leather, heated/cooled seats, Sony system, etc). I'm the second owner. Recent Rancho quik-lift struts, Bilstein rear shocks. 275/70R18 E-Rated tires with about 10K miles. Truck is clean, runs great, and drives smooth.

I appreciate any real-world feedback you guys can offer.

Last edited:

Grassland

Sold my 2014 F150 Supercab 6.5 box 4x4 129,000KM with 34s, billies, cap with roof rack, and other stuff for $17900 Canadian pesos. 3.7 V6 tho. XLT.
I'm very far from where you are tho, but high spec XLT/FX4 and Lariats with low km are in mid 20s. Sometimes higher.
I'd say around the 20 mark for yours doesn't seem unreasonable if it's clean and maintained.

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Good stuff, guys, please keep it coming.

This is just some of what I'm seeing regionally. Obviously not apples to apples, but similar trucks. Like I said, just want to get a fair price for it and hopefully find a buyer who considers it a fair deal.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
What do you want, market value for the basic truck and then every dime you spent on adding extra crap that only a few may even be interested in? Who cares about your lifts and struts, just plain tires will add a bit, but you seem to think adding off road blazing equipment adds to your sale price. Trucks have trailer hitches, I don't pay a dime more for a used truck with a trailer hitch. They all have struts, they all have shocks, they all have axels, most buyers don't care how super they might be, they just want it working like a truck

Really, I've been hunting F-150's for 2 months in the Midwest. At best, yours falls in a range of 17 to 20K, it's pretty simple to check the competition, the hard part is accepting reality.

Now, if you're looking for a particular gear head enthusiast about off roading, you just limited your market of potential buyers. You can wait longer for the right buyer to step up, might be a really long wait.

Consider this, there are more farmers who buy trucks than wannabe overlanding rock crawling types. Whose the market when you need to sell?

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
What do you want, market value for the basic truck and then every dime you spent on adding extra crap that only a few may even be interested in? Who cares about your lifts and struts, just plain tires will add a bit, but you seem to think adding off road blazing equipment adds to your sale price. Trucks have trailer hitches, I don't pay a dime more for a used truck with a trailer hitch.

Really, I've been hunting F-150's for 2 months in the Midwest. At best, yours falls in a range of 17 to 20K, it's pretty simple to check the competition, the hard part is accepting reality.

Nope, just market value for the truck. I didn't list everything that it has or that I've done to it, just adding some detail to what it is. Not sure how you took that to assume what I'm thinking. I know potential buyers won't necessarily value stuff that's been done to it. But dang, if you buy a used 1/2 ton truck with ~100K, you can assume it's going to need struts...seems reasonable to point out that won't be an expense in this instance.

Thanks for the price range, that's helpful.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Nope, just market value for the truck. I didn't list everything that it has or that I've done to it, just adding some detail to what it is. Not sure how you took that to assume what I'm thinking. I know potential buyers won't necessarily value stuff that's been done to it. But dang, if you buy a used 1/2 ton truck with ~100K, you can assume it's going to need struts...seems reasonable to point out that won't be an expense in this instance.

Thanks for the price range, that's helpful.
Well, that was nicely put, thank you.

I bought a couple old trucks, I knew they were older but I never considered the cost of struts.

I'm more concerned about the timing chain at 100K. (0r for those turbo 6 bangers, heads, valves, turbos, oil coolers and sumps.)

Just say'n while I don't have a clue as to what you think, I certainly understand the general bias toward "Overlanding" and the mindset at the "mean". Please consider present company.

Okay, sounds like you can take care of this, or, you can post in the classifieds, :cool:

billiebob

If you are buying a local truck there are few questions but if you were shopping long distance for the dream truck there are other considerations like is this a real guy selling a truck.... or a curber fencing a stolen truck.

My last Jeep I drove 600kms to pick up. A Craigfslist/Kijiji sale.

I looked at the Jeep photos, called the seller, we made deal, he gave me his address, I went to google earth and yes the home in the background of the ad matched google earth pictures. 3 days later I had my new Jeep. He was asking $15K we settled on $12K on day 1.

What is your truck worth is a local thing. I paid $12K Canadian .... the same Jeep in the USA sells for $15K USA dollars. You found 5 comparables...... advertise it accordingly..... sell to the guy with cash who actually wants it. Leave room to deal. Cash on the table makes all the difference.

Lots of guys will say I thought we had a deal but ultimately the first guy with cash to match his offer gets the truck. My seller agreed to wait til I got there in 3 days and I was there as promised at 8am.... done deal. He knew I had to get the temporary in transit insurance which added a day. See past the tire kickers and deal with the guy actually wanting to buy your truck.

On whats it worth.,... again a local question but dealerships are a great source. Guaranteed they are asking 20% more than they need. so if they want $21K.... realistically they will sell for $19K.... maybe much less but the dealerships pretty much control the high end of the selling price.

The guy who actually WANTS to buy yer truck will also be very knowledgable about yer truck.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
How quickly do you have to sell it? Obviously it will sell quicker if it's priced lower (most of the time.)

If you aren't in a hurry, start off higher and see if you get any bites. It's always easier to lower a price than it is to raise a price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online