Having a BAD day...

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Last night i stopped at my buds, while having a few cold ones i replaced my serpentine belt with a new GoodYear Gatorback. (Thanks Cowboy)

This am i went out to replace the valvecover gasket, finished it and found that a clamp i cut off heater hose (which i thought fell to the ground) was actually wedged between the new belt and crank pulley. Destroyed the new belt when started. :yikes:

OK, dumb move :smilies27 ...so i start tearing the belt off.

Removing the overflow tube from the radiator i broke off the plastic tip under the cap :mad:

Is there a cement i can use that will hold up? I need to have this Jeep running this coming week, i'll order a new radiator monday.

91XLT will be stopping over in a few hours, were going to have some Buffalo Burgers and a few :beer: :friday:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I am sorry to hear of your bad luck. Some good epoxy might work well, they sell a certain kind at the auto stores that will hold up for a temporary repair.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Yeah, figured i could get something at AutoZone etc. Thought someone might know of some type of plastic weld type product...

Just hate $200 in damage for a $10 gasket...

Thanks Will

CLynn85

Explorer
Hey man, I know how you feel. I have a serious love/hate relationship with my jeep. It seems like everytime things start going well something else happens. Chin up, the time you spend with it out having fun always somehow makes you come back around.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
John B said:
Yeah, figured i could get something at AutoZone etc. Thought someone might know of some type of plastic weld type product...

Just hate $200 in damage for a $10 gasket...

Thanks Will

Yeah, it's called plastic weld, or plastic bonder, and is made by Devcon. Use outside in well ventilated conditions, read the directions twice and follow them exactly. That stuff is serious and seriously toxic. If you goof, you don't get a second chance. Look for it at a good hardware store, not an autoparts store.

Also PM Upcruiser and ask him what he is using to cant and level DIN interfaces, and whether is it commonly available. I think it has similar properties to the Devcon stuff, but comes in fancy colors like red and blue.

Last edited:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Meant to update. I ended up using JB Weld, seems to be holding but i only ran it in driveway. Wanted to give it a few days to cure fully.

Thanks Guys...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke