Havelock Wool Insulation

carnut1969

I purchased a bag of wool insulation and put the bag in the van- I used some of the wool to insulate the rear doors. Unfortunately my whole van smelled like a petting zoo. Really bad. Took the bag out and started airing out the van and its better. I cant imagine doing the whole thing with wool and having to live with the smell. Thankfully I only wasted about $100 on the one bag.

Havelock is always posting on FB about how wonderful it is and when I comment about the smell they just delete my comment.

I would caution anyone looking to insulate your project with wool... it will NOT smell like a wool sweater. It WILL smell like a sheep. I've got 90% of the bag left and would be happy to give anyone the bag- I'm not using it.

ExpoMike

Interesting.... I had been looking at that stuff for my camper build as well. @carnut1969 I would be interested in the leftover, so I can test it out.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I’ve seen those adds. I would think that stuff would pack down and lose its effectiveness over time like regular fiberglass insulation does.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I purchased a bag of wool insulation and put the bag in the van- I used some of the wool to insulate the rear doors. Unfortunately my whole van smelled like a petting zoo. Really bad. Took the bag out and started airing out the van and its better. I cant imagine doing the whole thing with wool and having to live with the smell. Thankfully I only wasted about $100 on the one bag.

Havelock is always posting on FB about how wonderful it is and when I comment about the smell they just delete my comment.

I would caution anyone looking to insulate your project with wool... it will NOT smell like a wool sweater. It WILL smell like a sheep. I've got 90% of the bag left and would be happy to give anyone the bag- I'm not using it.

Very interesting. We deal with a significant amount of US made wool products and have found that some imported or low end wools are "shoddy" wool that can have "daisy" the sheep smell. Not much can be done to get rid that odor. Also, nature wool tends to be heavy and have natural oils can cause the wool to compact over time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94