Have you weight your vehicle in ready for trip condition?

slooowr6

Explorer
Hi All,
There have been couple threads on payload. I wonder how many of you have actually weighted you truck in ready-to-go, loaded with all the gear you need, condition? I have not weighted mine in loaded mode but here is what I got.

06 Tacoma double cab longbed:
Full tank with 2 people(250lbs) : 4480lbs.

1/4 tank with 1 person (150)lbs, ATC camper (empty): 5400lbs.

It's only 50lbs shy of GVWR :bigbossHL:. Without AirLift in the back the truck will be almost sitting on the bump stop. With 70/60psi in the bag it's fine now.
I want to see where everybody is at in regard of GVWR. Kind of feeling like I'm the only fat kid in school. :peepwall:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I did not approach it very scientifically after my frist suspension upgrade but soon discovered that the new rear springs were not up to the task. They sagged so much I was surprised. I guess that I had been spoiled by the payload capacity of my old full-sized Ford Bronco.

I have ordered new rear springs and am starting to work on calculating payload, including a full gas tank and passengers. I was always a weight-weenie when preparing for backpacking so I need to apply that approach to my 4Runners payload too.

etbadger

Adventurer
Well, placard on the door says the front axle can handle 5000#, rear axle 6000#

We weighed in (full water/fuel/toys) at just a touch under 11,000# a few months back. Distribution was even side to side (within scale error), and front was about 1000# lighter than the rear.

I really don't like being so close to the limits, and have been looking for ways to lighten the load. There are quite a few hundred pounds in excess weight for the cabinetry (made with MDF), and probably a few hundred in gear we never use, and just haven't off-loaded yet.

When we are settled down again we will probably be a fair bit lighter since we won't be carrying everything around that we might possibly want for day-to-day living.

-e

slooowr6

Explorer
on Tacoma the GVWR is lower the the GAWR combine. If add up the GAWR I remember it's going to be around 5800lbs.

Erik, I like the graphics on you sportsmobile!! They are really cool.

slooowr6

Explorer
teotwaki said:
I did not approach it very scientifically after my frist suspension upgrade but soon discovered that the new rear springs were not up to the task. They sagged so much I was surprised. I guess that I had been spoiled by the payload capacity of my old full-sized Ford Bronco.

I have ordered new rear springs and am starting to work on calculating payload, including a full gas tank and passengers. I was always a weight-weenie when preparing for backpacking so I need to apply that approach to my 4Runners payload too.

Do you ride bicycle too? I'm a super weigh weenie for a long time. It's best if you can find a scale somewhere. I use the one at a landfill.

gjackson

FRGS
Fully loaded Defender 110, 2 people for a week (so lots of beer) we weighed 6900lbs. This was at one of those highway patrol truck checks. We just stopped and asked! The GVW for the truck with current suspension is 7716lbs. Did not get a front/rear distribution.

cheers

slooowr6

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
6,200 with driver and passenger :)
:ylsmoke: looks like I'm pretty safe. :beer: 700lbs to go. I really want to get slider but it's on hold until I can see the ready-to-travel weight. A pair bentup slider is about 130lbs..........

slooowr6

Explorer
gjackson said:
Fully loaded Defender 110, 2 people for a week (so lots of beer) we weighed 6900lbs. This was at one of those highway patrol truck checks. We just stopped and asked! The GVW for the truck with current suspension is 7716lbs. Did not get a front/rear distribution.

cheers

Wow, 7716lbs!!! Impressive.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Have not weighed this truck. Last truck was portly. 6640lb is trail trim with the hard top 3/4 tank and me. Didn't have my full camping gear in it either. One of the reason I decided to get rid of it.

The 4Runner when its just me I am shooting for 4200-4300.
Might swing by Vulcan accross the street and run across their scale today on the way home and get a before the winch, bumpers and sliders weight.

Bella PSD

Explorer
Right at 9,000 LBS fully loaded for vacation. 5 people;2 adults, 3 kids and 2 dogs. We were going on vacation at the beach for a week. So we were loaded with all our stuff for a week plus food for a week. Averaged 17.8+- MPG at 75 MPH.

Louie

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
My 80 series weighs as much as my Army truck did now.

Here's stock specs:

Curb Weight 4,760 lbs.
Gross Vehicle Weight 6,525 lbs.

Here's the rig, unloaded. Only 2 jerry cans have fuel in them.
1/4 tank of gas and no camping gear.

dsc01514yz2.jpg

Scary, i've added nearly 2,000 lbs to it in 8 months lol

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
sloowr6 said:"Kind of feeling like I'm the only fat kid in school. "

Fully loaded for an extended trip in Australia, with 2 adults, 1 child, 55 gals of fuel, 30 gal of water. etc etc...
11,000lb (GVW=9,900) - it was 11,500 but I removed some recovery gear and a rear mounted cargo carrier to reduce weight. Even at 11,500 the overload springs were not engaged and there was no sag, kind of makes you wonder how overloaded those 1 ton trucks that need airbags are doesn't it??

Cheers
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke