Hauling my Harley

innanetmatt

Hey Expedition Portal,

I'm trying to figure out how I can build an overlanding rig that can house 2 humans and a dog, while hauling a (relatively) small Harley Davidson. My original plan was an extended van with the bike inside, but from the measurements I've gathered it doesn't seem like it would be very comfortable to live in a van that's also my garage. The next obvious choice is a trailer, but that makes the whole idea less practical. The last option I've been able to think up, is a hitch mounted carrier. My current bike weighs around 570 lbs. I'll realistically never want to carry a bike heavier than this using this method, although I'll definitely carry smaller or similar sized bikes.

Is there a better option? If not, does anyone have any advice or wisdom for carrying a 600 lbs motorcycle? Or anything else that weighs roughly that, and mounted the same way? In other words... Is this a terrible idea or doable?

Thanks!

huskyhauler

Adventurer
A hitch mounted carrier might work but you're pushing it pretty close at 570lbs. Is that dry weight or loaded? You should also think of loading and unloading. The heavier the bike the harder to load on narrow skids. This is a cheap carrier rated at 600lbs. http://www.titanramps.com/titan-spo...iYJFmMGQeQAsUV8vOEalduo5jRpKPHoH9cBoC02Pw_wcB

If you want to put it inside a van, go with a full size van and build it out so that your bed folds up against the wall and the bike can be transported with the bed in the stowed position. Use this setup for inspiration:

maxresdefault.jpg

And video of the bed in "action:" https://youtu.be/k606pSqUPBI

As for the rest of the van, there are many, many different configurations to build out the amenities you need. Google image search for "van conversion sink" or "van conversion stove" or "van conversion fridge" for ideas and inspiration of layout, and then research what it takes to build each of those units out.

Last edited:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I had my 02 Blackbird in my van for a while... got old incredibly fast, so I sold it.
I hear the motorcycle racks on the rear are pretty good but spendy for the quality.

D

Deleted member 9101

The bike is going to smell up the inside of the van pretty badly.

Just get a hitch carrier that mounts to each side of the hitch, rather than solely the receiver.

Or, get a smaller, lighter bike.

danfromsyr

Adventurer
I have plans to DIY build one from a RV tongue jack to do the lifting then pin it for transport.
one thing to be cognizant of is the harley should be ale to be loaded by the little lady in case of an XYZ event and you are unable to load it yerself.
I've a friend with a rear carrier that's a slight pita for him, and essentially impossible for the Mrs. to load it down.. and if something happens to him..

innanetmatt

Thanks for the input everyone. Dan: I hadn't thought about that, but in the event that ever happens... My last worry is gonna be her loading my motorcycle up. She's definitely capable of driving the van if I ever get hurt though. As for the comments about a different bike: That's on the agenda, eventually. Probably a "supermoto" style, around 400cc. But- For the next year or so, I'll be hauling the Sportster.

danfromsyr

Adventurer
sometimes all it takes is a dislocated shoulder or kneecap out of position to where you can't 'function' with any real weight.
but wouldn't want to leave the HD someplace while you returned home..

for me I've had 2 annoyances in the last 6months.. a rotator cuff and a knee (I-don't-know-what) that I was fine the 1st half the day then not later on..
sucks when there's no reason other than passing the 40yr mark.
able bodied is a thing we able bodied folk take for granted till the moment we're looking for the grab bars in a restroom just to sit&shytt.

sorry, I know it'll never happen to you. but real life makes me become a realist at times.

there are hydraulic units that grab the bottom of the engine, can probably be modified to catch the wheels for the lifting.
like a modified moto mule
https://www.google.com/search?q=hyd...vDSgQyjcITg&ei=hn0fV7qbMcbs-QGq37XAAg#imgrc=_

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior