Hauling A Motorcycle With A Truck Camper

AmericaMarsh

This probably isn't what you mean...

2wfv1gz.jpg
I think this is exactly what people mean. What camper shell is this?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Most of the campers in this thread don't appear to be going anywhere that a decent utility trailer can't go just as easy.

Keep in mind, how much load that trailer will take off of your truck and camper. Your gen, bike, awning, cooler, redundant spare, gas cans, solar, can all go on the trailer now.

C p weinberger

Not to hyjack thread but..Several people here have mentioned mounting motorcycle on front bumper, I know you could never Drive through East Africa with something mounted on the front that big without being stopped by every cop on the road, Anyone aware of how USA states in general and Central/ southern American countries feel about a front mounted motorcycle?

::Squish::

Observer
Most of the campers in this thread don't appear to be going anywhere that a decent utility trailer can't go just as easy.

Keep in mind, how much load that trailer will take off of your truck and camper. Your gen, bike, awning, cooler, redundant spare, gas cans, solar, can all go on the trailer now.

And then you end up stuck at 55mph if you live in Ca, or you have to find a place to store the trailer when it's not on the truck. There are some legit reasons to not wanting to have a trailer.

Stumper92

I haven't revisited this thread for a good while. Since I first started this discussion I have upgraded to a Ram 3500 dually for hauling my camper. When carrying the KLR I have always used a small trailer. However, now that weight is a little less an issue, I am tempted to try a hitch rack.

Gorilla2891

Helping revive this thread! My Lady bought a 02f250 v10 fully setup I mean fully! 65k mile, fully tow haul truck! We are getting a camper. She bought truck and will buy camper. She grew up with one. I'm a moto guy and she is too, now. We plan on hauling bikes,( adv ready 14 xr650l and 17 versys300x . Towing on my 4x8 utility trailer. Would love to have on hitch styles that can offer access to camper. Soooo many ideas nothing right. Close to 800lb weight on bikes

Gorilla2891

The camper is called "Dog House" cause we are buying for her.... cant bring dog on our moto trips.... and we are sooo against sleepin in more comfort and amenities that moto tent camping has... ?

Last edited:

sp6x6

I’ll try get Picts later fits my Jeep I tow or p/u camper tow Jeep and bike on wheeless

Attachments

• 9F9A8F6D-D172-4FB1-AAD6-DEB517E3450D.jpeg
    9F9A8F6D-D172-4FB1-AAD6-DEB517E3450D.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 44

Ducstrom

I'd be worried about the rack or the bike blocking the taillights. The one above with the BMW looks like the lights would be hard to see.

Might remedy this by mounting lights on the bike rack and having a plug to the vehicles trailer light plugin.

another_mike

Adventurer
I'd be worried about the rack or the bike blocking the taillights. The one above with the BMW looks like the lights would be hard to see.

Might remedy this by mounting lights on the bike rack and having a plug to the vehicles trailer light plugin.
I bought a LED trailer light kit off amazon and put it on my hitch rack..... tag relocation too to comply with all applicable laws

IMG_7082.jpg

1stDeuce

Explorer
Just realized I never updated this thread after I built my front and rear carriers. These were designed for a Baja trip where we didn't want to be dragging a trailer. Worked great, aside from having to lean the rear mounted bike out to get into the camper. Only an issue at checkpoints, or when wanting a sandwich en route. I just pulled the bike off the rack whenever we stopped to set up camp. My 3 rail trailer would have got the crap beat out of it in Baja... No thanks!! I never weighed it, but the truck was probably a bit over its 9200lb gvw for this trip. It didn't complain at all, and even in the washboard, rocks, and whoops between Gonzaga and Cocoa's, it did fine. Never had any problems dragging, but we were exploring with the bikes, not the truck and camper...

Rear bumper with twin receivers for the carrier, mounts made from the original trailer hitch:

IMG_5780.JPGIMG_5775.JPG

Front ARB with bike mounts bolted on. These are removable so I don't have to run them when I'm not planning to carry a bike. I wanted to use the jacking holes in the ARB, but that was too much trouble. This got the rack nice and low too. :)
IMG_20160317_113723_967.jpg

Rear bike rack also has rack bars that I used to carry three fuel cans, a grill, our chairs, and the "poo bucket". Removed the tailgate from the truck for this trip.

IMG_5838.jpgSAM_1842.JPG

Front rack just carries the bike.

SAM_1846.JPG

Visibility over the front bike is fine. We followed a very strict NO NIGHT DRIVING policy, so headlight blockage not really a concern. With turn signals on the truck and front bumper, it was no problem to see them from any direction. (Turn signals in Baja??)
IMG_5840.jpg

We've used this setup for several more trips after Baja. We carried my wife's bike on the rear rack a few years ago for a trip through the Tetons, Yellowston, and Glacier. Nice to have the extra storage under the camper, and a runabout bike once we get camp set up without having to drag a dang trailer. The rear rack also works as a nice step to get into the camper, so we can leave the folding step at home. Yes, I've dragged the rear rack a few times, but not as much as you'd think. We've never touched the front rack to anything that I can recall.

Hope this inspires some of you to get your setups together, it's certainly worked great for us!! :)

BTW, Baja is a terrible place to visit. I don't recommend this trip to anyone!! ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles