Hauling A Motorcycle With A Truck Camper

jronwood

Adventurer
I use multiple Reese style tubes for all sorts of things, here is one of my trucks, there are a total of four tube mounts, one above each frame rail, and then the two "stacked" in the center. I build them pretty bullet proof. The truck is an F550 and I will use them combined to mount a 2500# backhoe (truck has hydrualics wet lines to the rear, off the PTO) for use on my property. You can also use them to mount ANYTHING else and increase stability whilest doing it. I mount a salt spreader from this as well ( it serves as my driveway plow truck). I am building a swing away bike carrier for my 87' XT600 using this same set up on the rear of an F350 and a "repurposed" double crank "crane" jib/winch from a "Gene jack" type older assembly. What I found on the trip to the UP Mich. last summer (third pic) is if it aint EASY to get the bike on/off, many opportunities will be LOST. I will use the same "tri" mount layout on the back of the trailer to have it all consistant/changable. On the 550 the top two are strong enough I may even have my dump bed pivot off them.

Jronwood

IMAG0505.jpgIMAG0512.jpgpics 067.jpg

Last edited:

Itsavanman

Adventurer
what about having a rack that holds a bike that swings away like a spare tire holder? or extends out? most dirt / dual sport bikes aren't that heavy.. I think I just had a brainstorm of how I am going to build the back rack on the ecooline :D

Darwin

Explorer
Swingaway%20Hitch%20Carrier.jpg

http://sprinterstore.com/tow_hitches.htm

805gregg

Adventurer
My camper a 9'6" Lance has an extended hitch tongue weight of 200lbs, a small trailer would be good or on the front

msiminoff

I fabricated a rear hitch rack to carry my bike because my (125lb) spare tire is mounted up front...

motorack1.jpg

motorack2.jpg

-Mark

Darwin

Explorer
I fabricated a rear hitch rack to carry my bike because my (125lb) spare tire is mounted up front...
Mark, how do you access the camper once the bike is loaded? do you unload the bike? If you unload it, how long does that take?

Thanks,
Darwin

msiminoff

Mark, how do you access the camper once the bike is loaded? do you unload the bike? If you unload it, how long does that take?
There's enough space between the camper and the bike to open the door about 45º, so there is plenty of room to hop in if I need to. I frequently load and unload my stuff (clothing, gear, food) without taking the bike off.
Once I get to camp unloading the bike is fast, probably less than 5 minutes; Lean the ramp against the carrier, loosen the (3) tie downs & the lock, and roll the bike down the ramp.
-Mark

Darwin

Explorer
There's enough space between the camper and the bike to open the door about 45º, so there is plenty of room to hop in if I need to. I frequently load and unload my stuff (clothing, gear, food) without taking the bike off.
Once I get to camp unloading the bike is fast, probably less than 5 minutes; Lean the ramp against the carrier, loosen the (3) tie downs & the lock, and roll the bike down the ramp.
-Mark
Thanks for the responds. 5 min. is not that bad. I am thinking more about doing something custom were the bike platform is mounted to two or three receivers off the frame of the truck, this would eliminate a lot of sway and wobble that a lot of the single receiver mounts suffer from.

Fleg

I used to haul my XR650R on a bike rack behind my Lance slide in. Very difficult to get into the camper with the bike on the rack. I ended up getting a small trailer from Harbor Freight and installing some motorcycle chalks on it.

Darwin

Explorer
I used to haul my XR650R on a bike rack behind my Lance slide in. Very difficult to get into the camper with the bike on the rack. I ended up getting a small trailer from Harbor Freight and installing some motorcycle chalks on it.
I thought about that too, but I don't want to pull a trailer in Mexico or Central America. The bike would be a little honda trail 90 on the back, so not super heavy. The swing away one I posted earlier from a sprinter shop in Oregon I believe still makes the motorcycle carrier. They utilize two receiver hitches to help with the wobble and weight.

funky

Thanks for the responds. 5 min. is not that bad. I am thinking more about doing something custom were the bike platform is mounted to two or three receivers off the frame of the truck, this would eliminate a lot of sway and wobble that a lot of the single receiver mounts suffer from.

The issue of how to build a truly offroad-capable m/c carrier (no wobbling, swaying and compromising of departure angle) is also being discussed here: http://forum.xpcamper.org/index.php/topic/74-motorcycle-lift-for-back-of-v1/?hl=motorcycle

Stumper92

I haven't revisited this thread for a while. Some great ideas out there. To this point I have been hauling my bike on a small trailer. The biggest disadvantage with this is not being able to back up very well and therefore having to unload the bike and disconnect the trailer before backing into a campsite. I am revisiting the idea of putting a rack on the front of the truck. Anyone done this and added snow plow lights to compensate for your headlights being blocked?

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I use a three receiver set up on both the front and rear of my trucks. That way I can move the rack to either place. You will have to have the rack custom built for it to be raised up high enough to not effect your departure angles. But then it works on the approach angle also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles