:sombrero: After 5-1/2 years of off-road use/towing/desert/sand-

MCEFenders-1-16-15013_zps2ce708c1.jpg

I had to replace the battery-

Didn't fail, just started sounding "TIRED"--that's it

Very reliable-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Expedition Essentials

Approved Vendor : Expedition Essentials
Bought mine new in 2010: 79,000.00 miles later still going strong. We have seen lots of offroad miles. Mechanically she has been sound. Small issues over the years, battery, starter brushes sticking, exhaust manifold leak.

Sent using a squirrel raised from birth by a flock of well trained carrier pigeons.

r3run33

Adventurer
lol your tread is similar to what I have been thinking but I want to go to jeep for the smaller size and being able to go to various trails that my 100 series can't (example rubicon). I still have my 100 series and currently searching or researching jeeps. My problem with my jeep way back was an ECU which would mess with the idle when at a stop light etc. running on highway was fine; finally got chrysler to lemon law which was not what I wanted. Still don't understand why they just could not replace the ECU. anyway if you own your 100 series outright how about a trailer to house the tent and stuff? I don't want to pull a trailer in mine; I want to go smaller. Keep the posts up; I actually think there are several of us that want to switch.

vs_jk

I have an issue with gas overfilling the tank.

There is a recall on this issue. If you take into a dealership, they will take care of this issue. Mine also did this but it was completely fixed after taking it back in for the recall.

BTW, I have 78,000 miles and have gone on many trips in the JK. It's never failed.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I took it in for the gas fill service. On the first trip, I couldn't fill it after they were done. So I took it back, it worked perfect for a couple of weeks. Then I went off road, it went right back to being messed up. Maybe I'll take in again when it's not so annoying.
Tom

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
FYI...Short of the width of a Hummer.....its the driver not the trail that defeats most vehicles. I have spent many years going in and out of the rubicon. Seen lots of landcruisers from the older jeep look a likes to the newest ones....and they all get through. I have been driving jeeps for thirty years and have had many. None have left me stranded unless it was my own doing. 2 CJ's, an XJ, Wj and now 2 JK's (I use the CJ for off harsh off road like the rubicon, JK's are daily drivers and mild off road, not because they can't...cause that is what the CJ is for). Make the switch...you wont be disappointed and there is a ton more aftermarket products to suit your needs than any other vehicle out there.

swift7777

°.lllllll.°
2011 - 52,000 miles and counting, daily driver - with 7 or 8 off roading trips a year, not a single issue. I have kept her as close to stock as possible with the exception of tires, suspension & trans cooler. Great vehicle, has never left me stranded.

IMG_3275.jpg

Last edited:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
My battery went bad without any warning at 65,000 miles. Was able to limp home after a jump start so I was technically not stranded :) Other than that, no issues but with 80,000 miles, my 2012 is also just barely broken in.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I've got a 2013 2 door that I have really enjoyed. I'd like to go the other direction though with size. I'm sure a JKU would give me the space I want but I'd really like to go to a taco or cruiser. I promised the wife when I got the JK though that I wouldn't flip it so I'm being content with what I have. I want the taco for the truck bed (traded an F350 for the JK) that I miss and the LC for the interior room and ability to sleep inside the vehicle.

I guess I just wonder how an RTT will fix your back issues over getting a good quality pad to sleep on. There isn't anything magical about the pad in an RTT and after checking out my buddies setup I think my current ground pad was more comfortable. If you want a different rig I'm not saying you shouldn't change things up, if the issue truly is sleeping on the ground I'm sure you could find a solution that is much, much cheaper. (Might I suggest checking out the EXPED MegaMat, its phenomenal.)

MTSN

Explorer
Well I found a new JKUR in another state, made a tentative deal via email, flew in over the weekend to sign papers, and the price was suspiciously higher by $1,100 when I got there. Apparently I was dealing with a "junior employee" who didn't add the "correct fees", so after about 10 minutes of back and forth I cut my losses and flew back home. Really disappointed as I was thinking this one was going to work out, but I feel that if it's meant to be it will happen the way it should instead of getting jacked around.

MTSN

Explorer
Well after looking around a bit in different states, I was able to find a great deal here locally. 2012 JKUR with remote start, heated seats, cloth, hard top, brand new tires, brakes and windshield and it's certified. Only had time for a quick pic as I finished the deal late tonight. Looking forward to adding some mods to it like the Ursa Minor J30, AEV 2.5" lift, and JW Speaker headlights. Couldn't bring myself to sell the 100 yet, so I'm going to keep it for the time being.

1.jpg

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
It looks just great. Congratulations; I'm sure you'll enjoy having it.

And having owned a couple of Hundys along with the JK, I can say that they're different enough that having both is a nice approach if you can manage it. Good strategy for the moment.

A

AngryRedBird

No we've never been stranded while driving "The Bird"..(Knock on Wood) Yet we have been stranded while driving "Muffin".. Went through 3 headers and 2 transmission..

Muffin.jpg
Image: The Late "Muffin"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior