Has anyone upgraded the valve body on their transmission? TC lock-up?

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I was poking around on the Victoria Pajero site and found this thread:
http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=21264

Is there a similar option stateside? I also like the idea of the lock-up kit as well.

This is the company that makes them in Australia:
http://automatictransmission.com.au

I wasn't able to find anything in a short google search, but figure there are more well versed folks here, so I'd check with the collective.

The threads are claiming increased fuel mileage, and with the 2nd generation of the kit, the PWM seems to negate the resistor issues.

Also, there is a great thread about the HBB and some crossover parts from the 80 series TLC:
http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=46516

czd3my

When I rebuilt my transmission I put one of the valve body kits from Transgo in it. Makes a difference in the shift, firm shifts but not hard and no flair. I think it was something like sk340 part number.

plh

Explorer
TC lockup in what manner? Lock-up sooner? My '93 locks up at about 42 mph.

edit: Oh I get it now - read the AU forum. Lockup via switch at basically any speed for more control offroad.

Last edited:

lordtrunks

camp loser
I upped the line pressure on my tranny their is a dial on the inside you can adjust it with made shifts a bit firmer i'm gonna put a washer in it for more 3 and 4th gear arn't tight enough to my liking.

czd3my
I'm glad to see you like that kit i've looked at them and wondered if it would be too much but sounds to me that its what i'm looking for i'll keep it in mind when it comes time for a rebuild.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
TC lockup in what manner? Lock-up sooner? My '93 locks up at about 42 mph.

edit: Oh I get it now - read the AU forum. Lockup via switch at basically any speed for more control offroad.

We used to do this on our AW-4 in the XJ(jeep). Basically allows you more tranny control(bite your tongues) and better "gearing" options. I make a drive from 1500 ASL to 7000 ASL all too often and something like this would be sweet.

Also, a few summers back, driving up to Alta Lakes and in to the higher reaches of the mining towns in CO, I would have liked a transmission temp gauge to check how I was doing. Ended up turing around before the summit out of concern for the vehicle and the wife + two ninos.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I upped the line pressure on my tranny their is a dial on the inside you can adjust it with made shifts a bit firmer i'm gonna put a washer in it for more 3 and 4th gear arn't tight enough to my liking.

czd3my
I'm glad to see you like that kit i've looked at them and wondered if it would be too much but sounds to me that its what i'm looking for i'll keep it in mind when it comes time for a rebuild.

Was this for an NM...Gen III? I did something similar on other vehicles to change the shifting, but it was all cable actuated and adjustable. Admittedly, I've not looked in to that option on the Monty.

JamesW

Adventurer
I made my own lockup from a switch, just found what wire I needed to tap into from under the steering wheel, where the transmission plug is, made a simple circuit with a relay, and a diode to stop the trans ECU from getting any false readings (didn't know if it would happen or not) I have it earthed through the brake lights, so when I brake the TC lock disengages. I'll try post a write up on it later. It still shifts smoothly, but it pulls way better, I've towed 6000kg with it, and the only thing to blow up was the engine

lordtrunks

camp loser
`I run the older transmission out of a 95 sr and have manual control over all gears and lockup. I don't have an ecu but my truck as a whole is pretty bare bones.:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz