Has anyone tried out the new Frontrunner Wolfpack Pro boxes?

SBSYNCRO

I use the originals in the back of my jeep, and they fit nearly perfectly alongside my fridge slide (the only boxes I could find that fit without wasting space). The problems with them (other than cost) is that (1) they are not sealed, so ants tend to get up in there if there is food) and (2) the latches SUCK. I mean they REALLY SUCK. I think the first latch broke on my very first outing, and at this point, out of six of these boxes I don't think I have a single one without at least one broken latch. Another thing I don't like about them is that you cannot flip open just one side to quickly access something when they are stowed - you have to un-stow the box, pull all four latches, then take the top completely off to access the contents.

The new boxes appear to be the exact same external dimensions, which means they will fit in my existing "slot" in the Jeep. I'm considering "upgrading" but would like to know what people think of them before I drop another $400 on plastic boxes... Wondering if they have addressed these issues (the latches certainly seem better, and they appear to be sealed).

yes, there are better boxes out there, but none (that I can find) with a width of 510 mm (which is my critical measurement) and a length that will efficiently use up the ~860mm of depth from the lip of my deck to the first L-Track. The Wolf packs stack two-deep and two high just perfectly in my Jeep:

IMG_6115.jpeg

1643127524707.png

pluton

Adventurer
You're right that the latches on the original are annoying, however, they don't break if you operate them correctly. Yes...when operated correctly, they are still annoying! They sell replacement latches, BTW.
As an owner of 4 of the original WPs, I would buy the new ones....and still may do. If they're not the same size (as claimed) and therefore don't fit your rig, you could ask them to pay for return shipping based on false product description. I do like that they now have a seal in the lid.
Note: After watching the short demo video on the frontrunner website, I'm not totally convinced the new latches are durable. Hard to tell from the video.

SBSYNCRO

You're right that the latches on the original are annoying, however, they don't break if you operate them correctly. Yes...when operated correctly, they are still annoying! They sell replacement latches, BTW.
As an owner of 4 of the original WPs, I would buy the new ones....and still may do. If they're not the same size (as claimed) and therefore don't fit your rig, you could ask them to pay for return shipping based on false product description. I do like that they now have a seal in the lid.
Note: After watching the short demo video on the frontrunner website, I'm not totally convinced the new latches are durable. Hard to tell from the video.

I know what you are referring to as "operating them correctly" but lets be honest, a storage box should not have latches that must be "operated correctly" for them not to break. I don't need another thing to try to "train" my wife to do properly while we are setting up or breaking down camp. haha. (yea, right!)

RE: Replacement latches - I find that one of the most annoying things of all. "The latches on our $50 plastic boxes are shite, so you need to spend another $20 per box (plus $10 shipping) for them to operate properly. I'd be embarrassed and ashamed to say that about any product I was trying to sell!

Agree on the skepticism regarding the new latches - thus my original post! :). Don't get me wrong - I think FR has some neat and innovative products, and I'm grateful to have found the "Goldilocks" storage box for my situation. I just would like a bit more assurance on this new version before I plunk down a wad of cash.

emulous74

So I bought some of the Wolf Pack pros and gave some of them as X-mas presents to some friends. I haven't used them on a trip yet, but I can say they are worth the money and the added weight. Their biggest bonus (air-tight) also is their biggest draw back, as it sometimes makes the lid tough to get off. The latches are so much better, however, sometimes you have to press down on the lid above the latch to get them unlatched. This is due to pressure. This is the only learning curve with them, and I've always been able to get the lid off.

While they are heavier than the originals, they are still light compared to pelican's cargo cases, they are not over designed, meaning they don't look like a fortune, but they do look like they will survive more than the standard wolf pack and they are differently worth more then the added $15.00 over the standard Wolf Packs.

My only problems are is I have the high lids on my standard Wolf Packs and those aren't offered for the Wolf Pack Pros and they don't stack nicely with the standard Wolf Packs.

The new latches are solid aluminum, very thick and robust. And you can leave one side latched and open the other side about half way.

HiPERnx

I'll get my new pro boxes tomorrow, my biggest gripe with the old one's is not the latches (i rather like them), but the fact that i need to release all latches to open the box. The new one it's enough to just open one side and the lid can swing open. Also like the fact that they are water proof (although not certified) and lighter than my pelican boxes. I can't see why Front Runner didnt put a preasure equilazation valve on the boxes tho, similar to Pelican boxes.
Video showing one side opening:

sherwood

Observer
You're right they do sell replacement latches, they also sell spring steel replacement clips, which in my book is an admission that their plastic clips are poor...

Wolf_Box_Clips_58de7896158ba.jpg

SBSYNCRO

Adding a small silicon plug to allow for pressure equalization probably would not be too hard. Maybe they will sell that as a $20 add-on to these new boxes to keep up the tradition of making us pay for their design flaws. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emulous74

Maybe I need to use more force, but I've only been able to open them about halfway when only one side is unlatched. I also don't like the fact that the mechanism they sell to attach them to a roof rack is more than the boxes themself.

HiPERnx

Can confirm that they are in fact able to open 90 degrees with one side closed. They do seem more sturdy to sit on compared to the old Wolf Packs. As for the brackets, I can’t try them due to the fact that it was raining the other day and then froze so the slots in my front runner rack are frozen. They seem sturdy, but somewhat unpractical as you need to unlatch both sides to gain access to the box, wish they had a strap that just ran across the entire box and just one latch.
B1D29134-0C25-4BFB-B8FF-A5D4A01FD63A.jpeg

SteveG

Adventurer
Not yet, but I'm ordering them to replace my original Front Runner boxes. Looking forward to it!

Edit: I've been using Front Runner boxes for over 9 years and countless trips. In all that time, I've only ever broken two latches and it was my own fault. I did buy the upgraded latches but never installed them....

Attachments

• Bronco Cargo Area.jpeg
    Bronco Cargo Area.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:

mtngote

[/QUOTE]
Can confirm that they are in fact able to open 90 degrees with one side closed. They do seem more sturdy to sit on compared to the old Wolf Packs. As for the brackets, I can’t try them due to the fact that it was raining the other day and then froze so the slots in my front runner rack are frozen. They seem sturdy, but somewhat unpractical as you need to unlatch both sides to gain access to the box, wish they had a strap that just ran across the entire box and just one latch.
View attachment 706014
How did you get them to open 90 degree's. How easy was it? We just received our new Wolf pak Pro's and they only open 45 degrees did they swing freely to 90 degrees

MiamiC70

I love how FrontRunner jacked the price of the Original Wolf Pack boxes $20 since I bought mine in 2019 for $39.99 and then tagged another $10.00 on the NEW boxes. Gotta love capitalism.

05.25.2023 update make that “they tagged another $40.00 on the boxes“. FrontRunner taking a page out of the Apple playbook call it “Pro” double the price. Can’t wait to see what they charge for Wolf Pack Ultra? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne