Has anyone seen the Opus Campers?

fortel

Adventurer
I like how bright the interior is compared to the traditional pop-up we had at one time. Thanks for sharing.

DaveM

Explorer
bump

Just discovered this trailer. Looks like a good compromise between a traditional pop-up and tent/trailer combos. Would love to hear ExPo members reviews if anyone happens to own or have used one of these.

I'm getting old enough to not want to sleep on the ground anymore, but dislike the idea of a full on camper.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
There was a "rep" at the PacNW Rally last year and I talked to him about it. First, he wasn't an official rep but was considering signing up as he had done some trips and was really enjoying it.

He said that the stock model wasn't really suited for off-road but it does use a trailing arm suspension and could be upgraded easily. He was trying to get the manufacturer to consider offering it as an option.

Setup is as easy as depicted. I watched as he took it down and back up in front of me.

Space inside is huge. The zip windows are large and well placed, although if it started raining, you'd want to be close by to close it up.

The kitchen is a nice layout (without spending anytime in it though). It appears the people who designed it had been camping before.

Having grownup with pop-up campers, this is definitely a step up from the 70's era models we had. I think it's fairly well priced except for the fact that you can knock off 20% MSRP from a dealer of a lot of other brands. Although, if you're the least bit claustrophobic, this would be a much better solution.

Tacobro

OPUS mark II 2 sleeper 4 sleeper

Hey guys, opus have made a real off road ready camper trailer. I ordered mine in Nov of 2016 and its just about ready to ship to the USA. It has air pole technology instead of traditional poles and real suspension. The rear end is cut out for real departure angles and has outdoor kitchen and slide outs for fridge and stroage. Has jerry can storage and real carrying capacity. This seems to be the perfect solution to a nice quick set up. Check it out! look on the facebook posts titled opus mark 2 4 sleeper there will be lots of pics. Cheers

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Since this a necrothread I'll add this for posterity.

Have been in and under the opus classic model in North Carolina and my final decision was it's way over priced at $20k, it's at most a $14-15k trailer. The dealer said he could do $18k as a "show special" and that's the best they would do. I've been doing trailer research for over a year. I've narrowed my search to an offroad type pop up or a schutt xv3. I've looked at everything in between from manley to conqueror.

The same day I looked at the opus I looked at a rockwood 1910 ESP. The rockwood is a traditional pop up but it's been "beefed up" so to speak for moderate off highway use. No your not going to drag it behind you through the trails at moab but the factory height is way taller than the opus and some other pop up's out there. The build quality of the opus seemed ok, it was for sure not anything over any pop up I've seen. I feel with any of these pop up's they wouldn't stand up well to hard use. The rockwood was the same, they are mass produced so pressed wood cabinets with minor alignment issues, minor stitching issues on the fabrics etc are the norm. The tent material on the opus struck me as the same type one would get on a ruggedized RTT which I felt it should have been slightly better based on the price. The rockwood came with a ton of stuff standard like prewired for a zamp solar kit, the awning was dometic with built in led lights, the mattresses were heated, on board water tank, heated water, inside stove, plumbed for propane outside, outside grill etc. And that was for $9k The model I looked at had upgraded wheels/tires, ac, heat and a dometic fridge for $11,500 The opus trailer seem like everything is an option including water storage and the price was already so high to start by adding a few things it would easily put the trailer in the $21-22k range. For me I'd want to raise it at least 2" inches because it's just so low to the ground so there's another expense.

Not ****ting on it, it seemed like a nice trailer but for what's out there in that price point and after looking at trailers for a year for me it's overpriced.

Last edited:

ketchbaw

Did you opus come in yet? Was looking at the outback model on their Facebook page and it looks pretty awesome. Who did you order yours from?

Capercrew02

Observer
I just stopped by their us distribution center and talked to the us branch owners for a good hour and a half or more on our way through Sacramento. The outback IS in the states, air tents and air awnings are available. And I have to disagree with the above comments about quality compared to most pop ups. There is a NOTICABLE difference in frame, suspension, parts, and build quality improvements over a us trailer. For one, opus doesn't use wood in their box framing. They also have a proper off-road suspension, not just a spring flip and axle blocks. The air poles are a major long term winner for durability, and the tent material is noticeably of higher quality. 10 minutes in person and I could see the difference, two hours in and I was blown away at what you get for the price.

TwinStick

Explorer
Build quality looks really good to me. It is a great idea (air inflate). Depending on where you camp, animals may be something just to consider with any tent camper.

boarddork

mass colder deeper out
I just stopped by their us distribution center and talked to the us branch owners for a good hour and a half or more on our way through Sacramento. The outback IS in the states, air tents and air awnings are available. And I have to disagree with the above comments about quality compared to most pop ups. There is a NOTICABLE difference in frame, suspension, parts, and build quality improvements over a us trailer. For one, opus doesn't use wood in their box framing. They also have a proper off-road suspension, not just a spring flip and axle blocks. The air poles are a major long term winner for durability, and the tent material is noticeably of higher quality. 10 minutes in person and I could see the difference, two hours in and I was blown away at what you get for the price.

I had an early generation Opus on-road camper I bought second hand. We 1000% loved it - great design, pretty quick to put up or down versus my friend's Coleman tent trailer. The Opus' roof rack is awesome for bikes and surfboards. It was our swiss army knife of trailer exploring. After a couple seasons of use, we found our ourselves cooking outside all the time, and dreading packing up after 1 night when in a hurry for distance. Furthermore, boondocking in rough rocky areas left me a little white knuckled at times.

I'm sold on the OPUS brand quality and design. So I've ordered an Air Outback Opus, and taking delivery in October. The Air Outback Opus is a solid quality built game changer, in my opinion. I can't wait!

colodak

Adventurer
Wife and I looked at these last night at the RV show here in Denver, very nice, very impressive, although they didn't have the Air Opus model at the show, they did list it as available. The price though, even with the show discount was still $24,000. Yes, I realize the quality and what it's designed for, but for that same price, I can buy (almost did) a 30' (Over all length) hardside camper with more amenities and the dealer was willing to throw in several more items.

In fact looking at all the very small campers they had at the show, Opus, Intech, and such, they are priced close to that of a traditional hardside camper (and even more than a pop-up camper) and offer far less amenities.

CampStewart

Observer
I looked at a display model at Overland East. I have a Quicksilver 10.0 that i will be putting up for sale before the next camping season. They are very similar in concept and function. I think the Opus is a bit better built but not enough to justify its premium price. The Quicksilvers are all aluminum and composite, no wood to rot. If you are impressed with the Opus you might want to do some research on the domestic Quicksilvers.

Enigma

Observer
I'd be scared of having a camp fire anywhere near that inflatable tent portion, which takes most of the joy out of camping...the fire that is. Trailer looks nice though.

Grassland

I haven't had a chance to see an Opus in person, but what I am reading its light years ahead of US produced pop ups. A arm suspension? Shocks? Not made of particle board? I haven't see a pop up made by any Thor or Forest River subsidiaries that had any of those features.
And as far as 30' mainstream RV, or any mainstream US RV for that matter, the price is low because its a stapled together particle board, MDF, and caulk job that will fall apart in short order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles