Has anyone seen one of these yet?

Porkchopexpress

I don't know how or who could re-establish those manuf weights unless they decide to take on a lot of liability.
From my brief Google research, it seems you would have to be a certified coach builder. Probably something along the lines of what limousine builders do to stretch Cadillacs and Lincolns.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
With the Frame mods can they retest the truck and have a new payload number assigned?

I don't believe that is the case and the mods would not change the factory rated payload rating...
From my brief Google research, it seems you would have to be a certified coach builder. Probably something along the lines of what limousine builders do to stretch Cadillacs and Lincolns.

Yes, they could opt to re-specify the payload as an upfitter/coach-builder. HOWEVER, to do this, they would assume some amount of responsibility for the change - in other words, they assume liability. They cannot, for example, just slap some stiffer springs on and add a sticker that says "new GVRW is 7500lbs". Testing, or at least design analysis, would need to be done to provide a certification of the re-rated GVRW. Put another way, they need to do enough to cover their asses if a customer has a problem and decides to sue. If they sell a truck "rerated" 1000lbs higher than OEM and the frame snaps in half after 20k miles, you can bet they'll be held accountable unless they have the receipts to show that it wasn't their fault.

nickw

Adventurer
Yes, they could opt to re-specify the payload as an upfitter/coach-builder. HOWEVER, to do this, they would assume some amount of responsibility for the change - in other words, they assume liability. They cannot, for example, just slap some stiffer springs on and add a sticker that says "new GVRW is 7500lbs". Testing, or at least design analysis, would need to be done to provide a certification of the re-rated GVRW. Put another way, they need to do enough to cover their asses if a customer has a problem and decides to sue. If they sell a truck "rerated" 1000lbs higher than OEM and the frame snaps in half after 20k miles, you can bet they'll be held accountable unless they have the receipts to show that it wasn't their fault.
This is an interesting discussion - one step further:

" Changes to a vehicle’s structure and weight can affect whether it complies with the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSSs) and can even change the vehicle’s classification. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) requires all manufacturers and companies that alter vehicles to be registered with the agency....

NHTSA requires companies that make changes to vehicles (commonly called vehicle alterers) to assume legal responsibility for the FMVSSs certification of the altered vehicle. NHTSA further requires vehicle alterers to display on each altered vehicle a label certifying that the vehicle complies with FMVSSs requirements; the certification label must show the vehicle’s completion date, its GVWR, and its gross axle weight rating...

The NTSB recommends that limousine companies ensure a minimum level of safety for the altered vehicles they purchase by (1) only purchasing vehicles that pass a structural and mechanical safety inspection, (2) obtaining from the alterer an engineer’s certification that the altered vehicle meets all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards affected by the alteration, and (3) ensuring that a secondary certification label is affixed to the limousine before purchase."

nickw

Adventurer
In the case of Cadillacs and Lincolns, looks like the manuf actually specifies how much they can be stretched by the coach builders while still maintaining factory warranties and design parameters.

" If a limousine is not built by an authorized participant in either the Lincoln Qualified Vehicle Modifier (QVM) or Cadillac Master Coachbuilder (CMC) program, the end user will have trouble with his/her warranty.

However, Cadillac and Lincoln both offer standard extended warranties on limousines built under the guidelines they have established. Lincoln’s standard warranty for QVM limousines is 4 years/150,000 miles. Cadillac’s standard warranty on CMC limousines is 3 years/150,000 miles."

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I stopped by on the spur of the moment earlier this week to say hey (they are very close to Battle Born Batteries and I had just picked up some kit there). It's not just vaporware, they are working hard to create a cool product. Can't wait to see it when they are ready for the reveal.

Btw, Battle Born is getting ready to move into their new 90,000 square foot facility very soon. This will be a big step forward for them, as they will now be able to have dedicated production lines for their different products.

Last edited:
Reactions: mog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior