Has anyone gone from a drawer system back to a simpler way of storage in their vehicles?

I've been considering ditching my drawer system, and going back to using storage boxes for my gear. I live on the Mojave Desert, and I like to bring all my stuff into the climate controlled house when it's not in use. It seems using storage boxes would make this a lot easier. Am I insane? Has anyone else done this?

DailyExpedition

I've been considering ditching my drawer system, and going back to using storage boxes for my gear. I live on the Mojave Desert, and I like to bring all my stuff into the climate controlled house when it's not in use. It seems using storage boxes would make this a lot easier. Am I insane? Has anyone else done this?

I use rigid stackable boxes for my gear, it’s easier since my rig is also my daily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Yes...I did just that. I have a "Jeep Kitchen" that I have kept in the Jeep for two years. The stove drawer and the fridge slide were fun to show off, but a pain in da butt to use. I canned it this year. Going back to a chuck box and stationary fridge.

What I learned is that in my opinion, drawer systems are too heavy, too expensive, and not nearly as convenient as you would think them to be. I have more than one camping rig now so a chuck box can easily be moved between them and I use a backpack to store all the little stuff that used to float around in the drawers.

Lucky j

Explorer
I kind of go with both.

In the LJ, I do use a drawer system, but not a kitchen set-up. Drawer is mostly made for the fridge and othe food that would not survive in my off road trailer because of back roads and trail comdition. It also help me to organize some of my stuff, but I do have to clean some of the drawers a little. It is also made so I can stack and tiedowns other boxes and duffle bags on top if needed too.

But, I made my drawer system so that if not needed, it can be slided in and out of the jeep if needed. Would I go back to boxe and creates in the jeep, nope. For my next trailer, I think of a mix of slided and crates on slides. But this time, it will be a dedicated offroad /adventure trailer, but will keep the fridge in the jeep.

Chorky

Observer
Drawers are nice in a way but I think they kinda miss the mark - to me anyway. They really reduce the usable height in ones bed, whereas boxes that can be fully taken out can give you more modular ability. I think it all depends on one's personal needs, and what you consider to be an 'always carry' item too though. I just finished making a simple plywood side extension to my canopy which allowed for 'wasted' space under the canopy side box to be used, and to mount a few things. You can see it in my build thread. Second to last page I think. I would consider a flatbed with boxes to be much more usable than drawers.

troutbum1

I put a simple plywood piece on top of three 3/4 thick by 5" or 6" high boards long enough to extend from the back end of the highlander to the back of the "back seats". That gives me two separate areas under the plywood to slide two to four cat litter boxes where I store whatever items need to be in the car at all times: tools, first aid kit, tp roll, handiwipes, etc. This gives me more height in the back to bring my Rubbermaid camping bins needed for each trip but not used on a regular basis. I just store those in the garage loaded for trips.

bluejeep

just a guy
Sort of, I went from a 2nd level shelf/rack that went across the entire back of the LJ, to just 3 Wolf boxes and 2 smaller side shelfs over the wheel wells. The Wolf boxes double as a sleep surface with passenger seat back slid forward, foam mattress on top. Things get pulled out and stowed in garage when not in use.

rayra

Expedition Leader
'insane'? No, but I hate to wonder what you are keeping in there normally which has you worrying about temps / theft?

My platform / drawers are ~10" tall overall height. I've still got 25" at the center of the Liftgate coaming and 23" over most of it. I'm able to slide a boxed 50gal water heater or an upside down standard wheelbarrow in there, or a variety of portable workbenches, power tools etc. The cargo area of my Sub has an interior roof a few inches higher than the coaming, stepping down around the 2nd row. The Sub's got just over 8' of room behind the front seats, so I'm still able to load 4'x8' sheet goods.

But all that is beside the point. I've got a 54"L x 19"W x 8"D drawer that is chock-full of all my roadside emergency, recovery, first aid stuff and basic hand tools. That stuff is always in the vehicle and nobody can see what's there. The other drawer is 9"D and has some prepper stuff and the rest of the load changes depending on what I'm to. They both lock, rifles will fit in the other drawer. 30' pull strap, tie downs, hitches, etc. And nobody can see what's in there.

I used to keep such stuff in a plastic footlocker. Or in seabags / surplus mil fabric luggage.

subwood.jpg

Now it's all out of sight. Which is just what I need the 99% of the time I'm in s-hole Los Angeles.

storagebuild131.jpg
storagebuild120.jpg

Ex Animo

I ditched my custom built drawer system for more totes/boxes but mainly for weight issues.
Drawer:

Now I just slide everything under the deck which can be a pain sometimes but worth the -20 pounds

dcg141

Adventurer
Frontrunner has a system I have been looking at that is a drawer system with storage boxes. I have never had a drawer system and I like the idea but I also like storage boxes you can take out. Cub Pack system

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Frontrunner has a system I have been looking at that is a drawer system with storage boxes. I have never had a drawer system and I like the idea but I also like storage boxes you can take out. Cub Pack system

Taking the gear out for normal use would help, but what often goes unnoticed is the shear weight of the drawer system itself.

The Cub Pack weighs 159 lbs. In your rig. All the time. It very well might weigh more than what you put in it. Not trying to be negative....but if it was cheap or free I would still have an issue with the extra weight. They are very proud of that puppy (like all Front Runner gear).

Your rig might tolerate that weight better than mine though. :)

krick3tt

Adventurer
My LR now has the front runner drawer system. I removed the third row seats which were just about the weight of the drawer system so not much difference. What I put in them I would have put into something that would have added more weight so it comes off to be a trade off.

dcg141

Adventurer
Taking the gear out for normal use would help, but what often goes unnoticed is the shear weight of the drawer system itself.

The Cub Pack weighs 159 lbs. In your rig. All the time. It very well might weigh more than what you put in it. Not trying to be negative....but if it was cheap or free I would still have an issue with the extra weight. They are very proud of that puppy (like all Front Runner gear).

Your rig might tolerate that weight better than mine though. :)
Yea I'm really fluid about a drawer system in general. The cost more than weight and the amount of room it takes up vs storage. It's something I could see me having buyers remorse over.

Last edited:

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Yea I'm really fluid about a drawer system in general. The cost more than weight and the amount of room it takes up vs storage. It's something I could see me having buyers remorse over.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong brother. FR has siphoned several grand out of me. It's good kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles