Has Anyone Found 18" 8-Lug Alloy Wheels with a High Load Rating? SRW

deminimis

Explorer
New Chev 3500 SRW. If I had to guess, the factory 18" alloys probably have a load rating around 4k. Problem is, that's only a guess and for whatever reasn, GM ain't talking. After a lot of searching, the only aftermarket 18" 8X180 alloy wheel I could find (with specs) with greater than 4k load rating was Method NV HD series wheels (4500#). I don't hate Method, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has come up with something better? Staying 18" and don't really want steel. Thanks!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Raceline Defenders Im running (18x9) are rated at 3650#

As I recall, it was the highest load rating available in that size Raceline had available at the time.
And looking at the sheets of Raceline truck wheels, I think they might simply max out @ 3650#

At least for "off the shelf" options. Raceline does have custom built options that might spec higher

https://racelinewheels.com/truck/suv

https://racelinewheels.com/939p

X_tech_data_updated_935B.jpg

47498240622_b71e51ce06_b.jpg

deminimis

Explorer
Thank you sir. At present, the Method NV HD wheels are the winners. Hopefully I'll get a response from GM regarding the factory alloy rating. Ha! Best tire for me comes in at 4080, so the Methods will have me covered. I'd prefer to keep the stockers (wheels), but want hard numbers that don't seem to be forthcoming from GM.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
How heavy are you planning to be? You certainly do not have to match load rating of the wheel to the tires.

I went for the high capacity (4080) tires for the lower PSI payload, not the max payload (@80PSI)

With a target weight for my rig being 12,000 loaded, the weight per wheel is just 3000k lbs, well short of the wheel rating (3650lbs), and even further from the tire rating (4080lbs)

Using the Toyo inflation tables, that puts me in the 50-55PSI area, providing a better ride and making the tires a bit more resistant to punctures/damage.

deminimis

Explorer
I'll be heavy as usual, but would like some wiggle room if possible. Rear is 3k empty (but for fuel and me) Likely camper will be 3k dry. Gear, beer, bodies etc, another 1500-2000. Depending on actual numbers in the end, I'd like to go flatbed again, but doubt I'll have the numbers to manage it.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Not the way I run. I build aiming to load the front and rear axle to the same % of max, ideally.
But I also refuse to go DRW, so its always a heavy spec SRW, with slightly less of a rear axle rating anyhow.

So for example if I have a 6k front and 8k rear, and look to run at 10k lbs,
Ill built with the intention to load the front to roughly 4,200lbs and the rear to 5,800lbs
That loads each axle to roughly 70% max rating.

Until Toyo gives me a great reason not to, the only tire Ill run is their Open Country AT2 (y)

Currently running 285/75r18's, good for 4080lbs @ 80PSI

Properly inflated, they ride just fine. They are certainly the roundest and most easy to balance tire I've ever run.
And for a non winter spec tire, they are pretty good. Much of our traveling is in the winter, on ice & snow,
and pushing into occasional un-plowed campground. Never a problem.
With the added weight of a truck camper, they stick very well. Rarely to I really NEED 4wd.

XJINTX

Explorer
On my F250 I just went from the Lariat 20" rims with 35" BFG KO2's to 17" Methods with 35" KO2's so I have a lot more rubber and smoother ride. Glad I finally did it! The Rims look and are performing fine thus far.

Attachments

• reduced.jpg
    reduced.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 22

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94