Has anyone figured out a solid mounting setup for the ALU CAB expedition 3?

Because this is my 4th RTT and the mounting to a standard rack or my prisnu style rack makes no sense to me, and I cannot find anything from ALU CAB.

Attachments

• DSCN9884.JPG
    DSCN9884.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 60

SP Jon M3

Observer
I just move my Baroud RTT from the Front Runner Slimline rack to Rhino Rack Vortex Crossbars. This install seems to not only be more stable (tent doesn't bounce as much) but it also reduced the weight on the roof by 70-80lbs (I did the math a while back, but don't remember the exact amount).

Nathansharkey80

The load ratings for the roof bars that you left a link for show that the maximum load is 100kg. With the weight of a roof rack plus two adults, the weight rating would be not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emulous74

I share mine with a friend who mounts it on her 4Runner with a prinsu style rack, what she ended up doing was mounting Alu-Cab load bars to the prinsu style rack and that made attaching the Alu-Cab tent very easy. On my set up on my truck, the tent easily mounts to my Leitner Load bars, and the front of it rested on my back Thule bar on the back of the cab. What's nice is the Alu-Cab load bars are pretty thin (they even offer a low-profile version), so it won't stick up from the prinsu style rack much.

Stabwell

I had a Gamiviti roof rack on my truck. I sold it and bought the Alu-cab load bars. I had to buy 3 bars because the stock roof rack mounts on the 100 series aren't spaced right to only need two bars. Unfortunately, they make a hell of a whistle sound, but that might just be how the air flows on my truck.512240

Last edited:

jackhossross

I had a Gamiviti roof rack on my truck. I sold it and bought the Alu-cab load bars. I had to buy 3 bars because the stock roof rack mounts on the 100 series aren't spaced right to only need two bars. Unfortunately, they make a hell of a whistle sound, but that might just be how the air flows on my truck.View attachment 512240

Long shot here - but wondering what you did to get yours mounted?

Tiny Rig Co. // Sherpa are claiming that only two footpacks are needed for the 100 series mount w/ AluCab RTT.

I am swapping my AluCab RTT to my 100 series from my FJ62 -- and struggling to find a good solution.

my email is bngcruiser @ gmail . com if you could follow up?

Stabwell

Long shot here - but wondering what you did to get yours mounted?

Tiny Rig Co. // Sherpa are claiming that only two footpacks are needed for the 100 series mount w/ AluCab RTT.

I am swapping my AluCab RTT to my 100 series from my FJ62 -- and struggling to find a good solution.

my email is bngcruiser @ gmail . com if you could follow up?

According to Alu-cab, the tent only needs two mounting points. On the 100 series, the roof rack mounting points are, in my opinion, too close together to fully support the tent. Rin from OK4WD agreed with me and recommended a third load bar under the front. As you can see in the above pics, I added the third load bar and made a mount using a piece of steel angle to attach to the rails under the tent. The foot mounts I used were some Gamiviti foot mounts I had. If I were to do it over again, I'd try to use Trail Tailor's low profile mounts. I had it mounted that way for about a year. It worked great. I now have it mounted to a Dissent roof rack, so the tent is now fully supported the entire length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke