Has anyone bought or ordered a M-project from 4 wheel camper?

kodiak-black

Observer
Just curious if anyone has taken the plunge. There's so many options on the market now compared to just 2 years ago.

kodiak-black

Observer
Wow. A lot of views and not a single response? Well there's a lot options out there now that are more hipster. I suppose the window may have closed. Interesting.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Never heard of them before. I didn't think FWC made anything for under 20k.

I'd rather support the smaller guys when it comes to the bare bones camper shells like OVRLND Camper or GFC

dman93

Adventurer
Hi @kodiak-black I’m also in Santa Cruz, and saw one of the protos on a Taco on the Westside last summer. Also, Matt from Adventure Sports Journal here has one on an 8’ bed Ram truck. Been thinking about it, but to me the headroom over the sleeping platform in FWC’s seems constrictive.

kodiak-black

Observer
dman93 that's a very good point and one I had forgotten. My feelings are the that the east/west sleeping arrangement means that someone will be stuck in the front corner.

Owned an Outfitter pop-up for a few months and my wife complained of being stuck in the front part of the bed. She me asked me to switch for a night. When I did, I was felt claustrophobic as all hell, very uncomfortable to say the least. When laying in the sleeping section it's amazing how close the ceiling feels.

I suppose the tall part of a wedge set-up would feel much more open when combined with north/south sleeping arrangement.

tacofriday

a few have, a local guy in the PNW just posted pics of one on an F-150

i think its a great concept. Mid size trucks/150's dont have the legal payload for a slide-in with any amount of weight beyond 1 person + gear. It's light enough you can drive around with it on full time and not worry about gas mileage/handling, and it has the room for those of us with a wife plus at least 1 kid. Perhaps most importantly it maintains the utility of the truck for times when you're not camping.

mutt550

Observer
I would love one but.....hate there is no door only the ol camper shell lift gate...... If they would put in rear door with option to open whole back to load big stuff.....motorcycle, atv ,deer, elk,etc. I'd be all over it. Have a buddy who's in the same situation.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
dman93 that's a very good point and one I had forgotten. My feelings are the that the east/west sleeping arrangement means that someone will be stuck in the front corner.

Owned an Outfitter pop-up for a few months and my wife complained of being stuck in the front part of the bed. She me asked me to switch for a night. When I did, I was felt claustrophobic as all hell, very uncomfortable to say the least. When laying in the sleeping section it's amazing how close the ceiling feels.

I suppose the tall part of a wedge set-up would feel much more open when combined with north/south sleeping arrangement.
Ditto here in our Northstar.I swapped places and it's definitely tight. Headroom's not the greatest but I'll live with it with the spacious underbed storage. Newer Northstar 850SC's have an additional 3" of headroom.

Roger M.

Adventurer
a few have, a local guy in the PNW just posted pics of one on an F-150

Mid size trucks/150's dont have the legal payload for a slide-in with any amount of weight beyond 1 person + gear.
My 2013 F-150 is rated for a payload of 3400 pounds, so not quite an accurate statement.
2 door long (8') box with the payload package and the V-8.

billiebob

500#, $9K, Sounds like the fastest, easiest, lightest and maybe cheapest way to get a weathertight stand up camper.

I've seen one on the ferry, looks quality too.
But it is just a shell.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My 2013 F-150 is rated for a payload of 3400 pounds, so not quite an accurate statement.
2 door long (8') box with the payload package and the V-8.
Ford can say what they want but I wouldn't feel safe in that truck with a Lance 935.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Single biggest reason I would never run such a load on a half ton is the rear axle.
Loaded and wet you'd be running right at or over the sub 5k rated semi float axle.

Running that heavy, Id only suggest a full floating axle. For Ford, that means 3/4 or 1-ton.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles