Harney Peak, South Dakota

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
I was doing some recon looking for climbing in The Needles in South Dakota and decided to hike up to the top of Harney Peak. The climbing in The Needles looks absolutely unreal, I cannot wait to go back. :rappel:

They were filming National Treasure 2 in the area (apparently the craptacular Nicholas Cage movie warranted a sequel) so a lot of the trails were closed, but I managed to find a route to the peak. Harney Peak is the highest point in South Dakota. If you are a glass-half-full kind of person you will
note that it is higher than any point along the Appalachian Trail. Pessimists might note that at 7242 feet it is still lower than many passes in Colorado. :oops:

There is a fire lookout at the peak with great views in every direction.

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
With the days being so long I had a chance to hike to "Little Devil's Tower" on the return from Harney Peak, which offered me another view of the peak. The granite of South Dakota is so different from the slickrock of Utah or the tuft of New Mexico.

Scott Brady

Founder
Cool adventure Harry. Are you seeking out highpoints? That has been something several of us have been working after.

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
I haven't really been consciously seeking out high points but now that you mention it Wheeler Peak in New Mexico and Boundary Peak in Nevada are on my list of places to hike.

JPFreek1

Explorer
Very cool Harry!

Speaking of high points, y'all need to come down to Texas sometime and visit Guadalupe Mountains National Park with us. We had planned to go out there this weekend but had to scrap the trip till later in the year. Guadalupe Peak is the high point in Texas and from what I hear, a truly wonderful and moderately challenging hike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior