Harmonic vibration-not the kind my wife likes

JonnyUT

I've got a 2015 Taco with 93K on it. Automatic transmission. It's got a 2in lift and a Four Wheel Camper on the stock 5.5ft bed. About a year ago I started to feel a vibration that comes and goes rhythmically and very steadily around 65 MPH. Now it is worse and also is strong at 40 MPH. It happens when accelerating and decelerating. I had the carrier bearing replaced (it was loose) and the u joints and the the whole drive shaft balanced. I have new tires on the rig and it still happens. Seems fine in 4 wheel drive (I dont go 65MPH in 4WD tho) Any ideas? Transmission? Diff? Thx!

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Sounds like this might be the problem...common to the Taco and the 4Runner. There is a good fix:

thezentree

pretend redneck
For what it's worth I spent probably 3 years chasing a vibration exactly like you describe on my 01 4Runner. Three sets of tires, two sets of wheels, ECGS diff bushing, two sets of CV axles, adjustable rear upper control arms, and three driveshafts. It ended up being the rear driveshaft, and I discovered this when I had the second driveline shop balance my second try with Tom Woods.

Find a driveline shop that builds driveshafts for race cars (not just your local Fleet Pride) and have them look at your driveshaft. You may also have a bad double cardan.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Sounds like this might be the problem...common to the Taco and the 4Runner. There is a good fix:
This. Unfortunately it‘s pretty common on this gen Taco. There was a warranty extension a few years back. Probably expired now. Check the VIN at the dealer. Or if you want to send me the VIN I’ll be happy to check for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles