Harley to get into the adventure bike game

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I remember those days too. :)

I spent many an hour at my local HD dealer weighing my options, but money was tight ... and I couldn't justify another bike.

I really liked the idea of the Buell concept. The super torquey and reliable 1200 platform in a sport tourer / dual sport frame should have been a winner.

However, IMHO and experience HD dealers did not get it.

BTW, I am one of those guys who appreciates both a Heritage and a Monster ... and put a ton of miles on a Suzuki VX800 as a poor grad student. :)

I had a 2007 Buell XB12 Lightning, the low model. It had an obnoxious Jardine exhaust and lots of cool bolt on bits. I rode the piss out of that bike and when I had to low side it to avoid hitting an old farmer in his rusty pickup as he cut the corner on a rural road, I had Harley make me a new frame with matching VIN and I rebuilt it. They were unique bikes and I enjoyed mine thoroughly, but Harley ran the brand into the ground and they were just too niche for mainstream riders.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
^^^

Such a cool bike ... sigh.

Good story. Glad you (seemingly) walked away from your slide! Thanks for sharing!!!

One broken wrist, two cracked ribs and some gravel in my knee, but I rode it home over two hours at highway speeds. After the accident I limped it to a gas station about six miles from the scene to take a rest and asses the damage with a few riding buddies. I had a bottle of water and contemplated towing it home. I found JB Weld for sale in the store and proceeded to buy a strawberry sorbet popsicle in order to get the popsicle stick out of it. I then applied the JB Weld to the crack in the frame (the frame doubled as the fuel tank) with the popsicle stick so that I could fill it up with fuel and ride it home.

When I took it in to the Harley dealer to have the replacement frame ordered the techs were astounded at the quality of my road side repair and asked if I welded on the side lol. The ride home was brutal with the wrist and rib injuries, but I knew if I had it towed and hailed a ride I would have felt defeated and my GF at the time would have had a nervous break down until I got back. My street bike and track riding days are over and the whole adventure thing, while at least 50% on the street, will be focused on off-road and back road travel.

GB_Willys_2014

One broken wrist, two cracked ribs and some gravel in my knee, but I rode it home over two hours at highway speeds. After the accident I limped it to a gas station about six miles from the scene to take a rest and asses the damage with a few riding buddies. I had a bottle of water and contemplated towing it home. I found JB Weld for sale in the store and proceeded to buy a strawberry sorbet popsicle in order to get the popsicle stick out of it. I then applied the JB Weld to the crack in the frame (the frame doubled as the fuel tank) with the popsicle stick so that I could fill it up with fuel and ride it home.

When I took it in to the Harley dealer to have the replacement frame ordered the techs were astounded at the quality of my road side repair and asked if I welded on the side lol. The ride home was brutal with the wrist and rib injuries, but I knew if I had it towed and hailed a ride I would have felt defeated and my GF at the time would have had a nervous break down until I got back. My street bike and track riding days are over and the whole adventure thing, while at least 50% on the street, will be focused on off-road and back road travel.
That is some hard core badassery right there. Much respect to you!!!

I, OTOH, would have wimped out.

Interesting you mention that you are no longer riding (main) streets. I posted in another thread that I am on a "hiatus". I don't have the desire to ride, but don't want to sell my bike. I know ... it makes no rational sense. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles