Hardwiring DC-AC inverter

Dave

Explorer
The next project for my truck will be hardwiring a 400/800 watt DC-AC inverter for powering little things like recharging camera batteries, charging a laptop, etc.. At first this seemed like a simple no brainer, but the more I looked at it the less simple it became.

My thought was I'd use 4 or 6 gauge wire for both hot and ground. I'd also like to wire in a dash-mounted switch using a relay since the inverter itself will be mounted in a place where the onboard switch is not easily accessible. That's where it seems to get a complicated. I can't find a female spade terminal that is big enough for 6-gauge wire. The female spade is needed for the connection to the relay.

My question is, am I missing something obvious here? Do "they" make either a 6-gauge female spade terminal OR do "they" make a 12v relay that accepts ring terminals?

Thanks,
Dave

PCRover

Adventurer
You can get a 12V relay with studs for ring connectors. They are readily available on the web. Try a google search for 12v solenoid. here's one link

solenoid_big.jpg

Last edited:

Dave

Explorer
Very good, thank you! I was searching for a relay rather then solenoid and was not having much luck.

Scott Brady

Founder
Instead of running a big (and expensive) relay, I just tied into the on/off switch of the inverter. I have a little switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles