Hardshell Tents Colors vs. Temperature

noahsf

Interested in a James Baroud Evasion hardshell to be used in many different western USA climates. Does anyone have real world experience with JB tents or Autohome in black vs. white?

Are black hardshell tents noticeably hotter in the inside? Do the gel coats break down faster? Any thoughts appreciated! Thank you!

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I dark colored tent will always be hotter inside - - whether you are in it or it is stored or traveling. Laws of physics at work. I do not think that it effects the gelcoat much, if at all. When customers want a dark colored tent I always advise them of this. That said, many of our customers prefer the black or gray tents for the 'stealth' look. And we provide them.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Depending on what western state you're looking at will depend on how the gel coat holds up. I bought my JB Evo second hand from AZ (grey shell) and it was severely faded. A lot buffed out with rubbing compound but it's still duller than it would have been had it come from Seattle.

shoredreamer

Observer
Noah, here is a video comparing white and black shell internal temps from Luke at Drifta. Not all hardshells are the same and the only fault in the video is that the fiberglass is not directly 90* to the sun, but still some good takeaways. I don’t think internal temps inside the tent, when open, change much between colors. I’ve only found that darker colors fade in the sun faster, exposed to UV, than lighter colors, whether that be fiberglass, metal or fabric.

shoredreamer

Observer
The problem that I see with the video is that when checking the inside of the tents temperature is the wind. If the same test was done without any wind the results would be much different. The inside would be much hotter. The fast moving air dose not give the inside air time to warm up as it is blown out when the cooler air replaces it.

There is a additional bit of information I would need answered. The insulation (lining) that is in the roof will make a difference. on the amount of heat to get into the tent. Again the wind at that location is not close to the same as a calm or no air movement scenario.

This is the same a a white vehicle or a black (or other dark color vehicle. They will both get hot but the dark colored vehicle will get hotter quicker.

Mike S. is correct and knows his stuff.

Da Frenchman
Yeah you got it, I forgot the wind on the video too botches results. I have plenty of hard shell tents on hand. I may just have to do a test myself at the shop.

I have a white one, but have been in a black one to compare on the same day. A temperature gauge may have indicated a slight difference, but I could not tell myself. As previously stated, the darker colors fade/scratch fairly early/easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz