Hardshell RTT -- how heavy is too heavy?

For a long time, I was content to sleep under a basic fiberglass shell on my Tacoma (first gen).

I just recently got another Tacoma to replace it (also first gen), and I'm realizing that I really like having a normal truck bed, and that I'm not a fan of crawling into a shell to grab gear.

I also do a lot of solo travel where I like to be able to set up and tear down fast, so it seemed like a hardshell RTT would be a great option, mounted onto a bed rack that would put the tent above the cab (these Tacomas only have a 6' bed, so any hardshell RTT would likely need to be a little bit over the cab).

My question is, with a smaller truck like a Tacoma, how much weight before I really start affecting the drivability of the rig? I like to do a fair bit of wheeling on Jeep trails and gnarly, challenging terrain (fun stuff in Death Valley, Moab, etc.), and I'm worried about a heavy RTT compromising that too much, or turning my truck into a scary, tippy mess. My truck has a fair bit of lift and is on big tires.

For example, I was fairly set on something like a JB Explorer, but now I'm wondering if putting 145lbs that high up is a bad idea. The Autohome Columbus isn't quite as exciting of a tent to me, but maybe it's worth the compromise for a tent that's 30lbs lighter?

I love the idea of a RTT, just want to make sure that I don't make my truck a lot less fun to drive when I get one. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
The Explorer from James Baroud will have minimal effect on your off-road capabilities. I've pushed my JKU for the past three years rather hard with my Explorer tent with no setbacks or trails I couldn't keep up with non tent equipped rigs.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have a poptop 80 series Land Cruiser and run the exact trails I ran before the poptop without concern. In many cases the guy with the "expedition" style roof rack pile with crap he doesnt need is compromised much more.

Should also mention that I probably won’t be carrying much else in the way of heavy equipment aside from basics like maxtrax, gas, jack, etc. All that will be either in the bed or mounted to the bedrack below.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
You are wise to take weight into account. You would be fine with a big heavy tent up there but would you be happy? You have to decide whether you plan to leave the tent on full time and how long your journeys are. I'm of the camp that the lighter the tent, the better and am willing to pay the extra money it takes to shave the weight off. My first tent was a huge Maggiolina "Adventure", I swear the thing was 180 Lbs, built for multi year expeditions. Great tent, wrong tent for me. Not only was it too heavy but it affected the trucks balance but it was too wide also so it affected the mileage too. My current tent would probably not be a good tent for you either, a sleek carbon fiber affair. Stays on my wagon full time and is ready for me to go off to the lake at a drop of a hat. Actually, it is on my wife's car and she doesn't mind because she doesn't notice it is up there. You will want the Goldilocks size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles