Hard-Sided Pop-Up Camper by Hiatus Campers

alex_the_axe

I don't think those are necessarily apple to apple comparisons. I'll throw in my two cents as an owner of a vintage FWC weighing replacement options. I live on the wet side of the Cascades and have owned my camper for about 3 years.
My Grandby is a '99/'00 which means it was built by the guys at ATC before they split from FWC.
A few months ago, I actually had ATC re-skin my roof and replace my pop-up siding and lift panels as it had a few leaks. They did a good job at a reasonable price.
ATC campers are less expensive because the design, construction, and materials are largely simpler than FWC, Hiatus, and others. This construction style works alright, but there's room for improvement. I still plan to replace in the next few years.
Before going down the repair route I looked at simply selling my older FWC and getting a project M when it was debuted. I even climbed around in the demo unit at Mule's open house in Tualatin. For me, the tailgate/lift panel combo was a no-go. I also feel the 80/20 implementation was a little rushed and could've been been better executed. In all, I felt that project M price was too close to the price for a shell while having less features.
The Hiatus is high on my list for FWC replacement if I keep my truck bed. In my wet environment love the idea of hard-side panels. I also really want barn doors. From manufacturing costs standpoint, the hard-side pop-up cost and barn doors justify the price gap from the FWC project M.

chet6.7

Explorer
The Hiatus is high on my list for FWC replacement if I keep my truck bed. In my wet environment love the idea of hard-side panels.
What are your thoughts on breaking the Hiatus down with a 40MPH wind and heavy rain like the costal PAC NW gets in winter?

alex_the_axe

What are your thoughts on breaking the Hiatus down with a 40MPH wind and heavy rain like the costal PAC NW gets in winter?

That's an important point to consider. I'll let Hiatus owners/users speak to that.

I do know that I already spend a bit of time tucking corners in on my FWC before latching the roof down with zero wind. It's even worse with wind.

landman

That's an important point to consider. I'll let Hiatus owners/users speak to that.

I do know that I already spend a bit of time tucking corners in on my FWC before latching the roof down with zero wind. It's even worse with wind.

Been there, done that. Easy. No problems.
The only thing you have to be carful of when closing it up in high winds, is that the walls will want to fold down quickly due to the wind pushing on them. So if you are not paying attention, it could catch you off guard.

Last edited:

landman

I don't think those are necessarily apple to apple comparisons. I'll throw in my two cents as an owner of a vintage FWC weighing replacement options. I live on the wet side of the Cascades and have owned my camper for about 3 years.
My Grandby is a '99/'00 which means it was built by the guys at ATC before they split from FWC.
A few months ago, I actually had ATC re-skin my roof and replace my pop-up siding and lift panels as it had a few leaks. They did a good job at a reasonable price.
ATC campers are less expensive because the design, construction, and materials are largely simpler than FWC, Hiatus, and others. This construction style works alright, but there's room for improvement. I still plan to replace in the next few years.
Before going down the repair route I looked at simply selling my older FWC and getting a project M when it was debuted. I even climbed around in the demo unit at Mule's open house in Tualatin. For me, the tailgate/lift panel combo was a no-go. I also feel the 80/20 implementation was a little rushed and could've been been better executed. In all, I felt that project M price was too close to the price for a shell while having less features.
The Hiatus is high on my list for FWC replacement if I keep my truck bed. In my wet environment love the idea of hard-side panels. I also really want barn doors. From manufacturing costs standpoint, the hard-side pop-up cost and barn doors justify the price gap from the FWC project M.

If you are ever in Arizona, let me know you are welcome to come tour my Hiatus!

landman

Landman, how long are the gas struts when the top is deployed? Do they have any identifying part numbers or manufacturer on them?

I have no idea. I’m short and cant see that high. I blame my father.

Last edited:

landman

Just got back from a 10 day trip in our @HiatusCampers. Flawless, amazing, and perfect was the trip and the camper. For those of you who say “price is too steep and wait is too long” I say, nothing good comes cheap or quickly. I mean honestly, what item in the overland world is actually ”cheap” in price??? Everything is relatively expensive. Also if you have never seen one in person, how could you say you don't understand the value?

Anyways, before I rant too much, here are some pics from our trip. The Hiatus camper did outstanding. I beat the crap out of it and it didn’t care whatsoever. We did many many 4wd trails. Went through storms, high winds, freezing temps, a little snow and everything else you’d expect in the mountains. No issues. Perfect.

More pictures from the trip in my build thread:

9B5561AB-4A33-4CEA-A55A-1106B70DDA0D.jpeg81791622-F64A-49C7-B919-47C7527DCC28.jpeg4C4DDA23-0B65-4114-8EC1-A9712A5DC17E.jpeg43A312D6-6210-4868-A886-4BBC199947C5.jpegDB6E31D5-4773-4794-A661-B6906E51EF26.jpeg525F6873-C308-4C40-B9F2-9D04B3098DCE.jpegEB64D31D-8E04-4914-9C6C-C7A064A8EFC1.jpeg
BC8DCEF2-10BA-43E2-8C5D-E732BD4797F1.jpeg

Last edited:

eternus

Observer
I just learned about the Hiatus Camper yesterday and I'm in love. My only sadness is the utter lack of imagery and stories. Is there one out there on a 5' bed truck (I'm considering one for my Gladiator)?

My goal is to keep my tailgate and let my truck still be a truck most of the time, but ready for me to stick a crate in there for my dog and some "furniture" for living in it periodically.

landman

I just learned about the Hiatus Camper yesterday and I'm in love. My only sadness is the utter lack of imagery and stories. Is there one out there on a 5' bed truck (I'm considering one for my Gladiator)?

My goal is to keep my tailgate and let my truck still be a truck most of the time, but ready for me to stick a crate in there for my dog and some "furniture" for living in it periodically.

A Hiatus Camper on a Gladiator would be an epic setup! I highly recommend contacting @HiatusCampers directly to chat with them. They can provide you with more pictures and information. Super-super nice folks.

trabs00

Lifetime Social Distancer
Update: It’s been an amazing 2.5 years with my Hiatus. After heavy use is still as good as the day I bought it. Its bomb proof. Its light. Its easy. It’s comfortable.

View attachment 757520
View attachment 757521
View attachment 757522

Anyone else with experience with one.
How comfortable is the bed? I am always sceptical of the sectional put together type... Wish they could make it a bit taller and have only one section of mattress to add and have that be able to be stored up top when closed... Understanding this would increase tent top sidewalls and be custom. For a minimal build out it would seem better for me to not have to figure out where to store the cushions / bed sections without getting them dirty.

Last edited:

Hoooogan

Anyone else with experience with one.
How comfortable is the bed? I am always sceptical of the sectional put together type... Wish they could make it a bit taller and have only one section of mattress to add and have that be able to be stored up top when closed... Understanding this would increase tent top sidewalls and be custom. For a minimal build out it would seem better for me to not have to figure out where to store the cushions / bed sections without getting them dirty.

Hey man, I just picked up my Hiatus last week and am currently chilling in it, on the Oregon coast.

The bed foam is decent for only being 2" thick. I wouldn't say I got the best sleep, but it's not rock hard like the GFC foam. ? I'm currently trying out an Exped Megamat Duo 15 tonight. It doesn't quite fit perfectly, as it's a tiny bit too wide and long, but I made it fit width wise (it's only about an inch oversized, but it's inflatable.). The end just hangs a couple inches off. This takes a bit of time to setup and tear down, but it could solve your bed comfort and closing issues. This 15 (6") is massive, so I'll probably downsize to the 10 (4").

While it is not recommended to close the top with the bed deployed, I tried it and it will work. BUT, the interior handles will press all the way into the cushions though, so that pressure will eventually warp the side panels and/or dent your cushions. If you replaced the hard plastic handles with something like 1" webbing/lashing strap, you could negate that issue. You really only need the handles to close it, and even that "can" be done without them. I also don't push the platform all the way in to close the top, only enough to clear the handles, which is like 8" on mine. I put the three cushions down low and leave my bedding up top. Easier to manage three cushions vs wrangling two blankets and a pillow. ??‍♂️ I could probably get away with leaving one or possibly two cushions up top with the bedding, but I haven't bothered.

With the Exped, I should be able to just open the deflate valve and let the roof squeeze/deflate it. I would leave some air in there to help support the panels when closed. I'll test that theory tomorrow.

BTW, I always experiment with things outside of recommendations, so this is not an invite to do what I do. Only that I have tried something that was "not" recommended.

Pic for fun, from a few hours ago.
PXL_20230330_234107968.jpg

trabs00

Lifetime Social Distancer
Hey man, I just picked up my Hiatus last week and am currently chilling in it, on the Oregon coast.

The bed foam is decent for only being 2" thick. I wouldn't say I got the best sleep, but it's not rock hard like the GFC foam. ? I'm currently trying out an Exped Megamat Duo 15 tonight. It doesn't quite fit perfectly, as it's a tiny bit too wide and long, but I made it fit width wise (it's only about an inch oversized, but it's inflatable.). The end just hangs a couple inches off. This takes a bit of time to setup and tear down, but it could solve your bed comfort and closing issues. This 15 (6") is massive, so I'll probably downsize to the 10 (4").

While it is not recommended to close the top with the bed deployed, I tried it and it will work. BUT, the interior handles will press all the way into the cushions though, so that pressure will eventually warp the side panels and/or dent your cushions. If you replaced the hard plastic handles with something like 1" webbing/lashing strap, you could negate that issue. You really only need the handles to close it, and even that "can" be done without them. I also don't push the platform all the way in to close the top, only enough to clear the handles, which is like 8" on mine. I put the three cushions down low and leave my bedding up top. Easier to manage three cushions vs wrangling two blankets and a pillow. ??‍♂️ I could probably get away with leaving one or possibly two cushions up top with the bedding, but I haven't bothered.

With the Exped, I should be able to just open the deflate valve and let the roof squeeze/deflate it. I would leave some air in there to help support the panels when closed. I'll test that theory tomorrow.

BTW, I always experiment with things outside of recommendations, so this is not an invite to do what I do. Only that I have tried something that was "not" recommended.

Pic for fun, from a few hours ago.
View attachment 771368

Thanks!
I appreciate the honest feedback. This is the one negative I see with their design. I'm also one to tinker / try different things. My Alu-cab RTTs mattress was terrible!! I stuck with it until a leak ruined the mattress and I replaced it with a 4" memory foam mattress m, HUGE improvement.?

How do you like the exped? Everyone seems to love them but I've just not tried one yet. It makes me think of my thermarest camping pad... Great when you're backpacking but I'd certainly like someone nice in a canopy camper.
For comparison, mine would be on a crewmax Tundra with 5.5" bed, with hiatus straight walled canopy portion

Hoooogan

Thanks!
I appreciate the honest feedback. This is the one negative I see with their design. I'm also one to tinker / try different things. My Alu-cab RTTs mattress was terrible!! I stuck with it until a leak ruined the mattress and I replaced it with a 4" memory foam mattress m, HUGE improvement.?

How do you like the exped? Everyone seems to love them but I've just not tried one yet. It makes me think of my thermarest camping pad... Great when you're backpacking but I'd certainly like someone nice in a canopy camper.
For comparison, mine would be on a crewmax Tundra with 5.5" bed, with hiatus straight walled canopy portion

They do a lot in the limited space, but I do agree it is one of the only negatives. It seems like they could accommodate a no-touch stow away, but it's not not an option. If that makes sense.

BTW, the Exped was pretty awesome last night. It is basically a large thermarest, but I can't complain. Stow away required me to manually deflate the Exped. The roof will NOT close if you do not deflate first. I deflated to about 1.5-2" and it shut like normal. Note: the sliding platform slides up and on top of the back portion, making the bed another 3/4-1" thicker when stowed. So you could theoretically add that much to the mattress thickness before you run into closing problems. I feel like the 4" Exped would be the ticket for my setup.

Here it is closed with the Exped deflated and slide fully out. I tucked the Exped in to fit within the platform. The handle barely rests on the platform rail, but that shouldn't cause any issues. It might also be different placement on your camper. Another pic to see the Exped just barely wrinkled from being stuffed in and inflated. And from the bottom up, showing how much is hanging off.

PXL_20230331_172829214.jpgPXL_20230331_045029342.jpgPXL_20230331_045008393.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke