Hard-Sided Pop-Up Camper by Hiatus Campers

mobydick 11

Do you make a 8 foot model with doors ,but you can still leave the tail gate on ? as a older guy I like the built in folding step on the tailgate . just a bit more safe to get in and out of .

HiatusCampers

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Do you make a 8 foot model with doors ,but you can still leave the tail gate on ? as a older guy I like the built in folding step on the tailgate . just a bit more safe to get in and out of .
Unfortunately we do not currently make a model like this. In our design (since it is not a slide in) it would be really hard to properly seal off this area and keep it dust/water tight. There are removable steps that you can attach to your trailer hitch, which would allow for easy and safe entry into the camper!

HiatusCampers

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Cool, it looks very similar to these earlier designs & implementation on Casa Trotter, do you think that will hinder your patent claims?

http://www.casa-trotter.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7838

First generation:
View attachment 561354

Second Generation:
View attachment 561353

View attachment 561355

View attachment 561356

View attachment 561357
We actually have already had someone contact us to let us know about this similar design that was made a long time ago. We brought this to the attention of our lawyer who had assisted us in filing for our patent. He let us know that in the US it is first to file and since we only filed for a patent in the US anyhow, it would not affect their rights or ability to continue producing their camper and vice versa. There are separate regulations governing international protection and as they reside in a different country, it shouldn't be an issue. If you're not familiar with our story, we've gone through a few iterations of camper builds, having lived full-time out of our original hard-sided, pop-up camper (as seen on GearJunkie). We then spent a year researching, testing, and prototyping different folding designs to finally land on our Hiatus model. At the time of development we did not know that someone else in another part of the world had worked on a similar model. We do recognize that we have come up with similar deigns at different times and in no way mean any disrespect to their work. We are simply trying to protect the material that we've chosen to patent in the country that we conduct our business. We appreciate the heads up and hope this helps bring some clarity (y)

Euro6

Hello,
as a design engineer with deep practice in patentability, and as far as I know about the french history of this first generation specific folding top roof, I am not so sure you could consider be totally free to operate.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Hello,
as a design engineer with deep practice in patentability, and as far as I know about the french history of this first generation specific folding top roof, I am not so sure you could consider be totally free to operate.

I have some IP experience but I'm not an expert. I may have missed something but was the European one patented? Also I know that patents do not necessarily cross borders. Alas, the real rubric is whether somebody wants to enforce it.

landman

Hello,
I have some IP experience but I'm not an expert. I may have missed something but was the European one patented? Also I know that patents do not necessarily cross borders. Alas, the real rubric is whether somebody wants to enforce it.

I too have years of experience in patentability/IP. Pursing patent/IP litigation across boarders is such a vastly expensive process It renders its self non-viable unless you are keen on burning bags and bags and bags of money and a massive pile of resolve to pursue. Even then, you are entering a universe filled with endless manusha to say the least. The smallest unique design detail (a type of screw, a type of fixture, a type of material, ect) can make the strongest patent infringement / IP argument fall apart. Saying, “well it looks like my design from x amount of years ago” will get you laughed at by an qualified international legal rep. in patent / IP.

@HiatusCampers keep your nose to the grind stone there and don’t let this noise bother you.

rruff

Explorer
...unless you are keen on burning bags and bags and bags of money and a massive pile of resolve to pursue.

In my single 2nd hand experience with a domestic patent, unless you have ~$1M to burn (or expect to gain more than this), there is no point going after someone for infringement. Patents are for big companies. And "prior art" (the Casa Trotter) should invalidate any claim HC would make against a domestic manufacturer doing something similar. Not that anyone is likely to make it worth the trouble anyway.

As always, focus on the myriad of aspects necessary produce and sell an excellent and affordable product, and you'll do well.

Roger M.

Adventurer
These are really going to shake up the current crop of thermal bridging prone units. The Hiatus really does look like a fantastic unit ... AND they make them for an 8’ box - a size sadly ignored by most all other manufacturers of pop-up caps.

alex_the_axe

They just posted a sneak peak of their first full-size build on Instagram. It looks very nice. I believe the owner of that truck posted earlier in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

landman

They just posted a sneak peak of their first full-size build on Instagram. It looks very nice. I believe the owner of that truck posted earlier in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup that was me. The worlds first full sized @HiatusCampers Is here! Thank you so much to Hiatus, they are hands down one of the best companies I’ve had the pleasure to do business with. They are honest, super kind, and damn good at what they do. I simply cant say enough good things about them. If you are on the fence about getting one of these things, DO IT. It’s a game changer. I am going to help promote @HiatusCampers and will be willing to meet people here in the Southwest who would like to tour my Hiatus to get a in person feel for the product. I think Hiatus is going to explode in popularity in the coming years and I’m proud to be one of the early adopters & supporters :) Thanks again guys!

Also for extra context on the build be sure to follow along on instagram: @slowly.over.stones
We also have a build thread here on Expedition Portal titled: The ”Puller” Project

Attachments

• A45CDF6E-4560-4DBF-90A9-420ADB212E12.jpeg
    A45CDF6E-4560-4DBF-90A9-420ADB212E12.jpeg
    741.6 KB · Views: 314
  • 505C7F28-A44E-4B29-A55B-8FF742D0308B.jpeg
    505C7F28-A44E-4B29-A55B-8FF742D0308B.jpeg
    511.3 KB · Views: 312
  • F3E16BA9-E836-4A63-89BB-DDF5175B9ED2.jpeg
    F3E16BA9-E836-4A63-89BB-DDF5175B9ED2.jpeg
    521.1 KB · Views: 313

Forum statistics

Threads