Hard-Sided Pop-Up Camper by Hiatus Campers

alex_the_axe

I don't think those are necessarily apple to apple comparisons. I'll throw in my two cents as an owner of a vintage FWC weighing replacement options. I live on the wet side of the Cascades and have owned my camper for about 3 years.
My Grandby is a '99/'00 which means it was built by the guys at ATC before they split from FWC.
A few months ago, I actually had ATC re-skin my roof and replace my pop-up siding and lift panels as it had a few leaks. They did a good job at a reasonable price.
ATC campers are less expensive because the design, construction, and materials are largely simpler than FWC, Hiatus, and others. This construction style works alright, but there's room for improvement. I still plan to replace in the next few years.
Before going down the repair route I looked at simply selling my older FWC and getting a project M when it was debuted. I even climbed around in the demo unit at Mule's open house in Tualatin. For me, the tailgate/lift panel combo was a no-go. I also feel the 80/20 implementation was a little rushed and could've been been better executed. In all, I felt that project M price was too close to the price for a shell while having less features.
The Hiatus is high on my list for FWC replacement if I keep my truck bed. In my wet environment love the idea of hard-side panels. I also really want barn doors. From manufacturing costs standpoint, the hard-side pop-up cost and barn doors justify the price gap from the FWC project M.

chet6.7

Explorer
The Hiatus is high on my list for FWC replacement if I keep my truck bed. In my wet environment love the idea of hard-side panels.
What are your thoughts on breaking the Hiatus down with a 40MPH wind and heavy rain like the costal PAC NW gets in winter?

alex_the_axe

What are your thoughts on breaking the Hiatus down with a 40MPH wind and heavy rain like the costal PAC NW gets in winter?
That's an important point to consider. I'll let Hiatus owners/users speak to that.

I do know that I already spend a bit of time tucking corners in on my FWC before latching the roof down with zero wind. It's even worse with wind.

landman

That's an important point to consider. I'll let Hiatus owners/users speak to that.

I do know that I already spend a bit of time tucking corners in on my FWC before latching the roof down with zero wind. It's even worse with wind.
Been there, done that. Easy. No problems.
The only thing you have to be carful of when closing it up in high winds, is that the walls will want to fold down quickly due to the wind pushing on them. So if you are not paying attention, it could catch you off guard.

Last edited:

landman

I don't think those are necessarily apple to apple comparisons. I'll throw in my two cents as an owner of a vintage FWC weighing replacement options. I live on the wet side of the Cascades and have owned my camper for about 3 years.
My Grandby is a '99/'00 which means it was built by the guys at ATC before they split from FWC.
A few months ago, I actually had ATC re-skin my roof and replace my pop-up siding and lift panels as it had a few leaks. They did a good job at a reasonable price.
ATC campers are less expensive because the design, construction, and materials are largely simpler than FWC, Hiatus, and others. This construction style works alright, but there's room for improvement. I still plan to replace in the next few years.
Before going down the repair route I looked at simply selling my older FWC and getting a project M when it was debuted. I even climbed around in the demo unit at Mule's open house in Tualatin. For me, the tailgate/lift panel combo was a no-go. I also feel the 80/20 implementation was a little rushed and could've been been better executed. In all, I felt that project M price was too close to the price for a shell while having less features.
The Hiatus is high on my list for FWC replacement if I keep my truck bed. In my wet environment love the idea of hard-side panels. I also really want barn doors. From manufacturing costs standpoint, the hard-side pop-up cost and barn doors justify the price gap from the FWC project M.
If you are ever in Arizona, let me know you are welcome to come tour my Hiatus!

landman

Landman, how long are the gas struts when the top is deployed? Do they have any identifying part numbers or manufacturer on them?
I have no idea. I’m short and cant see that high. I blame my father.

Last edited:

landman

Just got back from a 10 day trip in our @HiatusCampers. Flawless, amazing, and perfect was the trip and the camper. For those of you who say “price is too steep and wait is too long” I say, nothing good comes cheap or quickly. I mean honestly, what item in the overland world is actually ”cheap” in price??? Everything is relatively expensive. Also if you have never seen one in person, how could you say you don't understand the value?

Anyways, before I rant too much, here are some pics from our trip. The Hiatus camper did outstanding. I beat the crap out of it and it didn’t care whatsoever. We did many many 4wd trails. Went through storms, high winds, freezing temps, a little snow and everything else you’d expect in the mountains. No issues. Perfect.

More pictures from the trip in my build thread:

9B5561AB-4A33-4CEA-A55A-1106B70DDA0D.jpeg81791622-F64A-49C7-B919-47C7527DCC28.jpeg4C4DDA23-0B65-4114-8EC1-A9712A5DC17E.jpeg43A312D6-6210-4868-A886-4BBC199947C5.jpegDB6E31D5-4773-4794-A661-B6906E51EF26.jpeg525F6873-C308-4C40-B9F2-9D04B3098DCE.jpegEB64D31D-8E04-4914-9C6C-C7A064A8EFC1.jpeg
BC8DCEF2-10BA-43E2-8C5D-E732BD4797F1.jpeg

Last edited:

Recommended books for Overlanding

The Alchemist, 25th Anniversary: A Fable About Following ...
by Paulo Coelho
From $10.47
Dreaming of Jupiter
by Ted Simon
From $16.43
Americas Overland - The Driving Handbook
by Donald Greene
From $20
Long Way Down: An Epic Journey by Motorcycle from Scotlan...
by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman
From $5.72
Tortillas to Totems (Every day an Adventure Book 4)
by Sam Manicom
From $9.99

eternus

Observer
I just learned about the Hiatus Camper yesterday and I'm in love. My only sadness is the utter lack of imagery and stories. Is there one out there on a 5' bed truck (I'm considering one for my Gladiator)?

My goal is to keep my tailgate and let my truck still be a truck most of the time, but ready for me to stick a crate in there for my dog and some "furniture" for living in it periodically.

landman

I just learned about the Hiatus Camper yesterday and I'm in love. My only sadness is the utter lack of imagery and stories. Is there one out there on a 5' bed truck (I'm considering one for my Gladiator)?

My goal is to keep my tailgate and let my truck still be a truck most of the time, but ready for me to stick a crate in there for my dog and some "furniture" for living in it periodically.
A Hiatus Camper on a Gladiator would be an epic setup! I highly recommend contacting @HiatusCampers directly to chat with them. They can provide you with more pictures and information. Super-super nice folks.