Hard Shell RTT - Alu Cab vs GFC vs Camp King

1EPICFJ

I am curious why you think it is much better than Alu-cab? How does it compare? What is better? Better design? Better finish? Better features? Which?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my subjective reasoning:

Welds - The weld quality on the CK is perfect. I looked at an AC a couple weeks ago and found sub-par welds that looked sloppy.
Size - They're similar, but different in ways that I think make the CK stand out. For one, the CK has a longer mattress than the AC. This is huge for me at 6'6".
Comfort - The comfort of the mattress is better in the CK.
Ladder - The ladder design is far superior in the CK.
Finish - The quality of the aluminum is better in the CK as well, as I've seen several AC's that have "denting" or bowing in the metal (mainly on the roof).

The CK's overall fit and finish is outstanding. Additionally, I've heard of some issues with AC from a dealer stand point. I'm extremely happy with my purchase and would highly suggest checking CK out!

Nathansharkey80

Thanks for the feed back. Are you worried that the shocks/struts being mounted on the outside of the tent could be vulnerable to tree branches catching them and knocking them off or breaking them? Is this roof top tent very much lighter in weight compared to the eezi-awn stealth or the Alu-cab?

1EPICFJ

Thanks for the feed back. Are you worried that the shocks/struts being mounted on the outside of the tent could be vulnerable to tree branches catching them and knocking them off or breaking them? Is this roof top tent very much lighter in weight compared to the eezi-awn stealth or the Alu-cab?

You're welcome. No, I'm not too worried about the lifting shocks being damaged. If I'm that worried I could always carry a spare. Plus, if I'm worried about that I'll be even more worried about damaging the SunPower solar panel I plan on mounting on the tent.

Weight is similar to advertised weight of an AC. I've heard the AC's actually weigh more than stated, but have yet to prove that myself. All I know is this will be one sweet setup and something I'm going to enjoy for years to come. I'm mounting this on a Front Runner rack on my FJ. The FJ is wide and my suspension is built for this, so I'm not worried about the weight on top at all.

If you're interested you should reach out to Joost at Rhino Adventure Gear. Great guy and he's got a couple left that are coming in the late April to early May delivery. Glad I snagged mine!

Last edited:

Nathansharkey80

You're welcome. No, I'm not too worried about the lifting shocks being damaged. If I'm that worried I could always carry a spare. Plus, if I'm worried about that I'll be even more worried about damaging the SunPower solar panel I plan on mounting on the tent.

Weight is similar to advertised weight of an AC. I've heard the AC's actually way more than stated, but have yet to prove that myself. All I know is this will be one sweet setup and something I'm going to enjoy for years to come. I'm mounting this on a Front Runner rack on my FJ. The FJ is wide and my suspension is built for this, so I'm not worried about the weight on top at all.

If you're interested you should reach out to Joost at Rhino Adventure Gear. Great guy and he's got a couple left that are coming in the late April to early May delivery. Glad I snagged mine!

I sure wish they had more videos showing their roof top tent. I am curious about the opening and closing and also the front awning system. It looks like they have an extra set of bars in the front for the awning.

Nathansharkey80

How easy is it to remove the front awning supports? I have a full size Range Rover and the back window flips up. I would have to remove the supports every time I flip the back window up to access my fridge. Stove, clothes etc...

1EPICFJ

How easy is it to remove the front awning supports? I have a full size Range Rover and the back window flips up. I would have to remove the supports every time I flip the back window up to access my fridge. Stove, clothes etc...

See my post on the other thread. It is possible as I saw this on Joost’s 200 series LC.

How much room inside the tent for storing pillows and blankets?

Lots of room, Joost had multiple pillows and sleeping bags in his and shut it without issue. You could fit a mattress topper in it too.

Nathansharkey80

Stopped by Rhino Adventure Gear today to pick up a REDARC DC to DC Charger. Took some pics of Joost's 200 series LC with the Camp King. Figured this will help others understand how well this tent is made

View attachment 504686View attachment 504687View attachment 504688View attachment 504689View attachment 504690View attachment 504691View attachment 504692View attachment 504693View attachment 504694

Looks pretty fantastic. I will be giving them a call when I am back from holidays.

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
Or this one?

90x54
5.25" closed
54" tall open
117 lbs (less with production models)
Custom colors

Best of all - an actual aerodynamic, low profile hard shell RTT.

qYc5AMa.jpg

vPLWYIo.jpg

MS4DzyD.jpg

Zz8xMn4.jpg

unsung

I am almost 6'4" so a hardshell is a limited market for me. Still looking, hard to decide.

shade

I am almost 6'4" so a hardshell is a limited market for me. Still looking, hard to decide.
If possible, get to a show to try out several.

As you know, your height puts you in the range where some may not work as well for you as someone else of the same size. I know Wiley of GFC is taller than you and fits his camper well, but at least one person slightly shorter than him complained about the bed length, while others of similar size have been happy as it is.

unsung

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles