Hard Shell RTT - Alu Cab vs GFC vs Camp King

1EPICFJ

UPDATE: If you're reading this post, you can skip the data points below and just order a Camp King! Chat with Joost at Rhino Adventure Gear and he'll get you taken care of!

I'm in the market for an RTT and have narrowed it down to the Alu Cab Gen 3 RTT and the Go Fast Campers RTT. To give some background/logistics:
  • I have a 2013 FJ with a Front Runner Rack installed
  • The FJ is lifted 3 inches and is on 33's
  • I'm looking for something that two adults max can fit inside
  • I'm 6'6" and 300 lbs (wife is much smaller so not worried about weight limits)
  • I want something easy to setup/takedown
  • I'm all about comfort
From my research/observations, I find the following to be a list of Pro's/Con's for each RTT:

Alu Cab Pro's
  • 3rd Generation, most of the kinks have been worked out
  • Available in stock, can be delivered within a week
  • Can leave bedding inside, add mattress topper, and integrates easily into my Front Runner Rack
  • Canvas materials appear to be better quality than GFC
Alu Cab Con's
  • Heavier than most RTT's
  • Bulky (wide and tall)
  • Poor craftsmanship
GFC Pro's
  • Low Profile at 6 inches
  • Can fit FJ in the garage (if I remove the Front Runner Rack)
  • American Made
  • Light weight compared to Alu Cab
GFC Con's
  • Longggg lead times to take delivery from time of order
  • Shipping prices are absurd ($500, really?)
  • First Gen, always a risk in being an early adopter
  • Can't use with Front Runner Rack (not a big deal as I can move the rack to the wife's 4Runner, but I have a roof mounted connector that may not fit below the GFC tent)
  • Can't leave much bedding inside or add mattress topper
For those of you that own one of the above - Please tell me your thoughts/opinions, as I've formed my list of Pro's/Con's based upon physically seeing these RTT's and speaking with other owners, as well as reading these opinions from several sites online.

I may also consider an Auto Home Columbus Variant Small XL, so if you have experience with these I'm all ears. Thanks!

Last edited:

rshuckfinn

Adventurer
I am the same size and have been looking at hard shell tents. I think I am going to go with a James Baroud XXL. I looked at both the alucab and GFC. If I where between the two I would go with the AluCab.

crazysccrmd

Observer
If weight and size are important the GFC is a no-brainer. If those aren’t the primary concerns the Alucab will be on the truck sooner and offer the convenience of leaving bedding inside it.

1EPICFJ

Not being able to leave bedding inside defeats half the purpose of the RTT. Insane wait times are also not something I'd get behind. From these two options, get the AluCab 100%.

Agree, I'm just curious if I can leave anything inside. Apparently the wait times are June 2019.

I am the same size and have been looking at hard shell tents. I think I am going to go with a James Baroud XXL. I looked at both the alucab and GFC. If I where between the two I would go with the AluCab.

The problem I have with the JB XXL is the width. That thing would hang so far off my rack. What would make you choose the Alu Cab over the GFC?

NudeLobster

Agree, I'm just curious if I can leave anything inside. Apparently the wait times are June 2019.

You cannot store anything in the GFC aside from sheets. Pillows, blankets, comforters, ect all have to be stored in your vehicle.

If you are worried about the JB XXL width, take a look at Autohome XL's. their XLs grow mostly in length, not much in width.

The JB XXL is wide but honestly it's still more narrow than an FJ. It doesn't look all that weird nor does it actually hinder fitting anywhere. The JB XXL is still a full foot more narrow than an FJ. it will just square up your roof line a more with the hips/belt line of the truck. I think JB tents are generally nicer than autohomes...

1EPICFJ

You cannot store anything in the GFC aside from sheets. Pillows, blankets, comforters, ect all have to be stored in your vehicle.

If you are worried about the JB XXL width, take a look at Autohome XL's. their XLs grow mostly in length, not much in width.

The JB XXL is wide but honestly it's still more narrow than an FJ. It doesn't look all that weird nor does it actually hinder fitting anywhere. The JB XXL is still a full foot more narrow than an FJ. it will just square up your roof line a more with the hips/belt line of the truck. I think JB tents are generally nicer than autohomes...

Thanks for the info on the GFC. Graeme from GFC said the most I can fit in is a 1" mattress topper.

I looked at the Autohomes as well, but not sure that I'm into them. What are your thoughts on the Alu Cab?

NudeLobster

Thanks for the info on the GFC. Graeme from GFC said the most I can fit in is a 1" mattress topper.

I looked at the Autohomes as well, but not sure that I'm into them. What are your thoughts on the Alu Cab?

My end goal is an Alucab! :) I'm also only 5'7", though. The alucab seems to have a really good overall fit and finish to it, IMO. I am in Arizona and the sun is brutal on fiberglass. I am rough on my gear and don't slow down much for brush. I also plan to skip the roof rack and mount all my lights straight to the tent. All of these lead me to aluminum tents. There is also the Eezi-awn stealth and Blade, as well as the Camp King. Camp king is pricey, though large windows, good wieght, and thin. The Stealth and Blade have an odd shape to them that I think is not condusive to storing a lot of gear. In the winter we have at least one down comforter, blankets, etc and the Eezi-awns are only 6" in the front half so I beleive you have to store your thicker bedding in the hull/hump thing in the rear of the eezi-awns. The stealth has a great enterance awning with integrated spring poles sewn in rather than seperate pieces, though I find the scissor more liability to slow up take down than the foot space is worth for me. The Eezi-awn blade has large windows as well.

Honestly, I would go Camp King over Alucab if I ever came across a used one that was 4k or less but I can't justify the full 5k retail for the small benefits over the alucab.

DCH109

Adventurer
Just as a little info.
I ran an older Maggiolina Adventure XL on my FJCruiser. This was one of the largest tents that Autohome made.
I had the same as you 3" lift and 33"s, while I had a Baja rack that should not matter much. First, it was stable at all speeds and off road. Second my fuel economy was brutal and going up hills I felt limited.
It hung over the side about 2" on each side. It was about the size of a king size bed, I kept my sleeping gear inside and i replaced the mattress with a custom one from the foam factory https://www.foambymail.com/.

That said I would not buy another brand again. I have had soft shells and nope. I banged the corner of my Maggiolina RTT on a tree while off road. Not only did this problably save my window (as it was hung over by 2") but the tent had zero damage, the tree sadly was not so lucky and had a large piece of bark removed.

1EPICFJ

Honestly, I would go Camp King over Alucab if I ever came across a used one that was 4k or less but I can't justify the full 5k retail for the small benefits over the alucab.

I checked out to the Camp King and do like it, but it is wider (about 1-2") and weighs about 10 lbs more than the Alu Cab. Looks like there's a dealer for their products in San Diego, so I may try to visit them in the next few days to check it out.

Just as a little info.
I ran an older Maggiolina Adventure XL on my FJCruiser. This was one of the largest tents that Autohome made.
I had the same as you 3" lift and 33"s, while I had a Baja rack that should not matter much. First, it was stable at all speeds and off road. Second my fuel economy was brutal and going up hills I felt limited.
It hung over the side about 2" on each side. It was about the size of a king size bed, I kept my sleeping gear inside and i replaced the mattress with a custom one from the foam factory https://www.foambymail.com/.

That said I would not buy another brand again. I have had soft shells and nope. I banged the corner of my Maggiolina RTT on a tree while off road. Not only did this problably save my window (as it was hung over by 2") but the tent had zero damage, the tree sadly was not so lucky and had a large piece of bark removed.

Good info, the fuel economy is what it is. The FJ isn't that great already, then add the extra weight up top. Looks like it's time for me to add a second tank...

DCH109

Adventurer
Good info, the fuel economy is what it is. The FJ isn't that great already, then add the extra weight up top. Looks like it's time for me to add a second tank...

Agreed, and with the weight and 33" tires not only was the fuel economy destroyed, but you can forget cruse control except maybe on the flats. Going through the Texas Panhandle and I had a headwind, I felt it very well. Big rigs were passing me constantly.

1EPICFJ

Man, the more I look at the Camp King the more I want it. AND I can pick it up here in San Diego! Tough decision...

bob949

How about an I Kamper

1EPICFJ

How about an I Kamper

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not into an IKamper.

Nathansharkey80

I am curious why you think it is much better than Alu-cab? How does it compare? What is better? Better design? Better finish? Better features? Which?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles