D45

Explorer
I am possibly looking at a hard bed cover, maybe, over a fiberglass bed cap

I am not a fan of the fiberglass flat bed lid covers

How are the hard bed tonneau covers, like Bakflip, Roll N Lock, etc

I would not consider the $100 soft material tonneau covers

phsycle

Adventurer
Had a Bakflip G2. I didn't like how you had to attach brackets on the inside of the bed. I always thought they would be susceptible to damage from cargo.

This time around, I went with Rough Country. Cheaper, no rails, can close the tailgate without lifting the cover first. 2nd option would have been an Extang Solid Fold. But they were $200+ more.

D

Deleted member 9101

I have one made by Gator and it works great.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I’m really liking my new TruXedo Sentry CT. The benefits of a roller without that box taking up a ton of space in the bed. Also easy to remove the “roll” if you want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Not sure if there is still an issue with them but, if you live in an area that gets snow Roll n Locks used to be a pain in the butt here. Snow seemed to cause them to snag and split apart. Also a build up of ice could prevent them form rolling. Personally, if going with a cover, so for a hard tri-fold.

tennesseewj

Observer
I've been toying with a purchase of this style cover for a while. Bakflip seems to be the most popular although you'll find mixed opinions on quality. The ones I've handled in person have seemed like good quality and the owners had no complaints.

Just FYI a large portion of cap & cover manufacturers have been gobbled up by a company called Truck Hero. If you go straight to their website you can compare a lot of the different sub-brands directly. I had no idea they owned so many brands.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: D45

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I have several hard surface 1 piece UNDERCOVER brand bed covers all purchased used off Craigslist. Nice construction, EASY to remove when needed, lightweight and you and the girlfriend can sit on top of it with the lawn chairs and Beer at the Drive In movie they are that strong!

$1,000+ new.

I have never paid more than $200 for any of them used off CL.

Undercover Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
Undercover Tonneau Cover While old school fiberglass tonneau covers looked cool and reduced wind resistance, having next to no bed access is too serious of a problem for most truck owners to deal with. But for a smooth classic look that retains your bed access, a hinged cover could be the way to go. The lightweight construction of the Undercover Tonneau combined with quick release hardware and an integrated LED make it the hottest hinged cover of the year.
Dale D who drives a Dodge pickup truck says:

The Undercover Tonneau Cover quality is top of the line. The cover fit my 2014 Dodge [pickup truck] perfectly. It took me between 30 minutes to an hour to install. I could have installed quicker, but a friend was there distracting me. The black color looks great with the silver color of my [truck]. Quick delivery. The delivery man called and met me at my house. He was extremely nice and helpful in moving the large package to the garage. A++++ company.

Phreak480

Army Guy
This does not allow full use of the bed, the hinges and braces are still in place

It's true the diamondback leaves the center panel in place, but it can be removed in about 2 mintues. I've had a lot of different bed cover options and it is by far the best.

jonathon

Check out Highway Products. Their bed cover is aluminum and hinged in the middle. Held in with two clamps close to the cab. All you need to do is pop the gas struts and the rear half folds forward, strap it and you have half the bed. It’s what I would go with if I knew one would work for me. I’ve seen them in person and that’s about the most secure cover I’ve seen.

I ordered a Gator SFX to try out on my truck. It is an aluminum framed soft tri fold made in the USA. Decided $269 was a lot better than $1000 to $2000 since I’m not sure if a bed cover will work for me. My truck is a Ram 2500 so it’s pretty tall stock and it has a factory locking tailgate. My experience has been, at least in these parts, prowlers are lazy and if they can’t see in or drop the tailgate they move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz