Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recalled for Risk of Collapsing

trailscape

Explorer
2aed9714fe618eed330301ca00b39ba7.jpeg

Esco jack stands. Been pretty happy with these. Pro Eagle jack. Good combination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Those Esco's are nice; do they have changeable pads with cupped style for axles too? I do not always go the frame for some jobs and like to jack and support the control arms for some tasks and like the grip of the cup style over the frame pad top like you have.

Than Eage jack looks dope too!

krick3tt

Adventurer
Yes I have used jack stands but I back them up with huge 6x6 and 8x8 blocks of wood that I keep around for just that purpose. Years ago a good friend (my doctor) was crushed by a vehicle that he was working under with no back up and the stands failed. Every time I get under a vehicle I think of him.

trailscape

Explorer
Those Esco's are nice; do they have changeable pads with cupped style for axles too? I do not always go the frame for some jobs and like to jack and support the control arms for some tasks and like the grip of the cup style over the frame pad top like you have.

Than Eage jack looks dope too!

Yep, I ordered a separate set of axle top posts to use with the stands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Jacobm

Took mine back, I plan on buying a set of Esco's to replace them with. I'll probably build some cribbing with 2x4s as well, we'll see. I've always used a wheel and the jack as backups, I figured if the jack stand collapses and the jack also breaks, at least the wheel underneath might save me long enough for the fire department to arrive. I did have a HF jack stand collapse when I was lowering a car onto it, which is when I stopped using them. They sat in storage until the recall came.

Some things at Harbor Freight are good. I like the ratchets and sockets I have from them, and the Apache cases. Love my Daytona jack, but that's so close to the Snap On (same manufacturer) that Snap On even sued over it (they lost).

DCH109

Adventurer
Took mine back, I plan on buying a set of Esco's to replace them with. I'll probably build some cribbing with 2x4s as well, we'll see. I've always used a wheel and the jack as backups, I figured if the jack stand collapses and the jack also breaks, at least the wheel underneath might save me long enough for the fire department to arrive. I did have a HF jack stand collapse when I was lowering a car onto it, which is when I stopped using them. They sat in storage until the recall came.

Mine never failed me, not once. and I replaced both front and rear axles on my FJ60.
That said, while they were the main ones on the frame I had a second set sitting as backups (not HF models).

They were returned this weekend for a gift card (planning on buying some little toy for my kids). Never a good thing when a company does a mass recall on a Jackstand.

Jacobm

Mine never failed me, not once. and I replaced both front and rear axles on my FJ60.
That said, while they were the main ones on the frame I had a second set sitting as backups (not HF models).

They were returned this weekend for a gift card (planning on buying some little toy for my kids). Never a good thing when a company does a mass recall on a Jackstand.

I had (naively, perhaps) made the assumption that they were smart enough not to cheap out too much on something as lawsuit worthy as a jack stand. Nobody cares when their 99 cent flashlight breaks, or their chinesium drill bit untwists if it's cheap enough, but jack stands kill people if they're not strong. I did the same with a gift card, but I got myself a random assortment of things to go with my new grinders, and some other stuff for projects I'm working on.

john61ct

Adventurer
It's not as if they are actually making them

They rely on the QC processes put in place by their suppliers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior