Harbor Freight compressors?

mparker

I was at my favorite odds and ends store, Harbor Freight.
I noticed these relatively small air compressors. 2-3gal..

They are really compact and could probably be taken off of the “frame” and made even smaller. They would need to be run off of AC power. I think most guys have some kind of inverter..

Anyhow what are your thoughts?

86scotty

Cynic
I bought a compressor from HF once. It had a lousy 90 day warranty. Guess how long it lasted? 90 days. No kidding. I had to lean on them hard to get them to refund me. They wanted to replace after I convinced them to do something, because they really didn't want to help me at all. No bueno. No more HF compressors for me. I buy some things from them but not frequently used power tools.

Good luck!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I haven’t had good luck with HF compressors. They seem to consistently underperform their specs. For instance, my pancake style nail gun compressor I got from them was great value at $50 or something like that, but you shouldn’t have to wait for a compressor to catch up to a brad nailer. It ends up running close to full duty cycle, and I’m sure it will end in a total smoke release.

It also has a super sensitive and poorly placed safety relief valve. Several times hitting it with a hose has resulted in dumping the tank, and the threads to connect hoses are cast into the pot metal housing, so failure is almost guaranteed there.

Bottom line, if you are trying to build something cool because you can, and have disposable income... go for it and share the result, but after you add up all the needed parts, wire, inverter, etc... I think you’ll spend as much as you would for a mid-grade 12V compressor designed for vehicle use and it will be way more reliable and have about the same performance. HF has lots of stuff that is great value, but not much of great quality that I would depend on in the back country.

sourdoughben

I have an older black tank 20gal. 150 psi unit that I use once in a while. It works but the compressor has a very had time starting on a extention cord. Ineffecient motor draws a lot of amps. Sometimes during use the reset button pops out. Typically HF tools don't make for proud ownership haha.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I have a 12v hf compressor that’s going on year 9 of service and has always worked flawlessly. Little slow but that just gives me more time to check the rig . You have to start the compressor first then put it on the tire or it overloads the motor .

mparker

I have a 12v hf compressor that’s going on year 9 of service and has always worked flawlessly. Little slow but that just gives me more time to check the rig . You have to start the compressor first then put it on the tire or it overloads the motor .

I have something similar... I really like it.. I think it will take my 265s (OE tires) from 20 to 36ish in around 1min?(never really timed it...) Its just a pain to get everything out, connect to battery, pump, unscrew fitting, check psi...... yada yada.. I love the under hood ARB mounts and quick connect fittings... It seems the ARB pumps operate like the ones at gas stations? They have pressure switch that automatically start and stop the pump, don't know if this is true for the single and dual?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online