Harbor Freight 40x48, Spectacular Mediocrity

D

Deleted member 9101

Looks good man, makes me miss my little trailer...lol

charlesshoults

Finished?

Structurally, the trailer is more or less done, but I do need to find some bracing for the outside corners. Brackets at the local hardware store were kind of expensive, so I may hit up Home Depot again next weekend. I'd also like to find some rounded corners so keep from cutting the tarp I'm going to cover it with. At the moment, the walls lean out a bit because they are not bolted to the frame yet.

sd532501.jpg

Here is what I'm thinking of for the gates. I'll have another horizontal board at the top, even with the walls, connected by verticals. I can then either have it slide on over pins which can be used to lock it, or add another board along the bottom to hinge the gate to.
sd532502.jpg

I'm thinking about making a couple lateral supports so that the tarp has a bow to it instead of flat. Maybe a couple 1x4s with a few spacers along their length, and a 1/4" piece of plywood on top to make the bow shape. Currently, internal height from floor to the top of the walls is exactly 21". Where the tenons fit down into the frame, might get reinforced with a sheet of aluminum.

charlesshoults

Storage

I have the lights reattached. I had to add two large washers as spacers for the brackets. After that, I've got about 1/8" clearance between the light and the wood. After that, you can see that I now have the first ammo can mounted with a 1" aluminum spacer between the can and the fender. I've been thinking about how to keep the handle from rattling, and thought about just cutting the handle off, but instead, I think I'll drill one hole through the center of the handle and into the can, the just bolt it down. With a rubber gasket, of course.

sd532503.jpg

sd532504.jpg

sd532505.jpg

sd532506.jpg

charlesshoults

Test Drive

I still need to pick up a spare tire, and a handle for moving the thing would be nice to have. It would also be nice to have a stand to set the tongue on, instead of setting it on a concrete block or on the ground.

I got up this morning and started working on the gates. I had to go to Home Depot to pick up hinges, latches and a few more boards to work with. I'm attaching the walls to the floor in a few places so that it doesn't flex quite so much, and stays more square. After finishing the gates, I took the thing for a test drive with just one rubbermade "Action Packer" in the box. The thing doesn't sway back and forth, which is good, but the thing bounces a lot and the hitch rattles. I need to either get an anti-rattle hitch or maybe just wrap it in rubber before putting it into the receiver. I drove the trailer down a road that is in the process of being resurfaced and when I got to the bump where the old surface meets the new, I just about lost the rubbermade tote to the bounce. It would be nice if the gear I plan on putting in the trailer weighed another 300-400 lbs, but that's a bit much to ask. Other than the gear you see in the pictures below, all I have left to put in it is a hammock, two cots, a two person tent and a folding chair. I need some ballast. I have a large rectangular camp stove that weighs about 35 lbs plus a bag of charcoal. I could stock up on some firewood, but where I'm camping in Indiana, you cannot bring in firewood from out of state.

I still need to attach the other ammo can. Each fender has two more holes drilled so that they are each attached to the walls with four large bolts. I need to do the electrical, cut out and assemble four trusses I'm using to support the tarp, and modify the tarp to fit the trailer, then install hooks for the rope tie down. So actually, I'm almost done, but the tarp will be many hours of work.

sd532507.jpg

sd532510.jpg

sd532508.jpg

sd532509.jpg

charlesshoults

Rattles

I went and bought a bicycle inner tube to try to isolate my receiver. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. I wanted to tightly wrap the tow bar, then insert it into the receiver, but it wouldn't fit. There is not enough space for one layer of rubber on each side. I cut a short section of tube and shoved about 4" into the tow bar to have a layer of rubber beneath it, then cut another strip for the left side. I would have liked to have one on either side, but again, not enough space. It slid into place, all except for the last inch, so I had to give it a good kick to finish it off. I used a utility knife to cut the opening for the lock, then secured it. Lastly, I took the rest of the tube and wrapped the outside tightly. Whether the wrapping does any good, who knows.

sd532511.jpg

sd532512.jpg

charlesshoults

Visibility

What others have said is right. The thing is so short that I can't see it at all from either of the outside mirrors. I can see a bit of it from the rear view mirror, but not much. Once I get the trusses in place, the thing should be a few inches taller, so hopefully a little more visible. I have one truss cut out and sanded, three to go. They'll be installed in pairs, between the vertical boards and removable, using wing nuts, or if I can find them, bolts with plastic handles. But not being able to see either side of it is pretty annoying.

Brutal-Force

I am building a Trailer to pull with my smart Fortwo using the same trailer you have. The base trailer is 151 lbs. Do you know how much weight you have added to your trailer so far? I would like to build something similar, but weight will be an issue.

charlesshoults

Weight

I'm not sure what the trailer weighs yet. I have some limbs I need to haul off to the dump. When I take them, I'll have them weigh the trailer empty. I do know that when it's hitched up to the Jeep, the trailer is still light enough that I can pick up the back end and move it.

My trip is in two weeks and an extra piece has been added to it. I'll be traveling from here in Western Nebraska, to Missouri, then on to Kentucky. On the return trip, I'll go through southern Indiana and Illinois, then a stop in Missouri to visit a Harley Davidson parts dealer, then a second stop in Missouri. I'll be loading my gear and my trailer onto the back of a 1993 Suzuki Carry and towing that mini truck back here. Japanese mini trucks are some of the oddest little vehicles I've ever seen, but as it more than doubles the mpg of my Jeep, I'll take it.

My trailer is essentially done. I'm now working on the canvas tarp. I need six more hooks to attach to the trailer, but the hardware store was closed today, so I'll pick them up later. I had some electrical problems since the Harbor Freight trailer parts are all painted. After chasing the problem for a while, I put a screw between a gap in two of the beams and the lights started working, so I made three short wires, drilled and riveted the wires, one from the tongue to a crossbeam and one on each side of that crossbeam to the longitudinal rails. Lights work great now.

Today, I hitched it up, took the gates and some of the hardware off, and went over just about everything with polyurethane. I'm beginning to think there is a conspiracy with some of Wal-Mart's suppliers. I bought two packages of L brackets to provide support to my two trusses. Each package contained four brackets, and should have had four screws per bracket, but each package was short one screw. Mildly annoying, but I was able to rummage through my hardware and find screws to fill the holes.
sd532514.jpg

The tarp started out as a 6'x8' Butyl-treated 10oz canvas tarp and when you have the thing indoors, it stinks. To get the right proportions, I had to shorten the tarp by about 15 inches. I then did a double fold and stitched it across. I was looking through all of my camping gear, looking for a sewing awl but couldn't find it, so I got to work with a heavy needle, artificial sinew and a pair of pliers to pull it through. I've since found my awl, but the hole in the needle is too small to thread the sinew, so I'm still stuck with the manual method. I should look at camping at Wal-Mart and see if they still sell them. No sewing section at Wal-Mart kind of sucks. So far, I have four loops stitched and have twelve to go.
sd532513.jpg

sd532515.jpg

EuroJoe

Adventurer
Looking forward to seeing the tarp finished, did you wash it? Will a canvas tarp shrink? Or stretch? Thanks

charlesshoults

Tarp Loops

I have all of the loops sewn on the tarp, and I have to say, I hate sewing sinew with needle and pliers. I've done it with leather and now with canvas, and it's not fun either way. It's yet to be seen how well it will hold up. I might load up the trailer this weekend and drive an hour or so and see how well it does.

It took me a little bit to figure out exactly how to route the rope to hold the tarp in place, and I ended up not using a few hooks. I may end up putting the spare tire from my Jeep on the front of the trailer, to give more space in the Jeep but partially to help weight distribution of the trailer.
sd532516.jpg

I've not tied the rear corners back yet. Doing so, should help take some of the slack out of the sides and hopefully reduce flapping.
sd532517.jpg

sd532518.jpg

I used sinew to wrap the ends of the rope prior to cutting.
sd532519.jpg

I should be able to open the front or rear gates by loosening the rope enough to slip one hook.
sd532521.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles