Happy New Year - Goodbye 2016

Bris31

Adventurer
Nice video Steve! Glad to see you are enjoying this beautiful country (feeling jealous though :) )
Hope to meet you somewhere this year as we have some plans for long trips.
Thanks for the New Year wishes and wish you the same.
Cheers
Brij

dietert

Happy New Year to you and Allison also. Great to meet you both, enjoyed your company and the summary in the vid above.

Dieter and Hanna
EV

Fugly

Adventurer
Steve & Alison,

Thanks for the vid....
What a ripper.....
Hope you both have safe travels in 2017........

Cheers Fugly

Bris31

Adventurer
Few overseas tourist rented this old manual LandCruiser troopy. The driver did put the hand brake on before getting off but the gear was in neutral. As I heard couple of people did try vainly to hold the rolling car from front bumper (not shown on video) but as it gathered momentum, it became dangerous for them dragging along so they had to let it go. It is really sad as tourists watched their valuables floating away and nothing could be done.

Shouldn't barge's rear ramp be lifted higher than shown in the video??

https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/336...back-of-barge-headed-for-fraser-island/#page1

Amesz00

Adventurer
Ah yes the trusty nonexistent 80 series handbrake... Have had a few mates fall prey to this, though thankfully with less catastrophic affect..

Awesome vid btw Steve, wish we could travel half as much as you guys do!

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Happy New Year to you and Allison also. Great to meet you both, enjoyed your company and the summary in the vid above.

Dieter and Hanna
EV

Thanks Dieter and Hanna
Sill one of the best nights for the year was pizza with you guys in the dunes. Thank you.
Smiles
Steve

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Thanks Dieter, Brij, John, Andrew and fugly, the Alison did a proper job, I will let her know you all liked it
That Fraser Island incident was certainly a scary accident. Glad you missed it John, how long you on Fraser for?
Bris, Always happy to met other forum members, what direction are yo heading this year?

Smiles
Steve

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
That Fraser Island incident was certainly a scary accident. Glad you missed it John, how long you on Fraser for?

Hi Steve

Just doing day trips over the school hols ...... with 15 or 16 passengers in a Canter usually or sometimes an NPS. Actually saw Ben (fg4oz) up there the same day the troopy went swimming. Hasn't been too busy up there. Nothing like last Christmas anyway. Double Island Point and Inskip Campgrounds are at bursting point though.

Bris31

Adventurer
Bris, Always happy to met other forum members, what direction are yo heading this year?
Smiles
Steve

Hi Steve, so far this year plan is:
1) Mid April - Kwaimble NP
2) May - Simpson, Birdsville track, Innaminka with Dan (AussieIron), Candy, +2.
3) June - Cape York
4) August - still thinking but ideas welcome.

I believe you guys have already done all that :)

Cheers
Brij

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi Steve, so far this year plan is:
1) Mid April - Kwaimble NP
2) May - Simpson, Birdsville track, Innaminka with Dan (AussieIron), Candy, +2.
3) June - Cape York
4) August - still thinking but ideas welcome.

I believe you guys have already done all that :)

Cheers
Brij

Sounds a very busy time for you. I am sure you will have a great time. We bumped into Dan in Cooktown many years ago, he has so many excellent ideas and was a joy to meet.
August is a great time to tour outback before it gets too hot.

We are planning a quieter year this year. If you are near Kenmore drop on in.

Cheers
Steve

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi Steve

Just doing day trips over the school hols ...... with 15 or 16 passengers in a Canter usually or sometimes an NPS. Actually saw Ben (fg4oz) up there the same day the troopy went swimming. Hasn't been too busy up there. Nothing like last Christmas anyway. Double Island Point and Inskip Campgrounds are at bursting point though.

Haven't heard of any sink holes up that way this year at least. Lol I still haven't taken the canter to Fraser yet, strange how you seem to explore areas far away before you get to the great local areas. Did get the chance to see a great hino 4WD near rainbow beach a couple of years ago. An awesome truck.
IMG_2786.JPG

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Did get the chance to see a great hino 4WD near rainbow beach a couple of years ago. An awesome truck.
View attachment 380979

Yeah Steve, know it well. In fact I had to snatch this very vehicle (with a Canter) and drag him up through the Noosa North Shore 3rd cutting last Friday cause he lost 4wd. Haha

Its one of 4 ATW-built Hinos belonging to Fraser Island Discovery Group. 2 of the ATW bodies were originally built on Canters as 22 seaters then Disco had the bodies swapped over to Hinos as the FUSO chassis died from the usual effects of constant beach work . The bus in the pic ("Warrior") and another ("Gladiator") have larger bodies (about 800mm longer) that better suit the big Hinos and end up as 26 seaters. The awesome dark metallic grey paint is Toyota 200 Series Land cruiser.
BTW I always tell my passengers when they first come aboard, "There's one big rule on my bus.... whenever we pass a Disco bus they have to wave madly, smile big and pretend like they're having way more fun". Haha.

It's even harder at home.....both my sons work for Discovery. Haha.

Last edited:

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Hi and happy new year everyone , hope 2017 is a great year.
Nice video Steve and Allison cant wait to see a few more of them.

Brij Kwaimble National Park is a great spot (Lemon Tree Flat) have spent alot of time there over the year.
Take a torch and check out the bat cave on the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles