Hannibal roof rack, 4runner console

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
We're selling everything that we wont be taking on our trip to South America. I will update this thread as items become available.

Hannibal Safari Rack - $400 NO LONGER FOR SALE
Model: Freelander, Measures 72" x 42". The rear section of railing is removable. If you wanted to mount a RTT, you have just over 40" between the side railings...although you could have an uber light, low profile rack if you just cut off all the siderails and fit any RTT

84-89 4runner Grey Center Console - $FREE just pay shipping

Big Agnes Groundsheet SOLD

Mountain Hardwear pants SOLD

Spot Personal Tracker SOLD

Spot Messenger 2 SOLD

items that we need/willing to do partial trades:
22RE spare ignitor
22RE maf
ARB adventure light LED
Outback Porta Privy

Last edited:

Bowwolf

I'm interested in the trailer. Tell me more - size, weight, load capacity, materials, wheels, etc. do you have anymore pics? It looks good.
Thanks,
Jim

Bowwolf

i'm at work until tomorrow so i can't take any pictures. When i bought it from a local guy, it was a goofy flatbed with a front lumber rack made for him by a buddy. He didn't know the load capacity of the trailer and i couldn't find any markings on the axle. The trailer is mounted on leaf springs & chevy 5-bolt wheels with 235x15's that have great tread. Bed is roughly 4'x6'. I believe the hitch accepts a 2" ball. Wiring is in good shape. The trailer connection is a 4 flat and the taillights are common led's you'd find at any autoparts store. Licensed and registered in tx as a homemade trailer.

I hacked off everything above the bed so it's basically a flatbed. Then i built up a "box" out of 1" square steel and skinned it out with plywood. The box is basically 3 fixed walls, with a hinged rear door. The roof is a split design, one half hinges up and the other is fixed in place. This entire box can be unbolted, then lifted off the flatbed trailer so you can use it to haul bikes, appliances or whatever. Two guys can lift it since it's so light but big. The box has no floor at all, except when it's bolted onto the trailer because the trailer's original metal becomes the floor. The original floor wasn't welded on there very well so it was noisy and flexes. I found a rubber truck bed mat to throw on it, and the weight and material quiets things down.

I wanted it to be a budget expo trailer to keep all of my camping gear inside 24/7. I built it before a trip to north carolina and kinda rushed a few things like the lid and rear door. The trailer pulled great for the entire 40 hour round trip to nc & back. Unfortunately, shortly after we got back from our trip i got bit by the pan-am bug and i haven't been able to shake it. Since then, the trailer has been a place to store random crap.

The lid wasn't done very well so it leaks a little. Not sure if i missed a spot with sealing up the plywood or if it's the low quality weatherstripping i used...that's what tarps are used for though :coffeedrink: The rear door is just a sheet of plywood with gate hinges and a padlock...again, i was in a hurry and planned on making a proper door with a frame and legit hardware.this was my first big welding project so some of the grinding & welding was nothing to brag about. It's not terrible either.

Let me know if i didn't scare you off :wow1: And i'll go home tomorrow and have a photo shoot for you
did'nt scare me off. I'll wait for the pics. Thanks, jim

defrag4

Road Warrior
nice rack, you decide you dont need one for the PanAm trip? i am still on the fence myself, leaning towards no

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
nice rack, you decide you dont need one for the PanAm trip? i am still on the fence myself, leaning towards no
Thanks. Unfortunately I picked up the rack before we decided we were going to do this trip. It's been on the rig for about a year now and I've decided we don't need it for what we're doing...

It makes the 4runner look mean, it's super light & it's functional...but for a 30,000 mile trip the affect on MPG will really begin to add up. I'd rather put the money into preventative maintenance or fuel. Plus, the roof rack screams "look at me" which we're trying to avoid...but it sure looks cool, right? :)

defrag4

Road Warrior
for sure, what are you deciding on rear bumper? Im trying to figure out how I am going to carry my jerrycans

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
for sure, what are you deciding on rear bumper? Im trying to figure out how I am going to carry my jerrycans
Haha, me too. I'm thinking about fabbing a tray to hold them. One that will bolt under the vehicle, to the "thing" that lowers the spare tire. I could store the spare in the vehicle, or maybe fab a rear tire swingout that "looks stock" for the spare tire.

My cans are airtight so I'm not worried about storing them horizontally. I would just have to keep an eye on them

defrag4

Road Warrior
Moving the spare in and out of the truck everynight to camp will be quickly turn into a pain in the *** (ask me how i know!) I would try to keep as much as possible out of your sleeping space

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
The spare would go on a small platform, above our sleeping space...basically above our feet, laying flat. Technically it won't have to be moved in/out of the vehicle unless we need to use it.

Seriously? No one wants a ridiculously cheap Hannibal rack? Bump to the top.

C'mon folks, this is a nice rack. If you get it, you'll buy us enough fuel to send us at least 4000 kilometers closer to South America!

Last edited:

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Thanks Toyo, it definitely is a great deal. I think in my original post I mentioned the bargain, but I edited it out because I thought maybe it was too long winded...I tend to ramble on.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior