Hands on, or end result?

displacedtexan

As you're going through the process of modifying and building a vehicle, do you do most/all of the work yourself, or do have a shop/shops you trust handle it?

I'm very hands on, the actual work is something I very much enjoy. Especially now that I have a shop, especially one that's actually pretty well equipped.

llamalander

If earning money or trusting people were my hobbies, of course I'd pay someone to make my truck dreams real!

tanuki.himself

outsource jobs that i don't have the equipment for, like heavy duty welding, but everything else i do myself. The more you build it yourself, there better your chances of keeping it working and maintaining it on the road, even if you are having to supervise others

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
For me it depends upon the work required.

My Time is worth more than my Money.

Therefore there are a lot of jobs I can do myself just as well as any "Professional" HOWEVER I still hire out a large number of those jobs as it's not worth my "Time" to to screw with em given the price I can hire a professional do the work.

Do what you are good at to earn a living and pay other professionals to do work for you that is cheaper to hire.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

I enjoy building and designing things. Most of my build was planned before I decided to make it a long distance traveller/offroader.

I have gotten my dad to do some of the more critical welding and a local fab shop has done lasering/press brake work to my specs but otherwise I have done everything but the exhaust and alignment.

Trolling junkyards and spending time in my garage makes me happy. No way j am paying someone else to do something I enjoy and most shops wouldnt do what I do anyway, and because I designed, built and documented it I know it inside and out.

That said... I am a parts manager at a auto dealership for a living lol.

Last edited:

Mtpisgah

If I have the skills and time, I do it myself. If not, I pay someone. Generally, I have more money that I have skills and time.

On my JT with ACCC i did the interior build of the camper myself, installed bumpers and winch myself. Paid someone to install the lift. I paid someone to install the ARB compressor but then did it myself on my wife’s JL.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I enjoy working on my junk. Pretty much work on everything to this point except I haven't rebuilt an engine yet and am actually looking forward to it one day.

N.Penley

It always depends on the job but I am leaning hard towards the pay someone side. life is short, spend it doing what YOU enjoy.

billiebob

IF the task affects the mechanical reliability of the vehicle, it gets sent to a shop with journeyman mechanics.... which I am not.
IF the task is more for a convenience item, like a stove or awning or roof rack and it is a bolt on after market thing I just git 'er done.

IF I'm building a SquareDrop on an existing trailer, I do it all mostly cuz the design evolves as the build proceeds.
Steering, driveline, brakes, engine all gets sent to a shop.

displacedtexan

I enjoy working on my junk. Pretty much work on everything to this point except I haven't rebuilt an engine yet and am actually looking forward to it one day.
I did my first last year. Got a pile of parts that was most of a long block and assembled it for an engine swap.

I had a lot of fun doing it, and it's done great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles