Handmade Leather Boots for Overlanding / Hiking / Etc.?

chet6.7

Explorer
Speaking of the correct last, this trail runner fits me perfectly in a size 14. Novel concept; shape the last like an actual foot.
Whoda thunkit?

These backwards thinking folks still think there are difference between men and women.o_O

FOOTSHAPE™
FOOTSHAPEOur signature FootShape™ comfort gives your feet more space to sit naturally and is designed to address biological differences in men's and women's feet.

WVI

Adventurer
The best modern boot I've used has been the Danner Pronghorn.
I'm considering a pair of GoRuck boots now. A buddy of mine has a couple sets and one he's logged over 300 miles in rucking with, and they are holding up great!

perterra

Adventurer
Right--but first, I have to know where to look... :)

I guess, but on foot wear I dont trust anybody's opinion but my own, really you just got to get out and try on stuff. The good shops will tell you to wear it around the store for an hour or so and get an idea, they will have you going up and down inclines, side hilling and working you way thru obstacles. Good luck on your journey.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Danner and Red Wing have kept the Country going for many Decades and most Boots with Vibram Soles are more than up to the Task, beyond that there is no point in hand made boots unless a person has foot problems where store bought boots won't go on their feet or they have one leg longer than the other,

If you want a good pair of Hiking/Walking Boots then a Climbing store would have the best money can buy, A good pair of 3 season Hiking Boots will last Decades, I had an Average pair of General purpose Hiking Boots I bought back in 2011 and I just threw them out this year Having worn them for the last 10 years or so, But what If you go down the Hiking Boot road then make sure they have Vibram Soles, ALSO, If you are going to be sitting around a Camp Fire then Buy Leather Hiking Boots, because One Hot Ember from a Fire will destroy a pair of boots with Nylon on the outside.

At the moment I am wearing a pair of Karrimore Trainner/Hiking Sneakers and I bought them in 2009 and they also have Vibram Soles on them and I have worn them when ever I was not wearing the other Boots.

A few thing to remember, 1) All the top Climbers will wear Boots with Vibram Soles because they have excellent Grip and can take a beating and Last for ever,

2) Leather being a Natural Product will be more breathable and most are Gortex Lined so they will be waterproof.

3) Nylon Boots are no good around Camp Fires, And sharp rocks can cause the fabric weave to fray and tear/split

4) A Good pair of Leather boots are fairly Snake Proof Too.

5) if you are going to be doing any Climing above the Snowline in Cooler Temps then a Good Two Boot System is another option and wear something a little less Robust to wear in the Lowlands.

Hope that Helps.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’ve always been partial to Vasque, and last time I bought a pair, they were available through Redwing stores. I’ve since moved on from Redwing for my annual work boot purchase, so I don’t know if they still carry Vasque, but I would struggle to change brands unless they stopped making them, as they stopped my favorite work boot.

Willsfree

once upon a time I wore the Vasque sundowners made in Italy.
Today Redwing makes them in China...they just don't have the support and fit like they used to.
Now I wear La Sportiva Pamir's, no longer available, but new models of similar build are.

Reactions: WVI

yfarm

Observer
Many manufacturers have migrated to cemented construction of hiking boots. My experiences with this construction method have been disappointing. The photo taken in 1/20 was at the end of a 5 day hunt in a desert environment. The boots had perhaps 10 miles before the hunt, walked several miles per day until that day which involved a 3 hour hike down a dry river bed and over numerous dry falls. After climbing a slope to the downed animal, the delamination was noticed. Never stored in a hot environment, no camp fires, etc. While not a high quality boot, I have experienced numerous similar failures with trail running and running shoes. Now I wear Vibram soled unlined made in the US Chippewas (20085 or 20080 but no longer sold) for hot climates, Russells for all else aside from mountain hunting and Lathrop and Sons mountain boots for serious mountain hiking/ hunting. Whites,Nicks or Trumans are more expensive alternatives to the Chipps. Relative to the picture, punched holes in the soles to make sandals as well as wrapping cord around the soles and hiked 3 hrs out with the sheep.

Attachments

• 27F375C5-6011-4E48-8E8A-29BF87199172.jpeg
    27F375C5-6011-4E48-8E8A-29BF87199172.jpeg
    704.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Northland

My USA Danner Marine Expeditionary boots are still going after 6 years of everyday wear. I unknowingly wore them past the point of being rebuildable or they would be getting redone. The first stitches recently gave out at the crease point. They wouldn’t even need soles if I didn’t wear them on concrete so much.

They took a long long time to break in, but after that I wore them 7 days a week.

I have these as well. Though I've only had them for a year or so, they've been great in hot weather. I usually rotate between these and some Danner RAT boots.

For winter I have the Danner Powderhorns. They are - hands down - the best winter boots I've ever owned. While I've had warmer boots from other boot makers, they were usually too damn big to do much in other than sit in a tree stand or to use ice fishing. I like to be able to put on one pair of boots in the morning and be set for the day, so with some of the big boots, I often ended up stepping on the gas and brake at the same time and having sweaty feet after more than 30 minutes indoors. No such issues with the Powderhorns. Snow, ice, rocks, -30, no problem.

For Spring and Fall I have Danner Santiams. Solid all around boot. I've had them recrafted three times so far.

al_burpe

Observer
I don't have either of these but have read positive things about both of them as affordable handmade boots. Jim Greens are made in South Africa https://jimgreenfootwear.com/. Thursday boots are made in Mexico for the most part but I believe they do have some made in the US. https://thursdayboots.com. I think they are both welted rather than a cement construction and can be resoled. I have some boots made by Nisolo but they were not as high of quality as I hoped. They are very comfortable however.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
My USA Danner Marine Expeditionary boots are still going after 6 years of everyday wear. I unknowingly wore them past the point of being rebuildable or they would be getting redone. The first stitches recently gave out at the crease point. They wouldn’t even need soles if I didn’t wear them on concrete so much.

They took a long long time to break in, but after that I wore them 7 days a week.

I have a pair of those. They have really gone up in price since I bought mine. I used to wear them regularly for my desert hikes. I need to pull them out and see how being in the closet for years has treated them.

DzlToy

Explorer
Yeah; looking at them too. I'm finding that they're all spendy but, hey, quality costs, right? And if you're gonna wear 'em for twenty years, suddenly they're not all that spendy anymore... :)

This. You can buy comfy tennis shoes, sandals or $50 Chinesium "hiking" boots, over and over and over again, or you can buy something more durable from a company such as White's, Lowa, Sievi, Wesco, Kamik, Baffin or Royer, once. You are supporting small/smaller businesses and buying something that will last a lifetime.

My Lowa hiking boots ($300 five or six years ago), aren't nearly as soft and flexible as the $100 Chinese-made Timberlands they replaced. However, a more durable boot is generally made for trekking or hiking with heavier loads, not for day hiking or driving your mall crawler all day. I have a pair of 8" leather lineman boots for cutting firewood and similar tasks. They are super comfortable, but I would not want to hike or drive in them.

INVEST in getting the right tool for the job, once.

perterra

Adventurer
This. You can buy comfy tennis shoes, sandals or $50 Chinesium "hiking" boots, over and over and over again, or you can buy something more durable from a company such as White's, Lowa, Sievi, Wesco, Kamik, Baffin or Royer, once. You are supporting small/smaller businesses and buying something that will last a lifetime.

My Lowa hiking boots ($300 five or six years ago), aren't nearly as soft and flexible as the $100 Chinese-made Timberlands they replaced. However, a more durable boot is generally made for trekking or hiking with heavier loads, not for day hiking or driving your mall crawler all day. I have a pair of 8" leather lineman boots for cutting firewood and similar tasks. They are super comfortable, but I would not want to hike or drive in them.

INVEST in getting the right tool for the job, once.

Just keep in mind that they may not fit you for a life time. From 55 years old to 65 years old has seen me go up a size and a half in length and from a D to an E in width.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I don't have either of these but have read positive things about both of them as affordable handmade boots. Jim Greens are made in South Africa https://jimgreenfootwear.com/. Thursday boots are made in Mexico for the most part but I believe they do have some made in the US. https://thursdayboots.com. I think they are both welted rather than a cement construction and can be resoled. I have some boots made by Nisolo but they were not as high of quality as I hoped. They are very comfortable however.
I'm liking the look of the Green African Ranger boot ---- looks like a nice blend between comfort in the truck and comfort walking a bit.

BTW, I got these on sale from REI a while ago and they're doing okay. Very comfy, sneaker-like. Merrell Ontario Mid Waterproof.
But they suck for driving. And I don't think they'll last all that long.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles