Handmade Leather Boots for Overlanding / Hiking / Etc.?

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
If I was back in the UK these (probably the Mallerstangs) would be top of my list for an every day walking and travelling boot in some form:

Given their range of military boots, as well as the civvy range (including walking boots) I think there would be something that works there.

I personally like stiffer, heavier duty un-lined leather boots rather than fabric boots, so their range works well for me. My walking boots dried out overnight after 6km of river walking, whilst wife and friend's GTX lined fabric boots were still wet the next day.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I've got fairly large feet, fairly wide, but not high in volume (I'm lean). So it's really hard to find boots and shoes that fit well.
I'm a CERT member through our county's Marshall's office and use the Danner Tachyon as my duty boot in the warm weather:
Cold weather it's Irish Setter (not the camo version):

Several years ago, frustrated at not finding a boot to fit, I tried Russell Moccasin. Bad mistake.
Did the meticulous measuring, sent in the tracings, paid up front, and waited for months.
Then they arrived. Gorgeous. Well made. Smelled great.
Two sizes too long and two sizes too narrow. They were also huge up top and the eyes overlapped when I laced them up.
So I gave them a call and told them they sent me the wrong boots. "Nope," they answered. Had me return them, refunded my money less $50, and refused to try and make it right.

I would think they'd do a better job if you went there and had them measure.

I've heard that Limmers are very good. But again, you need to go there and be measured.

pith helmet

My USA Danner Marine Expeditionary boots are still going after 6 years of everyday wear. I unknowingly wore them past the point of being rebuildable or they would be getting redone. The first stitches recently gave out at the crease point. They wouldn’t even need soles if I didn’t wear them on concrete so much.

They took a long long time to break in, but after that I wore them 7 days a week.

Last edited:

ChadHahn

Adventurer
I bought a pair of Russel Minimalist Short Thula Thulas from their sales sheet. Like another poster said, their sizes are not at like other shoe companies. I called them to verify that that the shoes I ordered would possibly fit. I wear a 9.5 EEEE and the shoes I bought were something like 8 EE. They ended up being a good fit. The shoes are very comfortable in nature but the lack of support makes them uncomfortable for wearing on pavement for extended periods.

I'd recommend Russel, but do some reading online first to figure out how their sizes correspond to what you're used to.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
I had a pair of Danner acadia's with the thinsulate lining, and they were the most uncomfortable duty boot I've ever worn. I kept them for an extra decade and tried them out every so often, but eventually I just gave them away. They had a really narrow toe box.

Porkchopexpress

In my experience, the more durable leather boots that last a long time compromise comfort and weight, (including Danner). I really like Scarpa and Salomon boots, (my Scarpas seem to be holding up better).

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I had a pair of Danner acadia's with the thinsulate lining, and they were the most uncomfortable duty boot I've ever worn. I kept them for an extra decade and tried them out every so often, but eventually I just gave them away. They had a really narrow toe box.
That's why I like the Danner Tachyon so much. Wide toe box, light weight. Like a tough sneaker really.
When I teach a class, it's 10 hours on my feet. My old feet. Sore old feet.

TommyG

Adventurer
Hanwag, Kenetrek Asolo, etc.

Lots of people love the Danner Mountain Lights.

I am going to try a pair from Origin Labs for a general purpose everyday boot. Hoping they will prove to be a good every day boot.

I have had good luck with Asolo boots in a lot of settings. My feet are goofy shaped and they fit me well. The above comments are accurate. Get the one that fits you the best. Don't limit yourself to a certain brand/shoe. Great quality boots that don't fit your foot well will be a nightmare.

perterra

Adventurer
In my experience, the more durable leather boots that last a long time compromise comfort and weight, (including Danner). I really like Scarpa and Salomon boots, (my Scarpas seem to be holding up better).

I would agree with that for sure. Though I bought a pair of Salomon Ultra X, very comfortable right up until they triggered plantares fasciitis and a neuroma. I dont think the boots were any more at fault than a foot issue they brought to light.

chet6.7

Explorer
All the replies above point out to what I insinuated. Nobody can tell you what is comfortable for your foot but you, and it can be an expensive proposition trying to get an answer.
Yes, the last used in the boot is important. The Danner 850 last fits me, I have 2 other pairs of Danner's made with different lasts that are uncomfortable, so not worn. I hope to be able to go to Spokane and get fitted at White's or Nick's this summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles