Haming it up finally

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Congrats, John.
Did you try hitting the repeater I mentioned earlier?
It's usually free in the morning; we can get Tennmogger up early and have a 3 corners qso.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Congrats, John.
Did you try hitting the repeater I mentioned earlier?
It's usually free in the morning; we can get Tennmogger up early and have a 3 corners qso.

I can't hit it from the house yet. I have to get the antenna in the attic or trees. I can hit it from the mobile while on the road in most places though.

CGS

Observer
Hey guys,

Just 2M for now. I have the Kenwood 281A and a Yaesu FT60R. I made some contacts on the mobile and then from the HT off the back deck. I'm going to have to get an Antenna in the trees or attic since I live in the worst possible spot for RF in my area. I'm on a hill, in a hole, which is on a hill....in a hole.:snorkel: and I have a mountain to my east and north. I need a 300 ft tower and some whoppie lights.

Thanks for the Congrats...so much to learn and so much fun. :)

I like both of those radios. I have two FT-60s and had a TM-281. Probably should have kept the Kenwood. Dead simple and reliable.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
I installed an NMO mount 2m only 1/2 wave antenna on the truck. Drive thru ordering is spotty, but the comms are much better.

Carry on.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I installed an NMO mount 2m only 1/2 wave antenna on the truck. Drive thru ordering is spotty, but the comms are much better.

Carry on.

Depending on your scan-**** level, I've found drive thrus come in quite clearly.

Do you want fries with that? :sombrero:

johnspark

Ramblin Man
I've been challenged to get the Extra, so I'm studying again. I should take it on November 5.

Saturday, I helped a few guys put up a small antenna tower at a local ham's house. Worked well, but might need some additional tweeking later on. I really learned a lot on that outing. Looking forward to more!

Finally, I just set up D-RATS and will have my first check in on the South East ARES DRATS net tonight.

We're going to try and go camping this weekend, hopefully we can do some long distance simplex on the 2M. I am still looking for the right HF rig.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
The one on the right looks like my old antenna from way-back-when. We had it on the roof. It was during the golden age of CB....

I was driving through CC the other day calling out on 2M Simplex and the Jasper 805 but couldn't catch you listening. Maybe next time.

Do you have the Cumming, GA. 147.150 machine's pl tone by chance? The two listings I have gave 100 and 131.6 and neither are working for me.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I was driving through CC the other day calling out on 2M Simplex and the Jasper 805 but couldn't catch you listening. Maybe next time.

Do you have the Cumming, GA. 147.150 machine's pl tone by chance? The two listings I have gave 100 and 131.6 and neither are working for me.
I'm usually listening to Cherokee County EMS/SO when I'm driving around unless I'm expecting to talk with someone. I put the box on .52 on the highway or in the woods though.

I don't know about the Cumming repeater. Ask Bob Johnson at the Ares meeting. Bob knows everything in the area.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Makings of a "Go Kit"...

The lid's panel is removable. I have ideas and designs and thoughts, but no definite plan yet. I'd like to get something like a Yeasu 817 or similar for this setup. There is plenty of room for accessories. I'm still gathering intel and formulating plans.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
BTW: I put a Diamond X50 in the attic. I can hit the 955 machine in Dallas and a scratchy connection to the Repeater in Buckhead which is weird, since many repeaters are closer. I still can't hit the 805 in Jasper from the HT. Maybe once I'm running a higher wattage mobile or base.

Counterpoise

Those type antennas were available during the golden age of cb. They were tribanders back then. That may be a quadbander with the addition of new bands since then. That antenna would work on cb but a 3 to 6 element yagi would perform better.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
I went to the Hamfest at Stone Mountain and picked up a Yaesu FT817 for cheep! I really lucked out cause the guy was packing up to leave. Just about missed it. I've got it set up and running on 2m and I'm gathering the parts for a fan dipole now. I got the RT programming software and I've been playing with that tonight. It's great and easy to work with. BTW Bill, I can hit the Jasper repeater with this machine on 5 watts. That's 40 mile travel and I'm getting in with just some lite white noise. Stoked!

Anyway, I'm still working on the go box. It's going to start coming along faster now that I have the radio. I hope to have it all together for the Country Fried Weekend in January. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/164475-Is-there-a-CFW-2017

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94