Haming it up finally

CGS

Observer
Congrats. I got my ticket a few years ago for a few reasons. One I live on the Gulf Coast and learned about needing to have reliable comms during Katrina. I used a CB extensively to find active gas stations where I could avoid rationing. I could only imagine how much more useful having access to a 2m rig would have helped. I also wanted to have the ability to reach out where I might have spotty cell coverage when I take my family camping or hiking. Once I got my tech license I started playing with 10m and decided I wanted to get general. Its pretty amazing to realize that you can reliable talk to people or check into "nets" across the world from a vehicle. I would bet that there are very limited places that you couldn't hit a repeater with just a 2m radio and a 5/8 whip on top of your vehicle. In my old vehicle I could also reliably check into 20m nets on the drive to work.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Congrats. I got my ticket a few years ago for a few reasons. One I live on the Gulf Coast and learned about needing to have reliable comms during Katrina. I used a CB extensively to find active gas stations where I could avoid rationing. I could only imagine how much more useful having access to a 2m rig would have helped. I also wanted to have the ability to reach out where I might have spotty cell coverage when I take my family camping or hiking. Once I got my tech license I started playing with 10m and decided I wanted to get general. Its pretty amazing to realize that you can reliable talk to people or check into "nets" across the world from a vehicle. I would bet that there are very limited places that you couldn't hit a repeater with just a 2m radio and a 5/8 whip on top of your vehicle. In my old vehicle I could also reliably check into 20m nets on the drive to work.

Yep, every time I sit down and read something about this, it gets more and more interesting. I'm in an area that is saturated with repeaters of all bands. It's mostly 2M, but there are others. I plan to get the full 2M experience, then work into some HF once I find the right radio. So much to learn....

CGS

Observer
Good luck. It can be a lot to take in at once. If you want any info, feel free to PM me as well. I was lucky enough to have access to an "elmer" through my work which was probably the extra nudge I needed to get my ticket.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Good luck. It can be a lot to take in at once. If you want any info, feel free to PM me as well. I was lucky enough to have access to an "elmer" through my work which was probably the extra nudge I needed to get my ticket.

That's very kind of you Sir. Thanks, I might just do that.

BTW, I spent a few years crossing the Mississippi Gulf Coast Between LA and LA (Lower Alabama). I need to get back down there. It's been a while. Last time I was there was in Biloxi. We stayed at some Hotel around the strip. I don't gamble, so it was a people watching event for me. I miss the fishing and the hunting. Ok, gotta go but thanks and 73s.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Ha! I swear they gave me new questions I hadn't seen before! I passed though. I tried the Extra, but was not successful.

Now the wait begins again!
Congrats.
You tried the extra? It's a bit more difficult...
So you passed technician or general?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Passed Tech and General. I didn't pass the Extra.
General is pretty darn good on the first go. Nice job.
Bob's had his General for about 50 years and has never felt the need to get his Extra. I'm not sure if I will or not ---- the carrot dangling before me is the nice radio at the Cherokee County EOC; drool-worthy set up.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
General is pretty darn good on the first go. Nice job.
Bob's had his General for about 50 years and has never felt the need to get his Extra. I'm not sure if I will or not ---- the carrot dangling before me is the nice radio at the Cherokee County EOC; drool-worthy set up.

Hmmm, I'd like to see that set up too. I'm really about to get an education in radio myself. We're wiring a 911 Call center here in my area. I can't wait to see all the gadgets they bring in when we get it up and running. I'll see if I can get some pictures once it's up and running.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hmmm, I'd like to see that set up too. I'm really about to get an education in radio myself. We're wiring a 911 Call center here in my area. I can't wait to see all the gadgets they bring in when we get it up and running. I'll see if I can get some pictures once it's up and running.
Did you ever think of joining CERT?
https://www.fema.gov/community-emergency-response-teams
I took the basic training in Cherokee, liked the more advanced stuff and took more training. Now I'm an instructor. One of the classes is EOC call center staffing. ARES can also get you in there.

CGS

Observer
That's very kind of you Sir. Thanks, I might just do that.

BTW, I spent a few years crossing the Mississippi Gulf Coast Between LA and LA (Lower Alabama). I need to get back down there. It's been a while. Last time I was there was in Biloxi. We stayed at some Hotel around the strip. I don't gamble, so it was a people watching event for me. I miss the fishing and the hunting. Ok, gotta go but thanks and 73s.

You were crossing back and forth though my stomping grounds for sure.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Congrats and have fun. Hopefully the airwaves are more active there than here.

Congrats. Playing on 2m or 10 also?

Hey guys,

Just 2M for now. I have the Kenwood 281A and a Yaesu FT60R. I made some contacts on the mobile and then from the HT off the back deck. I'm going to have to get an Antenna in the trees or attic since I live in the worst possible spot for RF in my area. I'm on a hill, in a hole, which is on a hill....in a hole.:snorkel: and I have a mountain to my east and north. I need a 300 ft tower and some whoppie lights.

Thanks for the Congrats...so much to learn and so much fun. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles