HAMBO build thread

Abitibi

Explorer
Yup :D

I figures that'd be the most affordable way to do it.

For a year I was running a rear adapter spacer but really didn't trust it.

And I was right! On my last trip to Utah I lost a rear wheel while cruising at 60mph on the hwy. Luckily my wheel didn't hit anyone and I figured a way to crawl to a tire shop 10miles down the road. Not a fun experience...

Anyway, I researched my options and that's what I came up with.

Cheers
David

Ps. @Bikesmurf you can see part of my swaybar in the picture with the hub resting on the ground, lol

a116d6cbb2f0a644dd88888a1631a61c.jpg
ea3f4096a6c254da496db124b9d46801.jpg

Last edited:

iggi

Ian
As usual @Abitibi , you're leading the way for the rest of us. Thanks for sharing!

I'm behind on my conversion but have still been agonizing over the rim choices and just didn't like the idea of the adapter. I also really didn't want to spend the $$ on the Spyntech conversion so this is great.

Abitibi

Explorer
Looks like I'm well overdue for a quick update!

I'm just about done with the interior, just need to finish the section separating the front cab from the rear and re-install the floor so here's a bunch of random pictures showing the inside with the poptop down. All paneling is 3/4" cedar with a 3/4" thermal bridge behind, really well insulated!

The dinette also transforms into a single bed and the back sections can be used as extra countertop space. The lights can be turned on/off from 4 different locations throughout the van including from the driving area. The 2 lights at the back are on their own circuit so can be turned off if someone goes to bed early...

The main bed is approx. 54" wide by 7' long

32g water tank insulated and under the pillow area (there's also a large storage bin between the mattress and the water tank.

Tons of storage under the dinette's benches and in the foot area under the table.

Airtronic diesel heater, woodstove and hydronic diesel heater (which still need to be completed, getting there!)

20221030_154035.jpg20221030_154505.jpg20221030_154531.jpg20221030_154634.jpg20221030_154921.jpg20221030_155336.jpg20221030_155521.jpg20221030_155835.jpg20221030_160328.jpg

cabnetguy

Hi,
I have a question about the wheel adaptor that broke on you. Do you feel that a steel adaptor would have held up?
I was planning to use a pair on my truck but after seeing your misfortune, I think that I need to find another solution.

iggi

Ian
Great to see your progress! Also nice to see how much brighter it is inside with the windows. I haven't added any to mine yet and it's a bit tomb-like inside. Good for sleeping but tough when the weather isn't great and I'm hanging out inside.

Abitibi

Explorer
Hi,
I have a question about the wheel adaptor that broke on you. Do you feel that a steel adaptor would have held up?
I was planning to use a pair on my truck but after seeing your misfortune, I think that I need to find another solution.
Steel would be better but the real issue were the studs provided. I have a feeling that they were hardened too much and became brittle. I wouldn't run spacer again but with better studs it might work for you...

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Abitibi

Explorer
Great to see your progress! Also nice to see how much brighter it is inside with the windows. I haven't added any to mine yet and it's a bit tomb-like inside. Good for sleeping but tough when the weather isn't great and I'm hanging out inside.
Thanks iggi. Yes! The windows were a game changer in my 1st ambo and even more so in this one. Let's face it, there's nothing stealth about our rigs so might as well enjoy the outside views ;)

cabnetguy

Thanks for the feedback on the spacer. I'll have to decide if I want to rebuy steel spacers or do something with wheels instead. Steel spacers are $500 dollars right now and I think that for the money I could do something with wheels instead.

Abitibi

Explorer
Here's what I did and I believe it's the best option and the proper way to deal with this issue at a reasonable cost.

For $820 plus shipping I bought from East Coast Gear Supply new front hubs with the same bolt pattern as the rear (8x6.5)

TIMKEN SP940200 Includes Sensor - Front; 4WD; Single Rear
Wheels. Fits: 05-10.

Then I took my front rotors to a machine shop and for about $60 had them re-drill the new bolt pattern.

Now I have the same bolt pattern all around, new front hubs and peace of mind.

iggi

Ian
Here's what I did and I believe it's the best option and the proper way to deal with this issue at a reasonable cost.

For $820 plus shipping I bought from East Coast Gear Supply new front hubs with the same bolt pattern as the rear (8x6.5)

TIMKEN SP940200 Includes Sensor - Front; 4WD; Single Rear
Wheels. Fits: 05-10.

Then I took my front rotors to a machine shop and for about $60 had them re-drill the new bolt pattern.

Now I have the same bolt pattern all around, new front hubs and peace of mind.

That's a lot cheaper than the Spyntech conversion. Going that route seemed simple but at $1700 USD, not cheap.

Abitibi

Explorer
That's great to hear, I'll be in touch for sure, such a great island!

Thanks for the offer and see you sooner than later!

Cheers
David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles