Ham radio install question

locrwln

Expedition Leader
My 96 LC still has the stock double din radio installed. It's replacement is standing by, a single din pioneer. My question is has anyone installed their ham radio above the stereo? I am looking at the Icom 208 or Yaesu 7800. I know that the ham's put out a lot of heat, I was just wondering if the stock radio cooling fan in the dash of the 80 series could keep up. I would be mounting the ham on top of the stereo. I know physically it will fit, I just don't want to burn one or the other radio's up with too much heat.

Thanks,

Jack

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The 7800 has a little fan on the back of it and so it needs a little air space around it. I think the better route is to just mount the face on the dash and put the rest someplace with more air flow, if that's an option for you.

I would have thought the radio would be too deep to fit in the dash, but I haven't tried. My radio at full power draws about 8 amps, so I would expect to have to exhaust about 80~90 watts of heat at the most (if it helps, visualize cooling a light bulb). But it's fairly intermittent and the high heat is only on full power transmit, so if there's a fan in the dash and way for the air to flow around the radio, it could work.

Radios built certainly in the last decade (and probably more like 15 to 20 years) will have thermal shutdowns, so if the radio overheats it should protect itself. Although if the audio radio is generating a lot of heat, the 7800 fan only kicks on when its transmitting, so just listening it's conceivable it might get kinda hot. I dunno, depends on how much free air is flowing around inside the dash.

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
I agree with Dave on the remote mounting recommendation. One thing to consider (for the Yaesu FT7800)- It's actually smaller than DIN sized. It won't fit right into an open slot.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
BogusBlake said:
I agree with Dave on the remote mounting recommendation. One thing to consider (for the Yaesu FT7800)- It's actually smaller than DIN sized. It won't fit right into an open slot.

I understand the remote mounting, I could if I have to, but I would rather not, if I don't. I know that both the hams I mentioned are smaller than din and that's ok, I can fill in the extra space. My biggest worry is the heat, maybe I will have to give it a shot. Most of the time the ham will be off, and rarely will it be transmitting at full power. I think I am going to have to give it a shot. I will let you know how it goes.

Jack

gary in ohio

Explorer
Heat is not only an issue when the radio is running but when its not even on.
In the dash it can get VERY hot, remoted under a seat with room around it would be better for the RF deck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles