HAM Operators- Post up here

frosty06

Tom
Middletown, NJ
KD2QDK
UV5-R

No idea what I’m doing. Listen in on local repeaters and use the flashlight on baofeng to find my car keys.

ultraclyde

Observer
Decided to go ahead and get my technician license and a handheld for a trail ride in just over 2 weeks. The test is in 9 days. Studying like mad on HamTestOnline. Wish me luck!

I passed my test yesterday with 100%. Should have my call sign by the end of the week. Bought a Baofeng BF-F8HP, a magnetic 1/4 wave antenna and a handheld mike, all installed in my Jeep. I'll update with my call sign when I get it.

ultraclyde

Observer
I passed my test yesterday with 100%. Should have my call sign by the end of the week. Bought a Baofeng BF-F8HP, a magnetic 1/4 wave antenna and a handheld mike, all installed in my Jeep. I'll update with my call sign when I get it.

David
Warner Robins, GA
KN4OKF
BF-F8HP mobile mounted with a Nagoya mag mount 1/4 wave

boelt63A

KF4ZAN
Wellborn, Florida
Icom 706MkIIG in the truck and an Icom 7200 for portable operations.
Mobile HF depending on band conditions and local repeater chatter.
Monitor 6M and 2M generally on the road.

Hey all!
I just passed my tech test last week and got my call sign

KJ7AQG

Now I’m trying to figure out what radio I want to run in my FJ. I think I’m leaning towards a Yaesu 2980 just as something to get started with. But if it’s worth it to invest in something a little better from the get go then I guess I should probably do that. Any opinions or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Colin

prerunner1982

Adventurer
Hey all!
I just passed my tech test last week and got my call sign

KJ7AQG

Now I’m trying to figure out what radio I want to run in my FJ. I think I’m leaning towards a Yaesu 2980 just as something to get started with. But if it’s worth it to invest in something a little better from the get go then I guess I should probably do that. Any opinions or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Colin

Congrats Colin. The 2980 is likely a good radio, have heard the 2900 was a tank. Not sure what they changed besides adding 5 watts. The Yaesu 3100 is a good radio and the front firing speaker may save you from having to run an external speaker depending on where you mount it. I have the 3100 but use it strictly for APRS. A 2m only radio should be able to get you by fine. The Montana Linked Repeater Association linked system uses all 2m repeaters.

A dual band/Dual receive radio is nice if you want to monitor more than one frequency or use cross band repeat (use Handheld when away from vehicle). A benefit of a dual band is that most all of them use remote heads so only the display/controls need to be mounted on the dash while the large radio body can be mounted anywhere.

What options do you want/need and what's in your budget? Really you can't go wrong with any radio from the big 3 (Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood).

Billoftt

K4WGA-General
Bill in Beech Island, SC
I run a Kenwood TM-V71 in my Xterra and I have a handful of UV-5Rs and their random variants. I am trying really, really hard to convert all that I can from CBs to hams.

Funnewguy

First Name: Mike
Callsign : KC5DWF
Radio : Kenwood TM-V7A and TH-78A (both not being used)
Freq usually on: 2m/70cm

I have been off air for many years, but have kept my license up. Will be back stirring the either some time soon.

FlipperFla

Forum Name: Flipperfla
Name: John
Call Sign: KN4EEN
Radio: Kenwood TM281
Freq: 2M 146.460

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles