Ham hand-talkie w/plug in 12V charger (not charger base)

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Lost my UV-B5 :(

So in looking for a new ham hand talkie I'd like to find a dual band (2M, 70cm) hand talkie, that the charger plugs directly into the radio.
Anybody seen reasonably priced (under $400 in my mind is reasonable) radios built like this?
The new Baofeng/Pofung 8 watt radios have a power port plug, but they still use the base to charge the radio.

TIA, & 73's

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Thanks Rob. :beer:

I did some searching around on Yaesu and Kenwoods web site. Looks like most of the Yaesu radios, and at least the Kenwood Th-D72A are set up this way. Fortunately all the ones I am interested in are under $400. :)

I've been kicking around getting a TS-2000, so I may end up with the TH-D72A, but I really like the Yaesu stuff.

AaronK

Explorer
Does it need to be a charger? I have a battery eliminator for my vertex standard that replaces the battery and plugs into my truck

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Does it need to be a charger? I have a battery eliminator for my vertex standard that replaces the battery and plugs into my truck

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

I was thinking about this when I had the UV-B5. We are in and out of the Jeep so much, that the DC plug would be easier than swapping battery to eliminator.

I have the Yaesu FT-60 as well and have had no problems with it.

Yaesu seems to make good quality stuff. I've read a lot of reviews on eham.net that agree with your assessment.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
My Yaesu FT-60R says it can't be charged with the cord directly plugged into the radio. It must use the stand.

Just an FYI.

K4CLC

My Yaesu FT-60R says it can't be charged with the cord directly plugged into the radio. It must use the stand.

Just an FYI.
They must have changed it, mine didn't come with a stand and has a charging port on the side of the radio.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I wonder if they changed the DC/DC converter to a less expensive Buck regulator style...
That would be a bummer. From everything I've read that is an awesome Hand Talkie.

I found out that the extended 3800mA batteries for some of the Baofeng product (like the UV-5R type radio) has a charging jack built into it. It is not 2.5mm though.
I either read, or saw on a YouTube video, that is might be 1.7mm pin. In any case, it wouldn't be too hard to find an adapter to fit.
Then it's just a matter of building a 10V converter, or adapt their USB charger cable that they've just released.

I ended up buying a couple of the Baofeng GT-3TP mark III with 3,800mA batteries for just under $40 each delivered. That will tie me over until Black Friday, when the good deals on great radios come. :)
I am thinking about building a charging cradle mount for them that will be secure enough hold them in place when bouncing around on the trail. Will be a fun rainy day project.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
The Baofeng UV-5R extended battery has a direct charging plug for it. You need to be careful about which charger to get though, apparently some chargers send 12V directly to the battery while others will regulate it down to the appropriate ~8V.

Links:
Extended battery example: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RYFX3C6/ - you can see the charge port on the 4th picture.
Charger: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B010CMAJRO/

I was looking at the charging base which has the step down converter. So their cigarette lighter adapter is just pass through voltage to the charging base. Their USB cable may be a step up converter to 10V. If so that would be even better. Just need to adapt to the smaller jack size. :)

For the radios I ordered, there is no jack in the battery case, so I may go ahead and add a 2.5mm jack in the battery case, and test out their USB cable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94