Ham/GMRS Install Location - Solved

dpsmedic

Adventurer
Have done a search but not found specifically what I am seeking. Cross Posted on the Communications thread.

Looking for ideas/photos of where you all have installed your Ham/GMRS radios. On my 2013 JKU, Quadratec had an easy mounting system above the rear view mirror which is no longer available for the 2022 392. I like a clean, not really visible install, so the top of the dash is out, though that is where I have my 67designs rail mount for my phone and InReach which are both removed when out of the vehicle.

Not sure I want to go with an overhead Molle type panel so seeking your ideas. I will be installing my BTECH Mini UV-25X4 25 Watt Tri-Band Base, Mobile Radio: VHF, 1.25M, UHF Amateur (Ham) again.

Any ideas/photos you may have would be appreciated. Thanks

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I put mine in the glovebox because I prefer it to be out of sight/out of mind for the 99% of time I'm not using it.
I still leave it turned on so I can hear it, but have no need of the cord swinging in my face or whatever.

It's working out great.

-Dan

KellyM

Adventurer
Have done a search but not found specifically what I am seeking. Cross Posted on the Communications thread.

Looking for ideas/photos of where you all have installed your Ham/GMRS radios. On my 2013 JKU, Quadratec had an easy mounting system above the rear view mirror which is no longer available for the 2022 392. I like a clean, not really visible install, so the top of the dash is out, though that is where I have my 67designs rail mount for my phone and InReach which are both removed when out of the vehicle.

Not sure I want to go with an overhead Molle type panel so seeking your ideas. I will be installing my BTECH Mini UV-25X4 25 Watt Tri-Band Base, Mobile Radio: VHF, 1.25M, UHF Amateur (Ham) again.

Any ideas/photos you may have would be appreciated. Thanks
I am also looking for a clean solution for a GMRS radio in a 2022 392 and coming from a 2013 JKU, but dropping my ham.

zgfiredude

I just installed my KG1000G (removable face plate) as follows. I got the Teraflex ARB compressor mount for under the passenger seat....the head unit lives there, sturdy and all wires easily hidden. I then mounted the faceplate on the MPS molle overhead panel referenced above. I like it. It's visible for the driver, accessible, and simple.

fd6axc4

I am leaning in that direction as well and mounting the head unit on the bracket to the left side of the driver foot well. Small cavity there.

I just installed the MXT275 and was eyeing that location. Only problem was I wouldn't get anything screwed down to the bracket. I didn't want to zip tie it because I didn't want it rattling around. I was going to use self-tapping screws but those holes are huge and there's a wire loom near it.

I ended up installing mine in the glove compartment.

KellyM

Adventurer
@KellyM

If I didn’t already have a radio, this looks like a good option. I think it would fit behind the cover under the steering wheel. There is a plastic plug just above the left footrest through the firewall that would work for routing power. Controls are on the microphone, so the unit can be remote..

https://midlandusa.com/products/mxt575-micromobile®two-way-radio
I did see the MXT575 is available now. Great looking radio. Although my MXT115 works fine, I would like having the controls in the mic. I wonder if I could install it under the passenger seat. That's where I have my ham in my 2013. I'm just not sure if I could get the mic to a reasonable location from there without having to splice the cable.

@dpsmedic did you end up installing it under the steering wheel yet or are you still waiting for your 392?

dpsmedic

Adventurer
@KellyM - waiting for the Midland MXT575 radio to get here to do the install. Planning on placing the main radio body in the driver side footwell as shown in the photo in a post above . I measured out the open space above the bracket shown and it looks like a it will be a good fit. Will run the power cable through one of the two plastic plugs near there to the battery. Can’t put under the passenger seat since that is where my ARB Twin Compressor is located. I will use the Midland Microphone Extension Cable so no need to do any splicing and run it along the interior of the fire wall to allow me to put the microphone on the passenger side.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online