Halo-ier Bison

spectre6000

Observer

Pretty much the full AEV catalog on top of the Bison package for $12K. Additional non-Bison package on top of ZR2 with a bunch of AEV kit.

I guess GM saw Jeep selling 60-something thousand dollar Gladiators and interpreted that as an opening for even more expensive trucks.

The thing I saw that raised my eyebrow was the snorkel kit at $850. That wasn't in the option list when I ordered my 2020 Bison, but it's about half that to buy the snorkel as an accessory. Hopefully the doubling of price is a matter of installation cost.

Extremely tough, light weight protection that is fully crash tested and integrated to OEM standards including such parameters as mud traps and cooling capacity. I'm not aware of any other aftermarket supplier who has put that level of R&D budget and attention to detail into such a comprehensive suite of off road protection equipment. nor am I aware of any OEM putting that much effort into such a niche product (save Jeep). $5,750 is a solid deal for what you get. I could totally do without the embroidered head rests, floor mats, and badging, but that's the cost of the warranty.

Another $12K on TOP of the $5,750 for the R&P swap, bigger tires, flares, and speedometer calibration... Well, we'll have to wait and see what ultimately hits the ground with those fender flares, but that seems steep to me. What's great for us is that we don't have to worry too much about the engineering side of things. The 4.10 R&P with 35" tires and flares gets the OEM warranty seal of approval, and since there's no mention of anything about axles or anything else, we can feel pretty confident building to that spec and standard. Even more exciting is that we should be able to upgrade our trucks with these parts without much concern for resale since they're all under the OEM umbrella.

AEV's own Colorado rig is essentially this with a tray.

T-Willy

Nice find. And, what a build. It'd be nice to see GM coordinate warrantied builds for remote travel too--to fill some of Bison's or ZR2's touring gaps instead of strengthening its already-strong off-road chops. Things like upgraded payload, a subtank, a water tank, and a solar-ready house battery, would be fantastic to offer under warranty.

Beltfed

AEV wants $12K on top of a standard Bison and $13K on top of a standard ZR2 for the same base package on this build.
The Factory supplied Bison is then only ahead with the steel front bumper and skid plates.

Absolutely not worth the extra $12k on top of an OEM Bison for the squeeze.
I can see paying that on top of a standard ZR2, but sounds like the guys that paid an extra ~$6k for their Bison packages from Chev get screwed.
Way to go AEV!

Last edited:

delenius

The AEV ZR2 package does not include the front bumper and skids. The exact content of the packages are listed here:

If you want those too, then it will cost you $2499 for the bumper + $1267 for AEV Skid Plate Package 1 + $1035 for AEV Skid Plate Package 2 (here). That does not include the installation for the bumper (it is sold separately, not as part of this package).
So that more or less accounts for the difference between starting from a regular ZR2 vs a Bison. If you want "everything", you might as well start from a Bison.

All the articles I have seen describing these packages have been misleading. It took me a while to wrap my head around what you actually get. It doesn't help that the build page for the AEV ZR2 package shows a vehicle with the bison front bumper, which, as I mentioned, you cannot get as part of that package.

Beltfed

I think you missed my point.
For sake of clarity, let's say:
Bison = OEM Bison bought from Chevrolet.
Bison+ = This AEV package being discussed.

If you did one of these Bison+ builds from AEV with no additions and used a base OEM Bison to start, you would end up with the same truck as you would if you did it with a bone stock ZR2, with the exceptions of having the skid plates and the front bumper that already come with the stock Bison.

My point is if you build out the exact same vehicle, you are better off starting with a stock ZR2 as opposed to a stock Bison, as it's cheaper.
I realize the Bison+ package does not come with the bumper and skids, and you may be able to add them to the package for a serious uptick in price (ie. the Skid Plate package 1 & 2 pricing you mentioned), but all of those skids can be bought individually / separately, a-la-carte for a total of $1326 (Less the rear diff skid that appears to be added to the Bison+ package)

So start with an OEM Bison (that you paid Chevrolet an added ~$6k for) to save $1050 on the Bison+ package or start with a far cheaper ZR2, pay $1050 more plus the $3825 for an added front bumper and skid plates.
You'd save around $1200 by starting with a ZR2, and likely more depending on the deal you got off of Chevrolet for a far more common model of truck than is the OEM Bison.

Not to mention the fact that there doesn't appear to be any accounting for the guys that may want the Bison+ package but have already outfitted their trucks with some of the additional items already out for a-la-carte purchases like the snorkel, and Chevy's level kit.

I think the whole thing is poorly thought out, and badly marketed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles